Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My hen laid eggs around january 28, 29 and one egg was smaller and the other was normal sized... I thought they were infertile... but I was wrong... I just thought that I should candle them today just out of curiosity and one was fertile... I think they are around the 8th day of incubation... So about 8 more days... The smaller egg had no yolk... So I was wondering if the chick will survive in the cold by itself... There is about one more month of cold left... and then it becomes a bit warmer here....

·
Registered
795 Posts
No egg that hatches, will survive on it's own! :confused:
Study up on Breeding Pigeons.
I think that you mean to say, will, or, is it ok for a pair of adult Pigeons to rear/raise only one healthy young Pigeon.
Yes it is.
It happens more often than you think.
Sometimes conditions in the environment will dictate that. Sometimes it will be to hot, or cold. Or too dry/wet. Maybe even too unsafe, or crowded.
Put it this way, If it would be uncomfortable for you, what would your Pigeons feel?
Do your best, and keep asking questions, there are many here, that will help! :cool:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

Im sorry I worded the question wrong.. I have read that during winter it is better to have two chicks in the nest so they can be warm.. So I wanted to know if one chick in the nest is going to go comfortable by itself. Sorry... I worded it wrong...

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hello,

Im sorry I worded the question wrong.. I have read that during winter it is better to have two chicks in the nest so they can be warm.. So I wanted to know if one chick in the nest is going to go comfortable by itself. Sorry... I worded it wrong...
two do keep warmth in..but one can be fine as well.. as he is going to get all the feedings too.. just keep an eye on the parent birds if they are young.. if the new hatchling gets chilled it will affect it..

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
The good thing is that the baby will get all the food it wants and needs. So it should be fat, happy, and healthy :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I know but don't they stop around 10 days? And the chicks are big so they dont sit on them? My doves stop around 10 days... not sure bout pigeons though.. I am guessing it is the same.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Yeah I know but don't they stop around 10 days? And the chicks are big so they dont sit on them? My doves stop around 10 days... not sure bout pigeons though.. I am guessing it is the same.
If the parents don't mind, I would. At this point it may be a non-issue, wait and see when the parents stop sitting on the baby and see if it is still real cold.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts