Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a pigeon come to my yard, he is all puffy and diarrhea, he is very quiet. He is eating but not making much of a fuss, he lets me pick him up. I gave him 62,5mg Metronidazol just one time today, I am suspecting he has by his symptoms "giardia" I don't know if I am saying that correctly in English, I am trying to find the translation from Portuguese.

In Brazil we call one of his symptoms, "dry chest" which seems like his sternum is protruding like a point or knife. Does anyone have any suggestions or how to treat him?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you can't see his chest, he looks very healthy but I know something is up with him and I can feel his chest bone protruding in the middle.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Beautiful bird. Not sure what the chest means. Hope he is all better soon. Are you sure it's not a broody female? Our girls make piles of smelly poop when broody. Can you post a photo of the droppings?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Puffed up and protruding keel can mean many different illnesses. If the keel bone is protruding, then he isn't eating enough. If he is puffed, he is sick and trying to stay warm. Bring him in and offer him some water. A cup of water with a pinch of sugar and a pinch of salt mixed in. Get him to drink first of all. Do this a few times. After getting him warm, and getting water into him, you can offer him seed and see if he eats. If not, you may have to hand feed him. Then we can get a better idea of what is wrong with him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts