Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phoebe, our 8 year old formerly feral pigeon who had reproductive problems and injuries and internal xanthomatosis, seems healthy and happy. However, her poop has become light green and kind of wet and loose. Will try to post a photo tonight when my significant other returns with the camera phone. She is on isoxuprine for heart problems. She eats well (mostly the green pellets, Zupreem cockatiel, prescribed by the vet). Am worried though because of the green color of her poop. Before, it looked more normal. She kind of leaves a wet ring on the paper too around her poop. Does this sound like a serious problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hi when a few in my loft had green poo i sent a sample off it come back with cocci so he might have that or a few other things but a sample will tell you 100 per cent

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It doesn't sound good. Green droppings is a symptom of a serious problem that doesn't disappear without medication. What is this problem is hard to tell. Bacteria, cocci or canker is the most probable. Other possibility is worms.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. So where do you send droppings to for analysis? Is there any special packaging or preparation? Or do you just ask a local vet? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Some vets do but I would go to a larger local clinic as vets with small business may not be very well prepared to interpret the results of a test. I know this from a vet.

And is wise to go with fresh (few hours) sample at a lab in your nearby. Passing more hours make the test inefficient in respect of canker (trichomonoas), which die outside the host body and then can't be seen at test anymore.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Check this....

Thank you. So where do you send droppings to for analysis? Is there any special packaging or preparation? Or do you just ask a local vet? Thanks!
My local vet wants 150 Cdn plus tax for culture and sensitivity for bacteria and fungal. I JUST this am sent samples to the U.K. for 56 Cdn dollars!!!! At first they requested that I swab the cloaca and send that, I said no, why cant I just let her poop and swab the fresh poop, they said send poop samples but send them DRY, I ask why, as all vets want fresh, she said, if fresh and in plastic they will give a false reading as mould and bacteria can grow within shipping wet package, she said to dry the poops out like a cookie and send in a PAPER envelope within a padded one. So I did.

They are Avio biotech in the u.k. found them online by accident, DONT use the U.S. one as they require all sorts of paper work. Their site referred Canadians to the u.k. site.

Now to do just a parasite and worm test was done at home for 35 bucks in house at local vet. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Phoebe, our 8 year old formerly feral pigeon who had reproductive problems and injuries and internal xanthomatosis, seems healthy and happy. However, her poop has become light green and kind of wet and loose. Will try to post a photo tonight when my significant other returns with the camera phone. She is on isoxuprine for heart problems. She eats well (mostly the green pellets, Zupreem cockatiel, prescribed by the vet). Am worried though because of the green color of her poop. Before, it looked more normal. She kind of leaves a wet ring on the paper too around her poop. Does this sound like a serious problem? Thanks.
No one here can say for sure if your bird has a problem. It seems you have established a relationship with a vet, I would use the one that is treating her for her other ailments. Here is the U.S., Most veterinary practices can handle bacteria in droppings well above and beyond expectations . people that live in other countries may have different experiences. You should consult her Dr. And see if she needs any medications before you decide to just take advice and guess and then medicate her, perhaps for no reason.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will ask a local vet as our avian vet is five hours away. Agree that we would never medicate her without a clear diagnosis from the vet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts