Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I bought myself a book I thought looked interesting.

Turns out to be the best 12Euro I've spent in a long time :)

The book is a republication of an 1887 book by James C. Lyell

Fantastic book! Descriptions of 'every known variety' and many gorgeous drawings too

Most fascinating of all was realizing how little has changed!

Descriptions of lofts, of how much space a pigeon needs, of grit and salt and the problems of humidity and the imp of not overcrowding and good ventilation! Even the feeders and waterers look the same as some modern kinds :D

Breeds haven't changed much either! :)
The only thing that is really different is medication and it just really shows how lucky we are nowadays that we can rely on these medicines and can kill canker for example in a matter of days and do not have to literally wait it out, wait for winter to come and hope some birds survive!

One very interesting thing he mentioned was the use of old lime (not the fruit, but the construction material)

And ideas?? I've never heard mention of lime. He suggests it as a treatment for almost anything, esp diarrhea and imbalances.

Its also a major component in his salt earth mixture if I remember correctly

Sorry for the long post, but thought some other nerds out there would be interested and fascinate too:p

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thats great. If the book is for beginners and helps one to identify breeds, loft designs and so on I would like to buy that immediately. What is it titled?

Talking about lime, I remember vividly that way back (around 25 years back)when i raised around 40 pairs of pigeons just for the fun of it, all of them used to keep pecking at our compound wall which had lime stone mixed with river sand as mortar. There were missing patches of plaster at many places. Those were days when they were known to be as just pigeons, no knowledge about breed, race, grit, feed mix, supplements etc. I fed them pearl millet and wheat ONLY. No grit, no supplements, nothing. Never knew of any diseases nor did any die of illness. I am certain lime has something in it to keep them healthy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The book is called Fancy pigeons: Containing full Directions for their breeding and management, with descriptions of every known variety.

By James C. Lyell

The english is a little old but still understandable. He doesn't have all breeds mentioned but he has a LOT, of many different kinds and some really great prints he did himself, and a lot of background not only of why they might be named but where they came from and their possible origin as a breed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts