Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
No. There is hardly any nutritional value in bread for birds, and can actually be harmfull to them if too much is eaten. their digestive tracts were not designed for bread, and it can swell like a sponge inside them and likley cause blockages that can be fatal. especially in parents that are still feeding young.
Feeding only bread, especially to babies, can also cause deformities from malnutrition, such as deformed beaks, twisted legs, feet, toes and bad feather growth.
I work at a wildlife center that mainly has pigeons and songbirds and we see so many with those conditions because of being fed mainly bread.
Seed is cheap and you can find it at any pet/feed store, and at most supermarkets. :)

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
DURING WORLD WAR 2 when grain fo feeding birds was hard to get, many different food stuffs were used bread was one of them. I recall reading where a pigeon breeder in England used cooked potato. Yes many of the things use were not the best for our birds but it kept them alive, but I see no reason to use those things today, even wild bird seed is better. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
well i was just wondering because i want to feed my babies bread dipped in baby bird formula. would this be a good idea?
Why do you want to do this? If your babies are truly babies that need to be hand fed then you would be better off to just feed them the liquid baby bird formula. It is complete as far as nutrition goes. If your babies are a bit older, then you want to be getting them weaned onto a seed/grain based diet .. bread has no useful purpose that I can think of.

Terry

·
Registered
508 Posts
Man (And Pigeons) shall not live by bread alone!;):D:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts