Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I made a thread here before, when i first found the hatchling Giorgio, and you all help me raise and take care of him.

Now we're getting to the time where he needs to go, for I cant take care of him forever.

I've been taking him to the local group of pigeons for him to interact with the others. And so far, aside from some bullying, it's been good! He flew off a few times with them and came back. However, one time he didn't during a while... and I was worried if he left to young maybe he wouldn't have many chances of survival.

An old man who grows pigeons told me Giorgio is too young, and until then I though that it would be the moment when he would fly off with the others without coming back that would mean that he no longer needs me and would be ready for the real world, alongside the group.

I make this thread specifically for this. To know when he'll be ready, an d how do I know. He still often flies against me when I let him go in the park. I don't know if he's likely to search for food and avoid being crushed when he's outside by himself, I don't know if it requires training of some sort, or if being with the other birds is enough.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Am not expert this as all we have had are pet pigeons. Wondering if you have put food down for the flock, so you can see if he eats alongside them? And how does he act when next to them? He may be so bonded to you that he may not be releasable. Am so glad to hear that he is doing well. Is he old enough yet for a mate?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The survival rate for hand raised birds to make it in the wild are not all that good. They don't have the skills they need to survive. Some can make it in a flock, if the flock accepts them, but many just do not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thing is he kind of already flies off with the flock and then comes back.

It's hard to tell if he's attached to me, since he does fly back to me when we go outside. But everytime we're in a secure place he tends to bite me violently! I don't if he's playing or is self defense, but he just bites everyone's hands and ears etc...

So I don't know if he truly is that attached, maybe if he went away from me it wouldn't be that bad for him... he does peck the ground when he's outside. My biggest problem is him avoiding danger.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If he is flying off with them and coming back, the chances that he will eventually just fly off with them and stay with them are good. But until he makes that choice for himself, you should continue to be there for him with feed and water and shelter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If he is flying off with them and coming back, the chances that he will eventually just fly off with them and stay with them are good. But until he makes that choice for himself, you should continue to be there for him with feed and water and shelter.
Okay then, I'll keep doing that as planned. But if he fly's off and wont come back I guess it's alright to let him go... but just to be sure I think I should wait an hour or two to see if he comes back.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
And maybe go back every day for a couple of days thereafter to check if you can see him. Also take food with, if he's hungry he will come to you.

I hope this all works out for both of you.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He could fly off, and then come back hours later. As Marina has said, I would check for quite a while, and have feed available. This is easier when people can release them into a flock that they feed in their back yard. The bird then comes back home for food, water, and shelter until he no longer needs it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thing is... I leave in the floor part of the building, there really isnt anything like a balcony. Both my houses are in places filled with cats and I cant release him from here. I walk a bit till I find a flock and thats normally where Giorgio has been hanging out.

However, I found a man who told me that Giorgio is likely to not fly well if he is kept in a cage, sing his butt feathers fall off by rubbing on the iron. He can't practice his wings muscles much either since he can't simply fly from there and come back because of the cats... so I'm kinda stuck.

He occasional has flown off with other pigeons, but wherever a person gives the pigeons food he doesnt go with them, he doesnt share the same type of reacting. I also caught him almost eating a shard piece of some bottle from the floor, I think that would be toxic for him...

It seems like it's going to be really difficult to release him. My uncle took care of pigeons and maybe I could lend him giorgio while I go on vacation so he could practice flying... however, since he's used to me and not my uncle would he still fly back?

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Doubt he would fly back. He doesn't know your uncle. Sounds like he is bonded to you. If you don't want to keep him as a pet, would find him a home in a loft. Maybe someone here will adopt him. Eating a shard is not a good sign.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I had a rescue with a blockage. He didn't make it unfortunately. This is what was blocking the crop, and God knows how much went through his system, and cut him up before we were able to catch him. An adorable little young feral who just didn't know the difference. Probably thought he was picking up what looked like wonderful grit. So sad. The penny is just to show the size of the glass shards.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
So many things can happen to them. Things you would not expect. Just need to be made aware of that if releasing a hand raised bird whose chances are already low. If there is something to get into, they will find it.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
GiorgioBird, are you at all interested in keeping him as a pet? Pet pigeons live much longer and you have done such a wonderful job, helping Giorgio. Our first pigeon was a rescued feral, Phoebe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.