Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:(

I am still in shock and can't believe it. :(

Whiskey was out and about in the dining room eating and snacking as she does all the time. her mate, Pluto was just starting to chase her to the nest, and since she is handicapped, she can't fly back to the nest, so he is unrelentless in his pursuit.

I put him in time out and let her play all afternoon. When I finally returned him to the homing coop, I left for a minute, as I normally do. When I came back to pick her up and put her in her cubby, she was laying down next to the grit bowl, definitely not in a normal position, and Pluto was trying to do his best to chase her to the nest. I grabbed her and she was limp/lifeless and open beak breathing, I held her close to me and within minutes she passed away in my arms.

I haven't a clue...what happened... as there was no blood or injuries that were visible. I'm still in shock.

My husband burried her in the back of the yard, and she has now been returned to her Creator. You are now free Whiskey, no more handicap, and you fly with angels, like a song in the wind. Rest in Peace.

Rest in Peace, my little precious mosaic, you were alot of fun and full of life. You didn't take nothing from none of the flock with your bossy little way.

I will love you always......

Pictures from Grims thread:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpost.php?p=377602&postcount=1

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Oh Treesa, I am so sorry you lost Whiskey. She was an adorable girl.
This is too sad.

Reti

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Oh Treesa......I'm SOO sorry. I've had that happen once to one of my hens. I have no clue what the problem was. I know it's a real shock when you don't expect it. She was a VERY pretty bird. Flying free now. No more handicap. RIP Whiskey.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I am so sorry Trees. Fly high, pretty little Whiskey.

Cynthia

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
My condolences on the passing of your beautiful Whiskey. You gave this hen a full life, supporting her disability and respecting her individuality. I am sorry for your and Pluto’s loss.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Treesa, my heart goes out to you, I'm so sorry you lost your dear beautiful Whiskey girl. She was so lovely and sounds like she had such personality. She is indeed flying with the angels now but it is so hard when you miss her so. You and Pluto are in my thoughts and prayers to ease your grief.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers... Reti, Renee, spirit wings, Cynthia, TerriB, Terry, and maryjane.

I spend so much time with her each day catering to her needs, she has left a big void in my life.

It has been real heartache, your words help.

Again, thank you.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Wow I am very sorry to hear that she sure was a nice bird. Loved to see people and danced and cooed for me every time I fed her.

Well you gave her the best life possible. With the male being relentless we know she was about to lay. Perhaps she had some egg problem that could have caused her passing. At least she did not pass alone.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
WOW, what an incredibly beautiful bird. So sorry for your loss. I always like to think that when they leave us here, they go and stay with our loved ones in the afterlife. I think my father must be having a collection of pigeons with him in the next world. And he never really liked them. :D I'm sure he's taking an exception to these, though, that I cared for in the flock I visit every day. ;)

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With the male being relentless we know she was about to lay. * Perhaps she had some egg problem that could have caused her passing. At least she did not pass alone.
Thanks for your thoughts, Grim.

* No, I don't really think that was the issue, she has been very chipper as always and I know the signs. She has no history of ever having egg issues, like some of my other hens.

Thank you Garye, I appreciate your kind words.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Dear Treesa...

I just saw your thread!

I am SO sorry to hear about Whiskey's passing! I know that when our beauties die unexpectedly, the shock is even more devastating!

Whiskey was one beautiful hen! I know you and Pluto miss her!!

Sending my heartfelt condolences with LOVING HEALING THOUGHTS AND HUGS!

Shi

·
Registered
911 Posts
Treesa.........So very sorry for the loss of your beloved Whiskey. She certainly was a beautiful bird. I know how much you will miss her. She is flying high and free with the angels.

Rest in Peace sweet little Whiskey.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Treesa,

I just logged on and read about your loss of your beautiful little Whiskey. It is so hard when they go. I know just what you mean about that empty space where she was in your daily activities. She now occupies a space in your heart as she flies free and whole.

Hugs and love,

Margaret

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Shi, lwerden, and Margaret for your thoughtful and heartfelt comments and condolences. They mean a lot to me.

Like Skye and Sonic, Whiskey was the only other bird that occupied so much of my time. Yes, she does hold a special place in my heart. :)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I have just seen the pictures of Whiskey, she was such a beautiful bird.

I too am so sorry for your loss, what a terrible shock for you.
How lovely she had such a fulfilling life with you and Pluto while she was here.

Hold onto the comforting thought that she can fly free once again.

Janet x

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have just seen the pictures of Whiskey, she was such a beautiful bird.

I too am so sorry for your loss, what a terrible shock for you.
How lovely she had such a fulfilling life with you and Pluto while she was here.

Hold onto the comforting thought that she can fly free once again.

Janet x
Thank you for your words of comfort, it helps, especially when I find it increasingly difficult to go out into the coop and pass her empty and now vacant cubby.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Treesa, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this empty feeling. I think the extra time spent nursing a bird creates a close bond which makes the loss even more difficult. You take such excellent care of your birds, providing them with every comfort. She was a special bird - I love that fighting hen spirit!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts