Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
. . . Trying to figure out what's going on. :eek:

Goliath is one of Kim's regulars from her backyard flock.

Saturday evening she noticed him perched on a chair on her patio.
Other than noticing a feather sticking out from his wing, she didn't see anything amiss. She decided to check it out so took the opportunity to catch him, only because it was evening. Otherwise he flies like the wind.

When she had him in her grip she felt something 'sticking' her. Upon further examination she found Goliath to have 4 'growths' (best description at this point) in different areas on his upper body. They range from small to very large.

The growth around his crop area is small, however seems to have a small opening in the middle.

The growth on his right side is midsize.

The growths on & under his left wing are the largest.
They appear to be crusty, representing possible dried blood.

Other than the growths, Goliath appears to be a healthy little pij. He shows absolutely no signs of trauma or illness.
His weight is good. Keel bone has plenty of 'meat' around it. He is alert & flies great. He eats, drinks & poops (which, by the way are awesome) like any healthy pigeon.

We are at a loss as to what's going on with poor Goliath.
Any thoughts are most welcome.

The following posts contain graphic pictures.
So will put up the WARNING sign to proceed with caution.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Cindy, They look like Paratyphoid tumors to me.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I've never seen any paratyphoid boils, if that's what it is, it sure looks ugly. But wouldn't a bird with such advanced paratyphoid act sick?

Reti

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I've never seen any paratyphoid boils, if that's what it is, it sure looks ugly. But wouldn't a bird with such advanced paratyphoid act sick?

Reti
Not necessarily. I've had several come my way that acted fine. Birds do act fine for as long as they can.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
I usually see true lameness or the inability to fly anymore from Paratyphoid boils because they're primarily in the joints. Those look like some kind of integumentary tumors. It'd probably be good to ligate one like using a bloodless castrator. That means you'd put a rubber band around the base of it to starve it of blood. A lot of such tumors tend to pull a lot of blood and grow very quickly.

The big question would be if they were malignant or not. If they are then it's only a matter of time.

Pidgey

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
I would expect to see them more on unfeathered parts. It is possible that they are some kind of dried fatty lumps, I guess. Our Flakey had a lump on his head (though not noticeable as those!) and it was kinda like a cyst on a person.

John

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I have seen this. The first time was about 25 years ago in a little feral hen that would come to eat with the outside flock. At the time, done of the vets that treated birds here, knew what it was. My friend, Deb removed it and stitched the bird up. It grew back within a years time and the bird died shorty after.
Ten years ago, or there about, someone brought me another pigeon that had the same thing. This one I took to the Avian Medical Center and both vets there said it was a Paratyphoid blood tumor.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
They look like they might have a lot of dark blood in them. You'd need to try and draw some fluid out of one to know. I sent Cindy some pages from the Oncology section a bit ago. Might help, might not. I think it'd be easy to lance one and see what's in it but a vet would need to look at it under a scope to do much good.

Pidgey

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate all the input, guys. :)

I have seen this.

The first time was about 25 years ago in a little feral hen that would come to eat with the outside flock. At the time, done of the vets that treated birds here, knew what it was. My friend, Deb removed it and stitched the bird up. It grew back within a years time and the bird died shorty after.
Ten years ago, or there about, someone brought me another pigeon that had the same thing. This one I took to the Avian Medical Center and both vets there said it was a Paratyphoid blood tumor.
Given the color of these things, some type of 'blood' tumor did cross my mind.
Was any supportive care suggested in the cases you had, Charis?

They look like they might have a lot of dark blood in them. You'd need to try and draw some fluid out of one to know.

* I sent Cindy some pages from the Oncology section a bit ago. Might help, might not.

** I think it'd be easy to lance one and see what's in it but a vet would need to look at it under a scope to do much good.

Pidgey
* I did receive them, Pidgey. Thanks.

** Since neither Kim nor I are vets, I can say with confidence, WE won't be lancing them.

Cindy

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Cindy, could you email me the pictures and I will forward them on to Deb and a retired Avian vet I know?

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
I've read of metastatic changes that can occur due to a previous history of pox. I'm kinda' hoping that this isn't something like that.

Pidgey

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
This From Doctor Karl Frank

There is no need to worry about these "temporary tumors". They will dry up and fall off and usually don't return.
Best wishes and kind regards,
Karl

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Cindy,
I'm still waiting for a reply from Deb and Dr. Burke.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This From Doctor Karl Frank
* There is no need to worry about these "temporary tumors".

** They will dry up and fall off and usually don't return.

Best wishes and kind regards,
Karl
* Did he happen to say what type of tumors they are?

** Well, that sounds encouraging. :)

Cindy,
* I'm still waiting for a reply from Deb and Dr. Burke.
*Thanks again, Charis.

Cindy

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Cindy, That's all he said in the responce. I copied it exactly. I had asked if he thought it was paratyphoid and what he thought was the best treatment.
Let's see what the other vets say.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Thank you for the information and your in-put.

I've never seen anything like this. I noticed this guy walking around and a feather sticking out for a couple days. He flys great, I thought the feather was odd but did not worry too much about it.

He was hanging out on my back patio one night so I caught him just to see what was going on with that feather and well you saw the pictures.

He flys great, his poops look good and he is not fluffed like he is sick.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts