Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting ready to feed my birds when this guy decided to show up. He really wanted a meal with my birds while swooping down on three separate occasions. Pictures are kind of blurry but can someone help identify it. Initially, I thought it was a Cooper's Hawk. A bit too small to be a Peregrine (perhaps a juvenile)?

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I know what you mean. On one occasion, he even slipped his raptors through the wires in an attempt to get my birds. I tell ya, they're getting smarter. :D

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Yes, I know what you mean. On one occasion, he even slipped his raptors through the wires in an attempt to get my birds. I tell ya, they're getting smarter. :D

It's critical that you cover your flight with at least 1/2 inch hardware cloth...1/4 inch would be better. It wil also help keep rodents out which can be just as deadly to your birds. So many of us have leaned that one the hard way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's critical that you cover your flight with at least 1/2 inch hardware cloth...1/4 inch would be better. It wil also help keep rodents out which can be just as deadly to your birds. So many of us have leaned that one the hard way.

Note taken, thank you!

G

·
it looks like a juvie cooper to me , beware they are very brazen and have only one thing on ther minds as you already have seen.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
:eek: I'd freak!! Reminds me of when the Golden Eagle landed in my dog pen (which surrounded my pigeon loft)!!
Ya - that fencing is the 1st thing I noticed! He can grab your birds right thru that. I would at least put something on the top for the time being so he can't see your birds and hang something on the sides also so he can't grab them. :eek:
I had chicken wire on the top of my old loft, and Norway Rats came in from the top and killed about 30 of my birds :( They found a couple loose staples, and that's all it took!

·
Registered
813 Posts
GRRRRRR--- Here's mine.. .making himself quite comfy.....as if he is staking claim to the yard.....

Lokota is right they are VERY VERY Brazen amongst a slu- of words I could add:rolleyes::D

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you were hungry and saw food, you would be brazen too. He just wants to live, just like everyone else. I know, that isn't something that endears them to us, but not their fault either. I feed a feral flock in my yard, and the coopers drive me crazy. The poor birds stopped coming for a couple of months this past winter because there were so many strikes. One actually landed on my foot, trying to catch a pigeon. Unbelievable! Lately, the pigeons haven't been around as much, so the hawks must be back. Too bad, as I have no idea where they are finding food. The coopers are very bold, but as I said, they're just trying to survive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it looks like a juvie cooper to me , beware they are very brazen and have only one thing on ther minds as you already have seen.
Yes, very aggressive at it. I think my birds are staying in for awhile. :)

I'd freak!! Reminds me of when the Golden Eagle landed in my dog pen (which surrounded my pigeon loft)!!
Ya - that fencing is the 1st thing I noticed! He can grab your birds right thru that. I would at least put something on the top for the time being so he can't see your birds and hang something on the sides also so he can't grab them.
I had chicken wire on the top of my old loft, and Norway Rats came in from the top and killed about 30 of my birds :( They found a couple loose staples, and that's all it took!
WOW! Golden Eagle? :eek: I'm pretty sure they're incapable of catching your birds but it'll definitely scare the birds just as much!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
That's a Sharp-shin. They look almost identical, except they aren't much bigger than a pigeon when compared to a Cooper. Also, Coopers have rounded or wedge shaped tails, and Sharp-shins have flat tips. They're really fast and aggravating. We have a lot of both here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Upon looking at some videos of both raptors, it's kind of challenging to identify the two. :confused: I wish there were a side-by-side comparison between the more mature birds.

I know I got a pretty good look at the hawk when taking those pictures...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Jay! I think that link helped quite a bit. Out on a limb, based on those pictures and the actual hawk that attacked my birds looked more like a Cooper. I recall the chest was vertically-barred.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It helps to see them together. We get coopers here all the time. Very persistant.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
WOW! Golden Eagle? :eek: I'm pretty sure they're incapable of catching your birds but it'll definitely scare the birds just as much!
Actually he wasn't after MY birds at all - I had one of those big fake owls (filled with rocks) mounted on my fence post. I heard a commotion (rush of flapping wings in the flight cage) and turned around just in time to see this HUGE bird crash land in the middle of my dog pen, and then fly up to a branch over my fantails cage. I ran up to it and tried to scare it away, and it looked at me like I was crazy :eek:
I found my owl in the middle of the pen, about 15 feet from where it was mounted - and my poor dogs were horrified!
Turned out to be a juvenile golden eagle, that wanted to make lunch out of my plastic owl. He hung around the yard for about a week. I knew he was gone when my resident squirrels and blue jays came out of hiding :cool: Never saw anything like it - he was incredible!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Ricky, to me he has the face of a cooper.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually he wasn't after MY birds at all - I had one of those big fake owls (filled with rocks) mounted on my fence post. I heard a commotion (rush of flapping wings in the flight cage) and turned around just in time to see this HUGE bird crash land in the middle of my dog pen, and then fly up to a branch over my fantails cage. I ran up to it and tried to scare it away, and it looked at me like I was crazy :eek:
I found my owl in the middle of the pen, about 15 feet from where it was mounted - and my poor dogs were horrified!
Turned out to be a juvenile golden eagle, that wanted to make lunch out of my plastic owl. He hung around the yard for about a week. I knew he was gone when my resident squirrels and blue jays came out of hiding :cool: Never saw anything like it - he was incredible!
Not only did it scare your birds, it terrified your dogs as well. :D I've heard many say that those "fake" owls help limit hawk attacks. If that's the case, wouldn't it frighten your birds as well?

Ricky, to me he has the face of a cooper.
Yeah, I can't be sure but that's what I'm leaning toward also. I noticed on a lot of pictures that Short-Shinned Hawks had shorter beaks. The one that attacked my birds had a longer beak.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
How this for a friendly face?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts