Pigeon-Talk banner

Greetings from South-Africa

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Reti 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to this fabulous website and would just like to say 'Hallo from beautiful South-Africa' to all you wonderful people :)

I reside in South-Africa in the lowveld region close to the Kruger National Park, I've been raised in a racing pigeon home yet now that I'm all grown up and own my own house, I finally decided to build my own loft and to get started with Fancy pigeons (as they have always been more of my thing); currently I have French Mondains, Holle Croppers and Brunners; my first pair of Holle Croppers just laid their eggs yesterday and one pair of my Mondains started as well, so I'm well on my way :) However I will also begin with Jacobin pigeons, Ice pigeons and Hungarian House Pigeons after this weekend as I'm going to recieve a breeding pair of each of the above over this weekend.

I have a few questions for any 'old timers' willing to help haha, first of all I would like to know how many times a month can I give my pigeons the following pills/tablets: Garlic and Cod Liver oil? I have given them each one of the above already but I just want to know how many times a month they should recieve it in order to stay in top condition? The I also want to know how many times a month/week I should give them Apple Cider Vinegar and Brewers Yeast? And also Multi-vitamins in the water...? I have purchased all of the above in order to keep my show pigeons in tip top shape however can someone please assist me with a possible schedule as to how many times a week I should give what of the above exactly? Thank you I really appreciate any answers and assistance, I love pigeons and I'm really happy to have found this wonderful website!!!

My aim is to have the most beautiful and well maintained show pigeons in the area ANY tip on keeping show pigeons in great condition would be greatly appreciated!

(Finishing note/details; I currently have one loft with 8 pairs all mixed together, Brunners, Holle Croppers and Mondains however they do not interbreed and stick with their own mates, I will however be building another seperate loft for the Jacobins, Ice Pigeons and Hungarian house pigeons...my loft sizes are 2.5 meter x 2.5 meter x 2.5 meters; I cannot build seperate lofts for each type as that would mean 8 lofts, so some of them have to share with the others, I do however keep an eye on them and they do not cross breed, they have their own nest boxes and stay in it with their respective mates)

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to pigeon-talk! :) I have always wanted some Ice Pigeons but have yet to get any.

Garlic and cod liver oil - once a week. Twice a week at the most. I would do the same with Brewer's yeast. The vitamins, once or twice a week. All of those you can do every other week, or whatever suits you. ACV can be given everyday or however often you'd like.

Rather than giving them the pill form, you could get cod liver oil (just the oil, not in a capsul) to lightly coat the feed and then sprinkle garlic powder, which would then stick to the oil. Much easier than catching each pigeon and giving them tablets by hand! You can also use the oil to stick the brewer's yeast to the feed.

Here's a schedule you could try:
Monday-ACV
Tuesday- Cod liver oil
Wednesday- ACV
Thursday- Vitamins
Friday- ACV
Saturday- Brewer's yeast
Sunday- Garlic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.