Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's tim again with another pigeon situation. A pigeon has been hanging out at ground level, south face of buidling for about 48 hours now. It appears it can't fly, although it can walk around. When I check on it, I always find it stationary. First two days it was sitting like a duck, on a ground level ledge against a wall. Well sheltered, but with no intention of moving. It seemed comfortable. There were other pigeons perched in the general vicinity so it had company. However it didn't leave various spots on that ground floor ledge for 48 hours. Today I find it about 30 feet away. Now its standing in a corner as opposed to sitting. I'm guessing its been moving around a bit, in a bid to fly but with no luck. I have been leaving it seed but I can't be sure its eating it, as it won't eat in front of me, which is very unpigeon like, and most of the seed still seems to be there when I check on it.
Any ideas? The weather is summer warm and the area it's in is sheltered, so its ok in that respect, but it seems stuck in its immediate vicinity.
Should I call animal services and have them take it away or just leave it to heal. Maybe is it dying? Is this what pigeons do when they die? Stop flying and fade away on the ground?

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Can you tell us where you are? Then we might be able to recommend somone that will help.

The pigeon needs to be taken to safety, provided with food and water until it is well and I don't think Animal Services or their couterparts in any country are inclined to help a pigeon in distress.

If you can't take him in can you offer him some water? It would be difficult for him to find water if he can't fly.

Cynthia

·
Registered
499 Posts
not flying/means food for predator,,i have good luck retreiving injured birds-with a big fish net with a long handle,.if you can capture and isolate,,for his own protection/until is able to fly,,check out the poops,as you assess the nature of the injury,..sincerely james waller

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am in downtown Toronto, Yonge and St Clair area if anyone wants to come and get it. I just checked on it. Its resting on a ground level ledge. Well sheltered. Its moved to a part of the ledge which is about 5 feet above ground. The only predator that could get at is a cat but there are not many wandering this neighborhood. Owners tend to keep them indoors. racoons and skunks I assume would leave it alone. I tried to plunk food and water in front of it this afternoon but of course it immediately scurried away as I approached, so I put the water on its ledge which seems to be its base, and then scattered seed at it, which it did stop to eat. It seemed to like to peck at the loose seed rather than gobble up the piles that I have left for it at various places. It can move around quite well but its goal seems to be to sit. It's friends will probably gobble up the seed piles first thing in the morning. I left a pile about 3 feet in front of its present location so water and food are both only a few step away, if it decides to make the effort.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Timm...it would be difficult for one of us to collect the bird as we are members from all over the world and we don't have anyone close. Can you please go get the bird and bring it inside. I doubt it's had anything to eat. It may very well be a youngster that can't fly yet and has fallen from a nest.
It would be great if you would post a picture.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You can take a box, capture the pigeon and bring it into an area which is predator proof. This can be your house or garage.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I am in downtown Toronto, Yonge and St Clair area if anyone wants to come and get it. I just checked on it. Its resting on a ground level ledge. Well sheltered. Its moved to a part of the ledge which is about 5 feet above ground. The only predator that could get at is a cat but there are not many wandering this neighborhood. Owners tend to keep them indoors. racoons and skunks I assume would leave it alone. I tried to plunk food and water in front of it this afternoon but of course it immediately scurried away as I approached, so I put the water on its ledge which seems to be its base, and then scattered seed at it, which it did stop to eat. It seemed to like to peck at the loose seed rather than gobble up the piles that I have left for it at various places. It can move around quite well but its goal seems to be to sit. It's friends will probably gobble up the seed piles first thing in the morning. I left a pile about 3 feet in front of its present location so water and food are both only a few step away, if it decides to make the effort.
Unless you know Pigeons, it can be hard to tell an adult from a youngster. Often they will try to pick up seeds but drop them and it sounds like that's exactly what this one was doing so...it may not be a matter of if it makes the effort. A picture of the bird would be helpful to tell you if it is a young one or not.
Should the bird be ill, bringing the bird inside for the night and taking it to rehab tomorrow could save the bird's life.
I know you are concerned or you wouldn't have posted here in the first place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your help! You are right Charis. I can't really tell if it is young or old. My guess is that it is old. Good news it did gobble up the pile of seed I left for it. Hard to tell if it drank any water. I think what I will do is catch it tomorrow and drive it to a local bird sanctuary. There has got to be one somewhere in and around Toronto.
It does appear to be quite safe. It's living in the area under the first floor balconies and has staked out a ledge above a good 5 foot drop. Its practically invisible. I could hardly find it today. The biggest annoyance to it I think is myself. It doesn't like me coming near it, so I stay clear and try to put food on the ledge near it, which worked today.
This is a highly populated downtown sidestreet. Lots of pedestrian traffic and cars. No wildlife other than squirrels and lots of birds. No feral cats. ***** and skunks skulk around at night. Pigeons love this neighborhood as there are lots of apartment buildings, churches, fountains, offices buildings and lots of people especially during the work day and a good amount of greenery. In the cities, pigeons seem to be where there are buildings and people. There are hundreds of pigeons downtown by the train station and pretty much everywhere where people congregate, and a good number in this neigborhood.
Just from observation, it looks like an experienced forager. It was digging around in the gravel rooting out the seed I scattered in its general direction and now its finally dug into one of the piles.
I only discovered it when I went into the area to feed some other pigeons that I saw were hanging around, perched here and there and foraging on the ground, so I went upstairs and got some seed. It was when I was distributing the seed that I figured out this one on the ledge wasn't as excited as the others, so I have been monitoring it
for the last couple of days.
I'd take a picture but (embarrased) I don't have a digital camera or cellphone camera. I know. I'm just not a picture taker.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Charis! I have called Toronto Wildlife Centre at link you provided. Left a message. Waiting for callback. I will either drop off or have them pick it up. It might be hard to catch as it is eating and it did drink about half the water I left it overnight. If it stays put on its ledge which seems to be its preference, I could corner it there. It might have come down yesterday to look for food or maybe just got spooked by something and decided to move. Anyway it seems content on the ledge. I have a feeling it will stay there as it has both food and water at that location.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I don't think they will pick up.This is baby bird season and all rehabbers are OVERLOADED!
You may be waiting for a long time for a call back and so it's best you be proactive and keep trying to get thorough to them.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Wish you would post a picture. This may be a baby that just can't fly. We would be able to tell you in seconds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good news. The pigeon is now a ward of the Toronto Wildlife Centre. They tell me its an adult and that their medical staff will look at it shortly. They are very efficient. I forgot to mention, they guarantee callbacks within an hour, so after we talked, I agreed to deliver it to them. Had more zip in it than I thought. I thought I had it cornered on its ledge which is 5 foot drop, with only one entrance from the flat gravel area. I blocked off the entrance with a foot high brick. However it effortessly jumped up on the brick, with a mini wing flap. Hopped down and then another hop onto the gravel area where it successfully eluded my first two attempts to get a towel over it. Realizing it was more mobile than I thought, I properly stalked it and got it on the third attempt:) Put it in a nice comfy blue box with the towel over the box and we enjoyed an uneventful drive to the sanctuary.
The people at the Wildlife centre were very nice. They showed me the baby pigeons, that they had rehabbing. They all looked quite comfortable and cute.
They said they would call me if and when they were able to release it. They would like to release it where it was found.
Thanks again for everyone's help. Thats two grounded pigeons that I have rescued at this building in the last 9 months.:)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Good job, Timm!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, thank you Timm for helping this bird. Just so you know though, skunks and raccoons WILL kill pigeons, and have broken into many lofts to do so.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tip Jay3. Forgive me, but I didn't figure skunks and racoons to be meat eaters. Why do they attack pigeons?
This guy I rescued was smart. Only a cat, squirrel or another bird could have navigated on to its ledge.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Thanks for the tip Jay3. Forgive me, but I didn't figure skunks and racoons to be meat eaters. Why do they attack pigeons?
This guy I rescued was smart. Only a cat, squirrel or another bird could have navigated on to its ledge.
They will eat anything. Rats will do the same. Poor pigeons are food to many predators.:( They attack in the dark, as pigeons can't see to fly away when it's dark. They're like sitting ducks. That's why they usually roost high up. Since this poor guy couldn't fly, that's probably as high up as he could get. Instict tells him to get up as high as he can.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It's good to know. Helps you know how to keep them safe better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts