Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, My young homers are getting the idea that the fat guy brings food at 5PM
AND
they get the idea that they will be put in the carrier taken across the yard and released before they get fed.
AND
they use the bob trap, not fast but not all that scared of it anymore.

BUT...

they don't fly straight to the landing board.
First, they fly to my roof and walk around for 20 mins, then the garage roof, then the row boat, walk to the end of the boat and take a short hop to the aviary, walk around a bit then to the landing board and play the bob trap game...(they try out several bobs) then finally go through.

It's a habit I don't want them to continue.
Think they will "grow" out of it or do I need to start throwing stuff on my roof to keep them flying?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Start whistling, shaking a can, or clapping your hands... whatever noise you want to make while you are feeding them. Then when they are out repeat this sound and they should funnel into that trap very quickly with no arguments. If they don't stop what they are doing and zoom into the loft they are being fed too much.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i have alot of the same problem when i first start training young birds. but once i get them out to about 1/2 or 1 mile they usually always go right to the trap and feed. their just playin around for now, they will bet better at it.

just keep a close eye when they are doing this, they can make easy targets to hawks if they are just sitting on the roof.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
AND
they get the idea that they will be put in the carrier taken across the yard and released before they get fed.
AND

BUT...

First, they fly to my roof and walk around for 20 mins, then the garage roof, then the row boat, walk to the end of the boat and take a short hop to the aviary, walk around a bit then to the landing board and play the bob trap game...(they try out several bobs) then finally go through.

Think they will "grow" out of it or do I need to start throwing stuff on my roof to keep them flying?
sometimes pigeons just like to be pigeons and just enjoy being in the outdoors.....would'nt you?. I think you may need more loft flying time, or days off race training so they can explore. they will be lean mean racing machines soon enough. let them have a bit of out time just because. IMO

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Found out they weren't fed this morning, since I was at school and dad (even though he's off) wasn't here all day either. So this afternoon when I let them out, they made sure I knew they were hungry once they were done flying. How? Well I was standing on the trampoline watching them and a couple decided to make some loops, flying straight towards my face, then turning a few feet from me, and landed on the loft. They know how to get my attention :p LOL. Two whistles and everyone's in the loft before I am, haha.

·
Registered
457 Posts
AND
AND

BUT...

I don't think this will be a problem when racing, or flying from a distance. Most, if not all my birds that do this do it because they are close to home, and there's no reason for them to trap, other than to go inside. It's like letting your kids out to play around the yard. They are not going in the house immediately after they are out. They play around until they want to go inside. Take these same kids out a few miles and let them walk home. Bet they will go straight in the house once they reach the door. Same with the birds. My birds that bask in the sun around the loft always trap if let loose from a toss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.