Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have eight yb's that are approximately 75 days old. They have all been out of the loft at least twice per week for over a month. I never force any of the birds to come out of the loft, so some have only been out a few times. Two of the birds were good flyers who could be out overnight if they chose, and would always make it back. Now that all of my birds come out, they won't leave the yard. Should I continue to let them out and wait for them to fly on there own? Is this typical?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
not sure how typical it is, but it is molting season right now and they may just not feel like it...but when the molt is over you can always basket them up and set them in the yard so they can see the loft and release them and then start going down the road with them to get them to range...that is what I have to do with mine as they are homebodies too...but they are real scrappy looking right now growing new feathers for the winter so they are at rest untill later.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you brought that up. They have been in heavy molt for a while. I'm seeing less feathers in the loft, so they may be close to being done with dropping feathers. Their faces and tails have new sprouts. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
While in molt, start basket training. Catch them and put them is sight of the loft wait until they calm down, about five to ten minutes. Then release them. Do this about five times at different points in your yard. North, West, South and East if you can. Always release them toward the loft. After that go just out of sight of the loft and do the same, also about five times. After molts over head down the road about a half mile. Work in a counter clockwise direction. When the birds circle to find their way they tend to fly clockwise.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks BigT. The one you sent with two bands was the last to come out, but comes out now with no hesitation. I'll try it this weekend when the weather gets straight. It's been raining here for more than a week. I think I'm going to turn into a mushroom.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Thanks BigT. The one you sent with two bands was the last to come out, but comes out now with no hesitation. I'll try it this weekend when the weather gets straight. It's been raining here for more than a week. I think I'm going to turn into a mushroom.
You know what, I forgot to record your bands. Could you pm me the band numbers and color. That way if it gets lost and someone call me I can forward them to you.

Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts