Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have a friend/chicken sitter who has a hunting dog, where he captures pigeons and uses them to train his dog. Well, he was sitting our chickens when his dog killed one of our quails while we were on vacation. Sooo, he ended up catching 18 pigeons for teaching his dog how to point and all. Well, he said i could take some pigeons (he catches ones that are annoying people, if he reset his trap he could've caught 30-40 pigeons in total) or when the hunter or what ever (not sure what it is...LOL) convention their gonna import a bunch of chukars and they might have extra... Well, since I'm posting here, you can assume I took the pigeons. Now this is the only form I could find that really fit what I wanted to ask, since these are ferals, but I was wondering how to tame a feral? I heard to just be quiet with them? Oh, and how do you tell the sexes apart? I ended up with a trio (Will post pics later), and i'm hoping to have a male and 2 females... lol... but ya never know. 2 of them go in a high pitch 'EEP EEP' and the other one goes in a deep pitch 'woo..woo' or kinda grunts like a pig....

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
What your friend is doing is wrong. Try looking at it from the birds point of view. Many of the birds he is catching have mates and probably babies in the nest that won't make it now that he has taken one of their parents, or both. As far as taming an adult feral.............you won't. Very unlikely. They were free with a life and a mate. They have been trapped and tortured by your friend. Now you want a bird who grew up free and wild to like being forced to live in a cage, and being handled by what they perceive as a predator. They just want to go free again and go back to their mate and babies. Their lives have been completely taken away and messed up. How would you feel?
If you want pet pigeons, then you would be better off finding domesticated birds to adopt. God knows, there are plenty of them out there that need homes. You would be helping them. These birds you are keeping from living the only life they knew. If you cannot understand what I am saying, and cannot understand this and put yourself in their place to be able to understand what has been done to them, then you will never understand them enough to be able to build a trust between you and these birds. Let them go and adopt a bird that actually needs a home.

·
Registered
247 Posts
What your friend is doing is wrong. Try looking at it from the birds point of view. Many of the birds he is catching have mates and probably babies in the nest that won't make it now that he has taken one of their parents, or both. As far as taming an adult feral.............you won't. Very unlikely. They were free with a life and a mate. They have been trapped and tortured by your friend. Now you want a bird who grew up free and wild to like being forced to live in a cage, and being handled by what they perceive as a predator. They just want to go free again and go back to their mate and babies. Their lives have been completely taken away and messed up. How would you feel?
If you want pet pigeons, then you would be better off finding domesticated birds to adopt. God knows, there are plenty of them out there that need homes. You would be helping them. These birds you are keeping from living the only life they knew. If you cannot understand what I am saying, and cannot understand this and put yourself in their place to be able to understand what has been done to them, then you will never understand them enough to be able to build a trust between you and these birds. Let them go and adopt a bird that actually needs a home.
i totally agree with u jay3,

RockPigeon<3er,
these birds can be trained but why do u want to train them..
just imagine that if u were in their place and some catches u and u have a family.. and that guy keeps u .. what will be the first thing u wanted/want to do? probably, getting out of the cage and fly back to ur nest..
here is the same thing they will do. they like live in a free air/atmosphere...

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Cut the guy some slack he didn't catch the birds just wants to give them a good home, and it sounds like 2 of them are young birds that could become very tame birds.

You would have him turn them out so they can go back home so the hunter can go get them next week and this time get to train the dogs with them.
Dave

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you want pet pigeons, then you would be better off finding domesticated birds to adopt. God knows, there are plenty of them out there that need homes. You would be helping them. These birds you are keeping from living the only life they knew. If you cannot understand what I am saying, and cannot understand this and put yourself in their place to be able to understand what has been done to them, then you will never understand them enough to be able to build a trust between you and these birds. Let them go and adopt a bird that actually needs a home.[/QOUTE/]
dont this guy feel bad he did nothing wrong other than rescue these birds k so stop making him feel bad its rude and mean he rescued these birds fro\m being eaten or whateve stop its not fair to put him through a guilt trip

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
You know, its about time some of you guys actually read the posts, digest them & understand them.
Nobodys giving anyone a hard time or trying to put them on a guilt trip, Jay is just pointing out FACTS about ferals (which I agree 100% with) which to be honest half you guys who keep racing/performance/fancy pigeons just dont understand.
Except in rare circumstances, even a "tamed" feral if released with other birds will want to return to their "home" flock.
Yes I can understand the concern about them getting re-caught, but chances of that are not as high as you may think. Ferals learn dangers very quickly, and also pass on signals to others in their flock, especially after being caught out.
It sounds like the 3 birds caught, 2 are young with possibly a male parent (not necessarilly the parent of the 2 the young), so somewhere out there is a hen looking for her mate and one or two fathers looking for their young !!.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
So we have a friend/chicken sitter who has a hunting dog, where he captures pigeons and uses them to train his dog. Well, he was sitting our chickens when his dog killed one of our quails while we were on vacation. Sooo, he ended up catching 18 pigeons for teaching his dog how to point and all. Well, he said i could take some pigeons (he catches ones that are annoying people, if he reset his trap he could've caught 30-40 pigeons in total) or when the hunter or what ever (not sure what it is...LOL) convention their gonna import a bunch of chukars and they might have extra... Well, since I'm posting here, you can assume I took the pigeons. Now this is the only form I could find that really fit what I wanted to ask, since these are ferals, but I was wondering how to tame a feral? I heard to just be quiet with them? Oh, and how do you tell the sexes apart? I ended up with a trio (Will post pics later), and i'm hoping to have a male and 2 females... lol... but ya never know. 2 of them go in a high pitch 'EEP EEP' and the other one goes in a deep pitch 'woo..woo' or kinda grunts like a pig....
While we don't agree with your friend catching these birds, we do appreciate you giving these youngsters a home. The best way to start taming them is by hand feeding them and only hand feeding them a good pigeon mix. Before you know it they will look forward to you coming to them because they know you are going to feed them. They never ever be really tame, but this is the best way to get them somewhat tame. In the future you check out our adoption section and get some real nice domestic bird, who may already be somewhat tame.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
While we don't agree with your friend catching these birds, we do appreciate you giving these youngsters a home. The best way to start taming them is by hand feeding them and only hand feeding them a good pigeon mix. Before you know it they will look forward to you coming to them because they know you are going to feed them. They never ever be really tame, but this is the best way to get them somewhat tame. In the future you check out our adoption section and get some real nice domestic bird, who may already be somewhat tame.

They already have a home
, and are not in need of one made up of confinement. And probably a mate and maybe babies. The kindest thing would be to give them back their freedom, rather than keeping them as prisoners. There are many pigeons out there that do need homes who he would actually be doing something good for.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
The one that goes woo woo as you call it probably will not tame.. you may want to let that one go where you're friend kidnapped these birds.. the other two sound young, so you would handle them allot and esp see if they can feed themselves! if not then you need to hand feed them asap! raised from a young age they can be nice pets, you just need to really like them and not think of them as a novelty, they deserve the best housing and feed and care you can give them as it is you're responsiblity now.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So i didnt read all the posts but a majority of them

Ok, so if my friend didn't capture these birds, they would be shot. They were a nuisance to the land owner, and more then likely they would be shot. Sorry if this angers you, but thats the case, and he offered the 3 to me. He also will end up killing them, but they end the rest of there lives with plenty of food and water. Not worse then just being shot, no?

OK, so the one who grunts/woos sounds like an adult male? Cool, if I can't tame him he'll just get plenty of food and water, and me to gawk at (LOL). And for now I'll refer to him as the black-ish one because I still haven't named them, but if that one sounds male I'll end up naming him. And when you say hand feed, you mean put the food in your hand and feed them (?) Sorry I'm just used to hand feeding meaning something like bottle raise the animal. They all seem the same size, simply the 2 younger sounding ones seem to 'scream' EEP EEEP when I have them step on my finger but shut up when I set them on my knee or whatever. :D

Oh, and I can't tell half the time if your talking about the guy who trapped them or me, so, if your talking about me say Rock or whatever so I dont feel dumb please, LOL

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

They already have a home
, and are not in need of one made up of confinement. And probably a mate and maybe babies. The kindest thing would be to give them back their freedom, rather than keeping them as prisoners. There are many pigeons out there that do need homes who he would actually be doing something good for.
Yes and at that home they will most likely be shot and killed.

Just saying :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
So i didnt read all the posts but a majority of them

Ok, so if my friend didn't capture these birds, they would be shot. They were a nuisance to the land owner, and more then likely they would be shot. Sorry if this angers you, but thats the case, and he offered the 3 to me. He also will end up killing them, but they end the rest of there lives with plenty of food and water. Not worse then just being shot, no?

OK, so the one who grunts/woos sounds like an adult male? Cool, if I can't tame him he'll just get plenty of food and water, and me to gawk at (LOL). And for now I'll refer to him as the black-ish one because I still haven't named them, but if that one sounds male I'll end up naming him. And when you say hand feed, you mean put the food in your hand and feed them (?) Sorry I'm just used to hand feeding meaning something like bottle raise the animal. They all seem the same size, simply the 2 younger sounding ones seem to 'scream' EEP EEEP when I have them step on my finger but shut up when I set them on my knee or whatever. :D

Oh, and I can't tell half the time if your talking about the guy who trapped them or me, so, if your talking about me say Rock or whatever so I dont feel dumb please, LOL
rock, are the birds eating their seeds and grains? if the young ones do not know how to eat yet they need to be hand fed as in food put in the back of their throat so the can swallow it. so you need to see where the young birds are in their weaning process so you can take care of them properly.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Much better off with you than shot or poisoned where they came from. Thanks for giving them a good home :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rock, are the birds eating their seeds and grains? if the young ones do not know how to eat yet they need to be hand fed as in food put in the back of their throat so the can swallow it. so you need to see where the young birds are in their weaning process so you can take care of them properly.
I've seen one nibble at the seeds, but haven't seen either of them eat it. (male included)

How would I put it in the back of the throat?
When they were with Richard (pigeon catcher) he didn't assist them, he just feeds and water them, and lets them go about until he uses them
They seem healthy and robust and not like their starving. But I'll be more then willing to try and shove it down their throats, I don't want them to die or something

·
Registered
704 Posts
for the yb's you may have to buy liguid pigeon food i am no expert but you prob should not shove it down there throat

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I've seen one nibble at the seeds, but haven't seen either of them eat it. (male included)

How would I put it in the back of the throat?
When they were with Richard (pigeon catcher) he didn't assist them, he just feeds and water them, and lets them go about until he uses them
They seem healthy and robust and not like their starving. But I'll be more then willing to try and shove it down their throats, I don't want them to die or something
well you don't shove it... why don't you do some research on how to take care of them..and right now, I will ask you to check their crops..which is a sac they hold grains in after they eat...it is on the front of the neck a bit above the breast.. feel it with you're fingers.. it should feel sort of like a corn hole bag..if you know what that is..grains and seed in a bag... if it feels empty and they are peeping at you..then you would have to open their beak and give one pea or grain at a time and put it in the back of their throat and they swallow.. do again till they have about 40 or so pieces in there... if they are eating then you don't have to do this.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well you don't shove it... why don't you do some research on how to take care of them..and right now, I will ask you to check their crops..which is a sac they hold grains in after they eat...it is on the front of the neck a bit above the breast.. feel it with you're fingers.. it should feel sort of like a corn hole bag..if you know what that is..grains and seed in a bag... if it feels empty and they are peeping at you..then you would have to open their beak and give one pea or grain at a time and put it in the back of their throat and they swallow.. do again till they have about 40 or so pieces in there... if they are eating then you don't have to do this.
OK, finding the crop on a pigeon is near impossible , but i think i found it, and it was about half full ( a chickens crop is waaaay bigger, lol, and easier to find). They're doing great tho, I feel like I've had them for a week, lol. However, tomorrow I'm buying pigeon feed (they've been on chicken scratch), and only that, so no worries.

Thanks all, and I'll be in here every now and then for questions :D

Oh, and does anyone know how to check your posts?!! This forum is confusing

sorry if I sound somewhat dumb... I didn't expect to have to worry for juvieniles eating, thought they'd be somewhat easy, just feed, water, and hold. Kinda like a chicken but minus egg collecting.

Other then keeping an eye for who is or isn't eating, any diseases I should worry about?I heard something about PMV? whats that and is it human transmittable?

Thanks everyone SO much! :) And I'll have pictures of them soon, so far the male I've nicknamed York because hes so unfriendly he always grunts if we come near him (heard thats when their scared) I think yorkshire pig :p so I've left him alone so he wont stress, but the youngins are real friendly so far :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts