Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a bad year for gnats around here. weve had alot of rain. cant hardly stand in the yard with out the bugs driving you nuts.

ive noticed alot of gnats in and around my loft. with gnats crawing on the birds.

what can i do? or will the gnats not hurt the birds?

thinking of spraying the yard with bug b gone.... think that may help with the gnats in the yard? -chris

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yep it is that time of the year, they make me think my birds have mites by the stomping they do at dusk, at least last year they did....what I did because I had leftover flea and tick product, was put frontline or advantixs on the perches, I just dotted it along the perch and in the crevices, they got alot better then, but Im sure there are other thing that you could do that is natural and easy to use, sometimes I spray human baby organic bug spay, basically citronella on the perches, mist every other day, keeps the numbers down...or away.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I keep Diatomaceous Earth powder spread in all the crevices and corners...ants will not cross it and gnats will not land on it. There is no "perfect" cure...I find that doing EVERYTHING, sometimes makes life tolerable for the animals.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Last year I was invaded by those "noseeums" :eek: which I had never heard of! But they were attacking my birds eyes. Everyone had swollen eyes. :mad:
I got one of those small silent bug light zappers and hung it outside the flight cage. No more problems!
I plugged it in last month when the black flies (mingies) showed up, no problems yet this year.
I also use sevin dust in the cracks and crevices.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Do they have permethrin spray for insects? Or perhaps those pest strips? You can try those and even Msfreebird's idea.

·
Registered
777 Posts
We also keep horses on the property and if there is one thing I have learned about flies etc. it is this...listen to everyone's advise and do it ALL! It ALL works a little bit and the more you do the better overall protection you will see.

Other ideas not listed yet...

Plant geraniums around the loft...flies of all species hate them. That is why the window boxes in Italy and France are generally filled with them!

Leave the spider webs in place for the summer...they catch some of those pesky flies.

Hang baggies full of water at strategic spots...flies reportedly see their reflections in the bag and get scared off.

Do not allow any standing water in your yard. It attracts flies and mosqitoes.

Hang fly strips and fly traps.

Clean, clean, clean.

You want ideas for fly protection..go to a feed/tack store! It's a science!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
flys are a bit different than the knats or noseemums, it seems they are here for a time and then gone...the flys are all summer....If someone does have horses and has a fly problem, I found that the feed through fly control works wonders, basically the horse eats it and his poop does not let the fly eggs hatch, so no more flys or very few flys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.