Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been here for a while, but spring is here and I am having major issues with a hormonal bird. I have what appears to be an oddity in the world of ringneck doves - a very, very vocal hen.

I keep her by herself and have since I got her as a fairly young bird two years ago (she's never had a mate). I know doves are usually kept in pairs, but I specifically wanted one bird because I knew that way she would be attached to me. I give her plenty of attention and by all accounts she appears to be a very happy and healthy bird. The problem is that she doesn't seem to understand the idea of friendship or being "flock-mates" or something non-sexual like that. She thinks I am her mate. She coos non-stop. Sometimes she will be a little quiet for a week or two, but when she is hormonal, she nest coos constantly. It's a beautiful sound, but loud, and when repeated over and over and over... it drives me up the wall!

She hasn't laid eggs for a few months, probably due to my being very careful NOT to arouse her or act like a mate... no petting on the back, no hand-feeding, minimal veggies. I've had to stop giving the veggies to her altogether recently because even a bit of finely chopped carrot made her get that much more determined to seduce me! While I know she quiets down after laying eggs, I am hesitant to encourage this because it could be a health hazard, and because when she has the eggs, sitting on them is all she does. She hardly wants to spend any time out of the cage when she has her eggs, making it difficult for me to have quality time with her.

All my friends laugh and think it's funny when I mention that my bird is in love with me, her "mom"... but when you have to deal with it constantly, it's a drag.

I really wanted to keep her alone because I don't want her to get into a cycle of laying eggs all the time, and if I understand correctly, two hens will pair up and lay eggs, not just males and females. I will probably be leaving Canada and going back to the US at some point and it was hard/expensive enough to get my little girl across the border. I can't imagine doing it with two! I also really want her to be attached to me and not some other bird. I just wish there was some way to tell her she's "in the friend zone", so to speak! :p

If worse comes to worse I will get her a feathered companion, if it will make her happier, because I love her. I just can't deal with the constant noise! The laughter I don't mind, since it's not constant, but the nest cooing simply doesn't stop some days. Especially since it's springtime.

Putting her in another room is also not an option, as there really is no extra room except the living room. And my room mate has a cat, who is allowed everywhere but my bed room. The best I can do at the moment is cover her cage in the late afternoon and hope I fool her into thinking it's night time... more hours of dark=winter? She doesn't seem to buy it.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
what do you need ideas about? getting another dove or trying to hush this one? you covering the cage sounds like you have the right idea. I had three hens get along very well, they all laid their eggs in the same basket and sat them.. they are pretty quiet when they were doing that, so perhaps she needs some eggs to keep her busy. hookbill birds seem to be more active with their owners so perhaps one of those birds would suit your needs for a friend.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
That's what birds do. They get a mate and want to raise families. I think they are generally happier with another bird for a mate. You want her to be attached to you, and that is what you have. She views you as her mate. Having a mate is very important to a bird. Not much you can do.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You can't fight Mother Nature unless your vet will fix her so to speak.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My sympathies. I have the same thing with DeeDee, even though he is a male: whenever he is out of the cage, it's a major problem keeping him from trying to mate with my head!!! And he's very loud. At least I don't have to worry about him becoming egg bound.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hi Eliza,
Imagine being the dove... she is lonely and needs companionship. Seeing that you wanted her to be attached to you, you have succeeded and its only right that you give her the attention she deserves. Having a pet is a huge responsibility, one you need to ensure for a lifetime. If you won't give her a feathered friend, then YOU are her entire world. Granted that you have a life outside of her (as a human), but to her, YOU are EVERYTHING.

I hope you do spend some time with her. Talk to her, cuddle her, let her 'mate' with you and lay eggs. Once she's on egg duty, she will turn her attention solely to the eggs, and will be 'busy' (and thus, she won't disturb you). It's a natural lifestyle for the bird, so it's a win-win situation.

Just make sure she has enough calcium and enough nutrients to sustain this egg-laying habit. Weeks of egg sitting will mean a less vocal hen. It's only for that mating season that she requires your undivided attention, once done and eggs laid, you're free to go (so to speak).

Good luck!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Hi Eliza,
Imagine being the dove... she is lonely and needs companionship. Seeing that you wanted her to be attached to you, you have succeeded and its only right that you give her the attention she deserves. Having a pet is a huge responsibility, one you need to ensure for a lifetime. If you won't give her a feathered friend, then YOU are her entire world. Granted that you have a life outside of her (as a human), but to her, YOU are EVERYTHING.

Good luck!
Wow, couldn't have said it better.:)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wish my birds cared about me at all lol. U are lucky to have one that likes u let alone wants ur attention so bad. My birds wait till I come into the room and feed them and then cant wait till I leave.

Nice backgrounds in ur pics, looks like a highschool pic. Lol very nice bird too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts