Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a homer that has been losing lots of weight and been pooping a light green color feces. I know it's not canker, but not sure of what it is exactly. It's pupil is very dilated and it doesn't seem to want to eat or drink much. It is not puffy and is still willing to fly to the avian. It just sits there with its head close to its body.

Can someone help?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Maybe it is coccidia, but also it could be whole lot of other things.
Have you dewormed him?
If you have sulfatrim you can try giving him that.
Also don't let him out. Keep him in a warm, quiet place and get some Pedialyte into him.

Reti

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Could be thrush, or an invasive organism in the lungs such as a bacterial infection or fungal. Can you bring this bird to a local vet? Do you have any
meds on hand?

fp

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I have a homer that has been losing lots of weight and been pooping a light green color feces. I know it's not canker, but not sure of what it is exactly. It's pupil is very dilated and it doesn't seem to want to eat or drink much. It is not puffy and is still willing to fly to the avian. It just sits there with its head close to its body.
Can someone help?
Have you isolated him and are you hand feeding him?

The bird needs to be fed if he is not eating, until this is resolved and he eats on his own again. He will go down hill quickly if you don't intervene. Please keep the bird warm and away from air drafts until you can get him to an avian vet..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe it is coccidia, but also it could be whole lot of other things.
Have you dewormed him?
If you have sulfatrim you can try giving him that.
Also don't let him out. Keep him in a warm, quiet place and get some Pedialyte into him.

Reti
Yes, I have dewormed it. Gave it some respiratory drops, and treated it for canker, coccidiosis, paratyphiod, and e coli.

I purchase some antibiotics and it seems to be helping it. Its tongue is becoming more pink now, but not by a whole lot.

Yes, it is separated from the group, but I fear that it may have caught onto my other YBs. They have also been treated as well just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you isolated him and are you hand feeding him?

The bird needs to be fed if he is not eating, until this is resolved and he eats on his own again. He will go down hill quickly if you don't intervene. Please keep the bird warm and away from air drafts until you can get him to an avian vet..
Yes, it is isolated. No, I have not been feeding it by hand. I will then. I wasn't sure if I should or not, but I will. I guess it's the least I can do to stop the weight loss. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could be thrush, or an invasive organism in the lungs such as a bacterial infection or fungal. Can you bring this bird to a local vet? Do you have any
meds on hand?

fp
Yes, I do have meds on hand, but none of them seems to be solving the issue. Hopefully, what I have been giving it will kick in and help cure it. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts