Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good strain combinations? I hear Janssen/Meuleman/Fabry, Van Loon/Aristona/Hekkenklak are good combinations. What other strains tend to work well together?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
That is the question breeders have been searching for since racing began. In this dynamic world we live in the answer is forever changing.

Good luck,
Tony

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
That is the question breeders have been searching for since racing began. In this dynamic world we live in the answer is forever changing.

Good luck,
Tony
Hello Tony,

And what makes it a bit challenging, is many so called "strains" ie. Janssen, are at this point very widely dispersed, and because of all the fanciers making selections and handing off to others, are not the same genetically. So, a bird in my loft with a pedigree which says "Janssen"...may be worlds apart from the bird in your loft with a name "Janssen" attached to it.....combine that with another "strain" which may also be world's apart....and it is easy to see, why different results can be obtained.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Like Warren said, it's pretty hard to keep strains 'pure'. So it's very likely no two birds of the same strain are really the same anymore.

I think a better question is not necessarily which two or three strains cross well, but rather which two or three lofts have birds that mix well together. After a while through natural and our own selection, we end up changing the genetics and traits of our flock, whether we realize it or not. You can keep up a few strains and sooner or later those strains become your own. So my loft may have 'better' or 'worse' Janssens than someone else's, depending on what we've been breeding for, and depending on just what you're planning on crossing them with.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Hello Tony,

And what makes it a bit challenging, is many so called "strains" ie. Janssen, are at this point very widely dispersed, and because of all the fanciers making selections and handing off to others, are not the same genetically. So, a bird in my loft with a pedigree which says "Janssen"...may be worlds apart from the bird in your loft with a name "Janssen" attached to it.....combine that with another "strain" which may also be world's apart....and it is easy to see, why different results can be obtained.
So true Warren,

The only way to know for sure is to breed them and race the young. Other than that you'll never know! They say never breed speed to long distance, but the late Bob Kinney did this with great results.

I see breeding as an art and there are very few true artists out there.

Ace

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Kal-El,

You asked many good questions! I don't know the answer to your question though. I've heard people say matching between such and such are not good, but they are not saying which ones.

The Janssens breeding method goes like this:

" The Mating

Before we go to this very important part of pigeon game, we asked the brothers what qualities they consider as important for a good pigeon to have. They say that the important things are:

. The balance of a bird

. A strong back

. Silky feathers

. Strong vents

. A strong eye

. A short backwing

. The primaries not too wide

. The last three primaries, if possible, the same length

. A small tail

. Extra important are the vitality and courage of the bird

Our next question was how have you increased the odds of breeding these types of birds? Louis and Charles tell us:

"At first comes good performances and pedigree. We like to do some inbreeding-nephew to niece seems the best mating. That's how we got the best results. The following things we tried never to do: Never mate two big birds together, otherwise you get chickens. Never mate small pigeons together, or pigeons both of whom have deep keels. Also, never mate pigeons together with so called white eyes. As far as we are concerned, the vitality and the colour must stay in the eyes, especially with pearl-eyed pigeons, one must provide to breed the colour out of the eyes."" http://www.silvio-co.com/pigeons/janssen.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.