Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lot of debate recently regarding the Google Street Maps that give anyone the ability to 'see' roads and properties from angles you wouldn't normally be able to access.

I for one have done so and thought it was great to have a look at our house from above and then scan down the road to see what others have got in their gardens. Great fun clocking the swimming pools, size of the gardens etc.

BUT NOW...... I'm not so sure it's such a harmless thing.

Our road has been the target this last week for burglars breaking into garden sheds and taking lawnmowers and other equipment. Three of our direct neighbours have lost theirs and had no idea that they had been taken until of course they went to use their mowers. None of these sheds could have been seen from the roads and I do wonder now if the ability to see the layouts from above, is in fact making life very easy for these burglars to plan where to go.

I am so worried as my rescue birds are housed in a large potting shed which is situated at the bottom of the garden. I have another shed down there where I keep my gardening things. Since these break ins we have moved our lawn mower etc up to another shed next to the house, but the worry is if they don't find what they're looking for in the one, they'll automatically go to the pigeon's shed and who knows what will happen to them if the birds get out as they are all disabled in some way.
I've put a sign on the shed saying 'Pigeon Hospital' in the hope if they see that they will at least look in the windows first and see there's nothing else in there. Just my luck the morons will think these birds maybe worth something. The police said they take anything they can sell.

So I now wish there wasn't the facility for someone to get on the computer and be able to see behind our fence, I know these things happened before this was available, but I do question now right of the likes of Google to invade our privacy.

They can knock on my door and I'll give them my lawn mower, but I pray they leave my birds alone. :mad:

Janet

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I looked at our street on "Google Street View" and it showed less of my house than I would be able to see if I drove down or walked down.

There was something else, local something, that looked into my back garden, but I don't think anybody that didn't know I have an aviary would have recognised it as that.

But I can see that if someone had already decided to target a certain house these "birds eye views" would be a great help!

Cynthia

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well, I don't think something worthwhile should be stopped because bad people use it the wrong way....then us good folks could never have any fun!!!

I think you should get a large dog,.. no one would want to get past my dog, so I feel safe with him around.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, I don't think something worthwhile should be stopped because bad people use it the wrong way....then us good folks could never have any fun!!!

I think you should get a large dog,.. no one would want to get past my dog, so I feel safe with him around.
We do have two dogs, and the larger one is not nice to strangers, (or my pigeons for that matter) !!:eek: But they aren't out there all night unfortunately.

In fact we have just come back from a night out and as we drove up the drive noticed our security light was on in the garden, we came straight in and let the dogs out first before we went out to check the sheds.

Don't get me wrong, this opinion of the street maps has only just come to me. When I was listening to the radio debate when people were complaining about the invasion of privacy, I too thought they were being ridiculous and 'over the top'. I too have been up and down a few of the roads around here marvelling at some of the things I can see. It just made us think more about it when we realised that the burglars must have known where to go to find this neighbour's shed, it isn't obvious as it's completely out of view from ground level, but you can see it from the street map, so just maybe that helped.

It all might well have happened despite the maps, these burglaries are nothing new.
Just annoying that we had no choice in the matter or prior warning that our houses were being featured, in fact I personally didn't know anything about these Google maps until I heard this radio programme.
I just don't see why we should make things any easier for these thugs, having been burgled on more than one occasion in my life, I hate these people with a passion, as you can probably tell ! :mad:

Janet

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think its an invasion of privacy. What happened to getting directions and reading a map?
Time and technology moved on. What happened to the time when maps were only the property of the extremely rich, who could afford printing, eh? :)

The data exists, the technologies are well ingrained into our modern lives. I don't go anywhere without taking a good look at Google Maps Street View to see what landmarks I'll be searching for. I feel it's much better that EVERYONE has access to it than it existing secretly in the hands of a privileged few. Same with the face-recognition software such as person-identifying in iPhoto. Some governments have had this for years. Now it's in everyone's hands.

This is what happens when people have full access to data:

Photo Enforced - Get maps of red light cameras in multiple cities across the United States.

Who is Sick? - Find statistics on a map for illness in your area, everything from allergies and runny noses to fever to stomach aches.

SafeFoodFinder - A map showing Seattle area restaurants and what their health department inspection scores have been.

BibleMap.org - An interactive map of locations from the Bible.

ActiveTrails - A map of trails throughout the United States and France that allows users to contribute trail information.

DaylightMap.com’s Clouds - A map showing regularly-updated cloud cover overlaid on a Google Map of the world.

AntennaSearch.com - Ever wondered how many cell towers and antennas are covering your area? Preparing to move and want to know much radiation you can expect?

Twittervision.com - Follow all of the latest Tweets on Twitter (Twitter reviews) on a Google (Google reviews) map, as it readjusts itself to best show you were the messages are coming from.

Theft has always, always been an technology arms race. If you're interested, I can point you to some really neat histories on the crafts of locks and lockpicking, letters and stenography, gold purity tests in days before microgram scales, all the way up to cryptography to keep private data safe from spying eyes. but I won't pollute this board with much more of this topic, I promise. ;)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I think its an invasion of privacy.
I couldn't agree more.

I'm tired of big brother being up my but now I have his family and friends too.

Friend of mine thinks Zaba search is neat. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I don't know whether it is an invasion of privacy. The camera was probably just gathering data on streets. It doesn't know you or for that matter interested in you. I actually consider it as an improvement of current way of having maps and compass. Now, can it be use as a way to invade privacy? Then I would say yes! But iIt can also be use as non-invading privacy stuff where you just want directions and pictures to guide you.

Here is some experimental thought: Let us say you are driving around looking for a home. In your brain you are recording the streets and houses. Does that mean that you are invading someone else's privacy because you happened to be memorizing the location of the houses and street to navigate? I don't think so. But if you stopped at some address, went to their yards and pecked at their windows and see whether they are voting for their favorite American Idol, then I would say, yes, you are invading their privacy. :p LOL!

Ceren,
Thanks for those links! I didn't know any of those before.

·
Registered
80 Posts
RodSD: it's just a small selection, I picked and chose a few random ones.
Try searching for "google map mashup". These maps are basically various kinds of datasources mashed-up with google maps' API.

I'm considering starting a mashup where animal rescuers could register their locations and instant messaging IDs, and we won't have to wait for someone who knows someone to find someone in the area for a teenager that's found his first baby bird. :/

First, I'm going to make sure someone hasn't already done this, haha.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Google street view can also let you see your own property and neighborhood from a perspective you wouldn't ordinarily consider.

If you try to think from a thief or burglar's perspective when planning your security, you can perhaps foil them.

If you know that there are people who spend all their time (it's their "job") figuring out how to part you from your money and possessions, you can fight them.

Many of them are very intelligent. Some work for the government (such as I.R.S.) and are not necessarily illegal. Some are quite stupid and clumsy, and that takes a different approach. Some might be like the kid who has the most improbable accident on your property, which you couldn't easily foresee, which you are liable for. Perhaps the five-hundred pound person jumping up and down out on your deck, out fear of your dog. Perhaps the fifty-foot tall baby (from Walt Disney fantasy movie) who trips over the safety and privacy fence around your swimming pool, and then drowns. LOL.

Gives us more information, more data, more to think about, more to worry about. Time to use Google Earth to find the closest alcohol retailer and forget all your problems.

Larry
Larry

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Google street view can also let you see your own property and neighborhood from a perspective you wouldn't ordinarily consider.

If you try to think from a thief or burglar's perspective when planning your security, you can perhaps foil them.

If you know that there are people who spend all their time (it's their "job") figuring out how to part you from your money and possessions, you can fight them.

Many of them are very intelligent. Some work for the government (such as I.R.S.) and are not necessarily illegal. Some are quite stupid and clumsy, and that takes a different approach. Some might be like the kid who has the most improbable accident on your property, which you couldn't easily foresee, which you are liable for. Perhaps the five-hundred pound person jumping up and down out on your deck, out fear of your dog. Perhaps the fifty-foot tall baby (from Walt Disney fantasy movie) who trips over the safety and privacy fence around your swimming pool, and then drowns. LOL.

Gives us more information, more data, more to think about, more to worry about. Time to use Google Earth to find the closest alcohol retailer and forget all your problems.

Larry
Larry
Love it, good use for it Larry. :)

We had a very expensive outside security system left at the house when we bought it a few years ago. It consisted of five foot tall sensors hidden amongst the trees and the alarm was triggered when anything passed in front of them.
Great, it sure worked well, it was triggered by any passing animal bird, snail, insect, whatever, and always when we weren't there !! Had to disarm it in the end as we were more likely to end up at war with our neighbours !:eek:
Just a final point on this that the police gave us, whatever we do as far as security goes from now on, the one thing we must ensure as the b....ers come over the fence, is to make them bleed. As long as they leave some DNA behind there's a chance of finding them. This actually happened to my sister when she was burgled a while ago. He cut himself as he got over the fence, and bingo... they found him through that.

Actually Larry your point about the accident prone burgler rendering you responsible, reminded me of one of my incidents years ago when I got broken into. The police told me if it happened again, whatever I did, not to stab him in the back, only ever in the stomach, as it was only justified in self defence. He said the best thing to do was faint and let them go :confused:

Anyway, enough of this, I'm going to worry myself to death here. This only started when I thought they might break into my shed and let my pigeons go. My best bet is to move into the shed with them, armed with a pick axe, (as suggested by my husband). :D

Janet

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I think a person should be able to not have their property viewed.
a street view is entirely different form an arial view, I still say its an invasion of the home owners privacy.

Call me old fashion it's just how I feel.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
I think a person should be able to not have their property viewed.
a street view is entirely different form an arial view, I still say its an invasion of the home owners privacy.

Call me old fashion it's just how I feel.
Hi SWIFTLADY, I agree its bad enough to have people look over the fence at what I have or have not got in my back yard.That is why I put up a 6 ft fence and if it didn't cost so much it would have been a 8 ft fence. We are living in the age of THE BIG BROTHER,:eek: and I don,t like it. GEORGE;) ......PS,I forgot I have two friends that help me protect what I have here at my home , their names are SMITH & WESSON and the three of us can be deadly.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
RodSD: it's just a small selection, I picked and chose a few random ones.
Try searching for "google map mashup". These maps are basically various kinds of datasources mashed-up with google maps' API.

I'm considering starting a mashup where animal rescuers could register their locations and instant messaging IDs, and we won't have to wait for someone who knows someone to find someone in the area for a teenager that's found his first baby bird. :/

First, I'm going to make sure someone hasn't already done this, haha.
AND IF THE GOVERMENT DESIDES THAT THEY WANT ROUND UP ALL THE ANIMAL RESCUERS ALL THEY NEED IS YOUR MAP. I SAY AGAIN I DON'T LIKE IT.GEORGE;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
AND IF THE GOVERMENT DESIDES THAT THEY WANT ROUND UP ALL THE ANIMAL RESCUERS ALL THEY NEED IS YOUR MAP. I SAY AGAIN I DON'T LIKE IT.GEORGE;)
Then don't participate. And if you really think your government is about to "round up all the animal rescuers", I don't know what to say... .

Here's an up-to-date for you all. I can read your monitor screen through your wall with the electromagnetic fields it puts out. I can listen to the radio waves your wireless, or even your cheap wired keyboard emits.

I can browse through your neighborhood with my car and just do a wireless scan to see who has expensive brand laptops .

I know exactly how long it would take to pick your lock on your front door just by looking at the brand, and I know the default codes on your "home security system", which over 80% of you haven't bothered to change.

And for more than 4 years, I have been able to see your back yard with aerial photos? Pffft, please. I have far easier and more interesting and profitable ways to make your lives suck, if I were a thoughtful thief.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
We are on information age where our activities are recorded. I don't like that actually. Apparently retail stores know what food you purchased if you paid using credit cards. During the peanut salmonella incident they sent us a letter and told us that we bought an infected peanut crackers many months ago. So they know what I eat, drink, etc. And there is obviously technology now that can analyze our poops. LOL!

Ceren,

I am familiar with those technologies. Hacker tools are available as well. Obviously if people installed remote viewing on their desktop, others can view your desktop and what files you have there.

I think in the future privacy issues will be hot topic. Those aerial photos used to belong to the military for spying, etc., now we have google earth, google map/street views. I think there are two sides to technology: we can either use it for good or for bad just like SMITH AND WESSON.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.