Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Road surface Plant Grass Asphalt Flooring

My rescue Broly, he had e.coli, staph infection, and they also said he may have been poisoned. Vet gave him doxycycline, ketoconzole, flagyl, and I think it was called calcium disodium? That was an injection to detox the suspected poison. And some nutritional herbal powder supplements for liver support as his liver enzymes were high and they also said his kidneys were not working as good due to the infections. After a month of meds and He has improved tremendously and is mostly normal now just having some behavioral issues (he is a young male only a year old) grumpy toddler lol. And I think he still might have those damned pigeon feather lice. I will get the sevin dust 5% today at Home Depot. But I am worried for him cause his droppings are still very off. They did a chemistry panel on him and said all his levels were in the normal range though which I was so happy to hear!!!!! I am thinking due to lack of grit, I just introduced it to him recently cause I was told it interferes with the absorption of doxycycline. I’m not sure if he ate any yet. They gave me an herbal supplement to put in his water it’s like a tincture I’m not sure what it is for I think liver support just to make sure. Should I give him some ACV? Probiotics? Can I buy regular probiotics capsules at the store and put them in his food? Let me know if you guys have any idea how I should treat this. Or is it normal and I should not worry? I just worry cause my other pigeons droppings do NOT look like this. She is very healthy.

Road surface Asphalt Font Art Grass

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Try some acv in the drinking water for the next couple of days. It needs to be the one with the "mother" not the filtered brand. Reg the probiotics: get something specific for pigeons or birds.

You are right about the droppings looking odd. Hopefully the good gut bacteria needs to be restored. Milk thistle is used for supporting the liver.

·
Banned
179 Posts
View attachment 99547
My rescue Broly, he had e.coli, staph infection, and they also said he may have been poisoned. Vet gave him doxycycline, ketoconzole, flagyl, and I think it was called calcium disodium? That was an injection to detox the suspected poison. And some nutritional herbal powder supplements for liver support as his liver enzymes were high and they also said his kidneys were not working as good due to the infections. After a month of meds and He has improved tremendously and is mostly normal now just having some behavioral issues (he is a young male only a year old) grumpy toddler lol. And I think he still might have those damned pigeon feather lice. I will get the sevin dust 5% today at Home Depot. But I am worried for him cause his droppings are still very off. They did a chemistry panel on him and said all his levels were in the normal range though which I was so happy to hear!!!!! I am thinking due to lack of grit, I just introduced it to him recently cause I was told it interferes with the absorption of doxycycline. I’m not sure if he ate any yet. They gave me an herbal supplement to put in his water it’s like a tincture I’m not sure what it is for I think liver support just to make sure. Should I give him some ACV? Probiotics? Can I buy regular probiotics capsules at the store and put them in his food? Let me know if you guys have any idea how I should treat this. Or is it normal and I should not worry? I just worry cause my other pigeons droppings do NOT look like this. She is very healthy.

View attachment 99548

·
Banned
179 Posts
Hi there.
Your bird is on the mend .
Your bird has been heavily medicated so it's going to take a few days to get back to normal.If the poop gets runnier and greener then there would be something to worry about.
I don't recommend you give the bird apple cider vinegar as someone has suggested at this point.
It will take some time for the medication to leave the birds system.
Your doing everything right
Don't over think things.
Worrying is normal.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Try some acv in the drinking water for the next couple of days. It needs to be the one with the "mother" not the filtered brand. Reg the probiotics: get something specific for pigeons or birds.

You are right about the droppings looking odd. Hopefully the good gut bacteria needs to be restored. Milk thistle is used for supporting the liver.
Marina B.
I don't agree that the bird needs further medication or three days or more of ACV.
Its system needs to recover.
Apple cider vinegar is a once a month thing used as a preventative measure against sickness in pigeons.
Too much of ACV or garlic or salt will become toxic to the birds immune system.
It can be fatal.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
ACV is a natural antibiotic and creates a friendly environment for the good gut bacteria. Followed by probiotics to help these good bacteria grow. I give my pigeons acv twice a week.

·
Banned
179 Posts
ACV is a natural antibiotic and creates a friendly environment for the good gut bacteria. Followed by probiotics to help these good bacteria grow. I give my pigeons acv twice a week.
Totally agree with you.
But once every three to four weeks is plenty.
The bird in question has had its course of medication.I feel it just needs rest to recover.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Hi, I remember your other thread, I'm very glad to hear that Broly has improved tremendously and is mostly normal now!

Yes, the droppings issue could be related to all the medications he got and more generally to his bad experience (surely he had a stressful experience: diseases, unknown poison, etc).

Have you asked to the vet what are the ingredients of the herbal supplements? If you remember in the other thread I talked to you about artichoke. It has many health benefits, among them it helps liver health and increases the production of bile, which helps remove harmful toxins from liver.
The supplement I bought contains, among its ingredients, artichoke and goldenrod (which has many benefits too, it's good even for kidney) and it really helped my pigeon Londo. She got a horrible infection (the vets gave her meds) and had extremely watery and terrible poops for a long time. The problem was finally fixed thanks to the supplement. If you can find a supplement containing artichoke (I bought it in an agricultural supply store, it's a French product so you can't find it there but I attach a pic so you can get an idea of it) you could give it a try. It could help even Broly.

Yes, probiotics could be helpful too (he took many drugs). My vet suggested me an excellent probiotic supplement called Oceproven Virbac).
It's a French product so you can't find it there but you could try to look for something similar in your country. it contains B-glucans and mannan oligosaccharides, here you can see its composition:

Keep us updated.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, I remember your other thread, I'm very glad to hear that Broly has improved tremendously and is mostly normal now!

Yes, the droppings issue could be related to all the medications he got and more generally to his bad experience (surely he had a stressful experience: diseases, unknown poison, etc).

Have you asked to the vet what are the ingredients of the herbal supplements? If you remember in the other thread I talked to you about artichoke. It has many health benefits, among them it helps liver health and increases the production of bile, which helps remove harmful toxins from liver.
The supplement I bought contains, among its ingredients, artichoke and goldenrod (which has many benefits too, it's good even for kidney) and it really helped my pigeon Londo. She got a horrible infection (the vets gave her meds) and had extremely watery and terrible poops for a long time. The problem was finally fixed thanks to the supplement. If you can find a supplement containing artichoke (I bought it in an agricultural supply store, it's a French product so you can't find it there but I attach a pic so you can get an idea of it) you could give it a try. It could help even Broly.

Yes, probiotics could be helpful too (he took many drugs). My vet suggested me an excellent probiotic supplement called Oceproven Virbac).
It's a French product so you can't find it there but you could try to look for something similar in your country. it contains B-glucans and mannan oligosaccharides, here you can see its composition:

Keep us updated.
Thanks for all the helpful info! I have to ask the vet what is in it. I got Broly some probiotics and I gave him probiotic water for the past two days and I gave him ACV one day and it then his poop looked normal but then it went back greener. I think I will give it to him twice a week and see how it goes. But now also he is driving me crazy with his behavior I’m going to make a separate post cause I’m almost at my wits end.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Acv and probiotics must be part of their regular diet, so you need to include this on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful info! I have to ask the vet what is in it. I got Broly some probiotics and I gave him probiotic water for the past two days and I gave him ACV one day and it then his poop looked normal but then it went back greener. I think I will give it to him twice a week and see how it goes. But now also he is driving me crazy with his behavior I’m going to make a separate post cause I’m almost at my wits end.
You're welcome!

Check the instructions of the probiotics.
There could be different directions for use for intestinal disorder treatment and for routine treatment. Just for example, the oceproven should be administered for 10 consecutive days in case of intestinal imbalance and thrice a week as routine treatment.

As suggested even by the vet, I'm used to give ACV water twice a week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts