Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the lofts with grating on the floors, how do you clean under that? Surely the poop & debris must accumulate where it needs mucked out?

I have my breeding loft of 6 X 8 with wood floor that I sweep & clean up daily, but need to build another loft strictly for fliers, something low maintenance, so was thinking of using grating for the floor. But we get mice & snakes around here & very high winds. I don't want mice/ snakes hanging out in the debris or wind storms blowing up into the loft. Thought of building straight on the ground, but didn't want the birds walking around in their own poo all day either (let alone dampness issues, etc... with bare sand)

So, need some insight please.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Flamingo Loft has expanded metal floors.There is a sub floor about 12 inches below the metal. We have access doors outside the loft so we can scrape out the droppings and do so often. Grated floors are great in warm climates and where there are a large number of birds. My wifes lofts have wood floors and I scrape them daily. You are not saving yourself any work with grated floors if that is your concern. Good Luck and ask lots of questions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are not saving yourself any work with grated floors if that is your concern.
Yep, that answered my question!

Guess pigeons keeping isn't the hobby for a clean freak, like myself.:eek: Oh well, guess my birds should be pretty healthy since I already scoop poo 4x day!:D

·
Registered
857 Posts
You can also place a plastic tarp under the grated floor and pull it out and dump it once it becomes soiled, before it gets too heavy to move.
You can clean the tarp with a hose, but a pressure washer is better.
Keith

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can also place a plastic tarp under the grated floor and pull it out and dump it once it becomes soiled, before it gets too heavy to move.
You can clean the tarp with a hose, but a pressure washer is better.
Keith
That is a good idea. We had trays under our floor that we could pull out and scrape. Problem we had was bugs, insects and roaches living and multiplying under the trays.We now just scrape and no bugs.Still alot of work but beneficial with large numbers of birds.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Braden, I would not use water to clean the droppings. You would only be adding more dampness to your loft which is not a good think. Especially if you are a clean freak. I can see you spraying your loft four times a day. Don't do it! If you must do it, only on days when the sun is out so it can dry. Your better off to just scrape your loft like the rest of us. That's my advice. Keep in mind a wet or damp loft is without a doubt, a step in the wrong direction. I keep water drinkers and bathing pans out in the aviary where spillage is no problem. Thanks for reading, Greek Boy

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I made this wooden slate floor. and I wouldnt have anything else. Its made from strips I got at lowes and dowels. Just drill holes through and insert the dowels. Mine spams 6' and can support you. Put it 4" off floor and you only need to clean under it once a month

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I like that wooden grate flooring.. but it sounds like a good idea to have a subfloor that you can keep enclosed so the snakes and mice can not get in. I would put cedar shavings on the sub floor to keep insects away and it may smell better too..and just scrape it out when it gets to a point you think you should. where you live I think the grated floor would be great.. but you still may have some odor.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Shadybug Loft, The wooden slated floor you are using looks great. It looks strong, then again you built it! I believe Braden was talking about sraying droppings away with a hose on a daily basis which would not help the health of his flock. Hosing it out once a month especially on a warm or hot day creates no problem. Using a slatted floor gives you more time since your not scrapping twice a day. Would love to see your new loft. Always a pleasure corresponding with you. All the best, Greek Boy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dixie Stampede in Branson, Mo has white homers they use in their show. Their lofts outside have rubber horse stall mats. The mats are pulled out every other day and housed down and disinfectant used.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Dixie Stampede in Branson, Mo has white homers they use in their show. Their lofts outside have rubber horse stall mats. The mats are pulled out every other day and housed down and disinfectant used.
cool, that is another good idea, I have'nt heard of those used before.:)

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
If you make wooden slated floors make them in sections so you can lift them out to clean. My 6x8 loft will have 3 sections you still only have to support them on the outside edges they will hold you weight.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Shadybug Loft, The wooden slated floor you are using looks great. It looks strong, then again you built it! I believe Braden was talking about spaying droppings away with a hose on a daily basis which would not help the health of his flock. Hosing it out once a month especially on a warm or hot day creates no problem. Using a slatted floor gives you more time since your not scrapping twice a day. Would love to see your new loft. Always a pleasure corresponding with you. All the best, Greek Boy
I pull my grate out scape it off Then just scrape the floor. I wash the grate sometimes in the summer with a power washer but just scrape it all winter. I use a 12 inch drywall knife to scape with. It works great but I have a sheet of plastic glued to the floor

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I like that wooden grate flooring.. but it sounds like a good idea to have a sub floor that you can keep enclosed so the snakes and mice can not get in. I would put cedar shavings on the sub floor to keep insects away and it may smell better too..and just scrape it out when it gets to a point you think you should. where you live I think the grated floor would be great.. but you still may have some odor.
Make the floor sections small enough so you can remove them and clean under them. I started out using wood chips without the slates that ended that day what a mess. With the slates and if you have air vents close to the bottom the air dries the droppings fast. Mine are always dry when I scrape them

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Shadybug Loft, The wooden slated floor you are using looks great. It looks strong, then again you built it! I believe Braden was talking about sraying droppings away with a hose on a daily basis which would not help the health of his flock. Hosing it out once a month especially on a warm or hot day creates no problem. Using a slatted floor gives you more time since your not scrapping twice a day. Would love to see your new loft. Always a pleasure corresponding with you. All the best, Greek Boy
I just finished the door its cool. I am working on the roof sheeting today. When I get done I will post pics. In the next day or two. Gary

·
Registered
426 Posts
Shadybug Loft, where do you get the time and energy? Like I said Gary, this sport is real addictive. Seeing your other posted pics of your first one, I'm sure the new loft will be perfect. Can't wait,
Nick-Greek Boy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
wood floor w/ ceramic tile is best. put your breeders on gratted floor.do you think you could win a marathon if you lived over an outhouse?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
wood floor w/ ceramic tile is best. put your breeders on gratted floor.do you think you could win a marathon if you lived over an outhouse?
I think I would rather have my birds living above a out house rather than in one I have visited a few lofts when I started and all the ones with floors were terrible one the poop was 4" thick on the floor. The ones with some kind of slates were clean where the birds walked and where you walked. If you have slates and cant get to clean it for some reason a few days longer doesn't matter.I know It depends on how much you want to clean and everyone is different I knew when I started this that I would not like to clean every day because I don't have the time so I went with the slates and I never regretted it and there going in my new one to.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts