Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I would share some pictures of a feral pigeon that was delivered to me almost two weeks ago.

This guy had a sore and swollen eye and was covered in oil and grease . He was a real champ and surrendered himself as he endured 3 washes and 6 rinses , so in all about a 25 minute wash .

He is approaching release in the coming days provided he can fly well inside the house , previously he wasn't able to get off the ground .

So a bit of a learning experience for me ...I've never had to deal with this type of issue , so another string in my bow you might say :)

Thank you to South Australian Sea Bird Rescue for their valuable assistance and knowledge .

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
.......and after drying off....finally his true colours are starting to show.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Oh the poor thing. Lucky for him you have him.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Please just make sure he is water proof before you release him. This sort of issues usually takes a long recovery to be releasable as all the oils and soap rinse off the natural oils they need to stay dry and warm

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Left eye still looks pretty bad? Ya even tho washed not preening so he doesnt look well enough to me. Great job tho. I had seen here in Canada they use DAWN brand as it is the best grease cutter when bird are stuck in oil spills and gentle on the bird. Do you that brand there?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh the poor thing. Lucky for him you have him.
He is lucky Jay.....He is doing brilliantly now , droppings are excellent ....just needs a little more more weight .

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please just make sure he is water proof before you release him. This sort of issues usually takes a long recovery to be releasable as all the oils and soap rinse off the natural oils they need to stay dry and warm
GimpieLover.....He will be with us for as long as it takes for his feathering to regenerate.....thanks for the advice .

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Left eye still looks pretty bad? Ya even tho washed not preening so he doesnt look well enough to me. Great job tho. I had seen here in Canada they use DAWN brand as it is the best grease cutter when bird are stuck in oil spills and gentle on the bird. Do you that brand there?
Thanks CBL .....Yes I was aware that dawn was the choice liquid to use , unfortunately it isn't available here in Australia ....so used an alternative recommended by S A sea bird rescue .

The pictures are nearly 2 weeks old ....and that left eye has completely healed ....they are now clear and bright . I hope to update the pictures later .

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks GimpieLover .... I think he might be too , he's fallen in love with my disabled hen that I have inside .

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uh oh. now are you going to keep both or split up piji love? =/
I'm not sure GimpieLover ....I'll have a go at seeing if I can integrate him into my flock and see what happens , he'll either stay or head back to wherever he came from .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts