Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start my flagstone patio right after I get my loft built. The other day I was looking at the stone and the sand base that is used. What brought something to mind when I saw what was used for the base was the high price of grit. Over 20 dollars a bag. The base is crusher fines. In my eyes it was a two ton pile of pigeon grit at 60 bucks a truck load. My thoughts were with a box of charcoal from the pet store and a bag of oyster shell crumbled up, I would have some pretty good grit.

I also know of the old timers finding remote ant hills, picking out any glass and using this as grit.

Any ideas.

Randy

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If you clean the rock, you shouldn't have a problem. I've often wondered if crushing the seashells I find on our beach trips could be used as grit. That would be free! I already have a lot laying around here that are just taking up space.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I wonder if a person could use those materials, seashells, granite, etc? Maybe even put all of it in a diluted solution of hydrogen peroxide to kill any bacteria, then rinse it good with clean water. I purchase the red grit at the local feed store, and add more oyster shell, charcoal and iodized sea salt. I got the idea from Dennis Weinreich of Hawkbait Lofts in Chico, CA. If you type in his name on youtube for searching videos, no space between his first and last name, you can watch alot of his video clips. They are very interesting, and you can tell he really loves his birds.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Randy,

As long as it is good clean stone it should make good grit. If you want to make sure you will not give anything to your birds that may have bacteria or worms just put it on cookie sheets and place them in your oven at over 250* for a half hour or so and it will take care of that for you.

Ace

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
I am going to start my flagstone patio right after I get my loft built. The other day I was looking at the stone and the sand base that is used. What brought something to mind when I saw what was used for the base was the high price of grit. Over 20 dollars a bag. The base is crusher fines. In my eyes it was a two ton pile of pigeon grit at 60 bucks a truck load. My thoughts were with a box of charcoal from the pet store and a bag of oyster shell crumbled up, I would have some pretty good grit.

I also know of the old timers finding remote ant hills, picking out any glass and using this as grit.

Any ideas.

Randy
Hi RANDY, Be careful you can't be sure that there may be some type of contamination in that sand. If I were you I would look into using play sand that is sold for kids sand boxes.I know of old timer using the dirt from mole hills.GEORGE;)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hi RANDY, Be careful you can't be sure that there may be some type of contamination in that sand. If I were you I would look into using play sand that is sold for kids sand boxes.I know of old timer using the dirt from mole hills.GEORGE;)
Also be very careful my cats have not used the sandbox.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts