Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I just recently joined (I think 3 or 4 days ago), after taking in 2 young orpahaned squabs.

On Saturday, my brother called me, asking about baby pigeons. He's security at a mall and noticed that matinence screened in all the areas that pigeons were hanging out. There was one nest in there, with babies, that had been screened in. The security team moved the nest over to were other nests are (not in the building, but close by). They were without parents for 2 days (security used a camera to be absolutely sure). He was worried about them in case they were not reclaimed by their parents.

He called the SPCA and the Wildlife park, who both told him to leave them be, they are just pigeons, no big deal sorta thing. Now, we don't agree with that, and am now rearing them.

They are wonderful little boogers, now about the age of 16 days or so. They eat very well, have no lice or fleas, and are growing rapidly. I've been reading this forum every day, almost all day, just to be sure I understand what is required and correct with them :)

They are named Ozzy and Diva. Ozzy is the larger of the two - he's got a bit more white feathering on his bum, and is very very relaxed. Diva on the other hand, well everything to her is an ordeal, lol! She freaks out over everything, flapping and crying. Ozzy picks on her a bit, but not so much now that they are being fed on a regular schedule. (and yes, I realize that I can't sex them for several months, but I'm just guessing, lol)

I have them enclosed in a large rabbit cage, in a rubbermaid container, with a larger ceramic dog dish filled with shavings, and a blanket outside of that. There is a heat lamp on the other end of the cage, keeping them at a constant temp (26-28 Celcius, in F I don't recall what that is, lol, maybe 80?), but it's not right on them (as I don't want to kill them).

I've attached a few photos - first is of both babies on Saturday. Next is Ozzy feeding yesterday (I adapted the syringe method to use a water bottle - it's quicker, cleaner and I can feed both babies in about 15 mins rather than the 45 it was taking previously). Lastly is a pic of their digs ;)

Well, I should get going :) Thank you for having me here, and I look forward to getting to know many of you! You have all already been so very helpful :D

Attachments

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Welcome,
Nice saved on those babies. If the parents didn't come back after 2 days, then definitely something happened to them. Parents usually come back to feed their children.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you :) And yes, that was my concern (and the security teams). Luckily these babies are hearty and growing like weeds :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts