Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of grit is good for Pigeons? I know there are several kinds of grits, and whatabout osyter shells, what do they do?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I use red pigeon grit from Foys. The oyster shell has calcium. It is very important if they are breeding so the females can lay good eggs and not get eggbound from lack of calcium!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I ues the ones mentioned above. You can find them at a Feed Store.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Trees Gray

Thank you! I am going to need a lot of help! I get my racing homers next week and I want the best for them! I am getting some 4 ybs from a guy in a pigeon club in michigan, the parents are 500 mile racers. I am lucky to have found such good people. Wow, still good people these days, it is wonderful!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Various type of grit has different content of minerals. Stones in grit help gizzard functioning, as pigeon don’t have teeth to chew seeds. Oyster shells are good source of calcium, which birds need for their bones and egg production. I personally like to use two, three types of mineral grit (pink minerals, charcoal and oyster mixes).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went to several pet shops and outdoor shops looking for pigeon grit. Lots of finch food and parrot charcoal but nothing for pigeons. Is it really neccesary to buy the grit?

If so is there an alternative I could use?
I only have one pigeon so buying online a huge bulk could be costly and inefficient T.T

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you can get kay-tee hi calcium grit at the petstore for cocktiel sized birds, it is a bit small but it is better than nothing. you really need to go to a farm supply or feedstore for the red grit and oystershell, they also sell pick pots at the pigeon supply sites online. just google pigeon supply.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts