Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to move my pigeons to a new loft but they are sitting on eggs right now. Is it ok if i move the nest box to my new loft or they won't sit on them?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I don't think they are going to sit if you move the nest box to a new loft.

One option is to let them hatch and raise the young ones, you can shift once the babies are weaned

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think they are going to sit if you move the nest box to a new loft.

One option is to let them hatch and raise the young ones, you can shift once the babies are weaned[/QUO

dam it now i have to wait at least 6 weeks. And thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
There is a chance they won't sit but I've never had any problems moving any of my birds when I had to do the same. It all depends on how good your birds are as parents. If they are young and are on their first clutch then there's a bigger chance of them just abandoning the eggs but if your birds seasoned breeders then I don't see that happening. But again this is just from my experience with my racing homers....good luck!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
pigeons lay eggs all the time, does not mean you have to let them hatch, I will bet a mint they will lay more eggs and plenty of them in the new loft.. just move them and wait for them to nest and lay again, that way you won't have to move babies either.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pigeons lay eggs all the time, does not mean you have to let them hatch, I will bet a mint they will lay more eggs and plenty of them in the new loft.. just move them and wait for them to nest and lay again, that way you won't have to move babies either.
You see I dont want them to sit on eggs again. I want to start flying them because the winter is coming and then I am not going to be able to fly them.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
You see I dont want them to sit on eggs again. I want to start flying them because the winter is coming and then I am not going to be able to fly them.

what is wrong with the winter? ... do you have a hawk problemo in the winter? that is the only reason I can think of to not fly in the winter... pigeons will sit eggs all year long.. you just have to use your fake eggs when you do not want hatchlings. so I don't get it. they should be alound to nest and sit fake eggs even when you do not want any young.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what is wrong with the winter? ... do you have a hawk problemo in the winter? that is the only reason I can think of to not fly in the winter... pigeons will sit eggs all year long.. you just have to use your fake eggs when you do not want hatchlings. so I don't get it. they should be alound to nest and sit fake eggs even when you do not want any young.
Yeah we have too many hungry hawks during winter here so I wont fly my pigeons.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I move mine around, although I replace mine with fake ones. If you can move the box and bird together, they may surprise you and continue to nest:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts