Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting into rehab work and was given a grounded pigeon by the rehabber I am currently working under. The pigeon had a broken wing that appears to have set bad. I was told that this one may be a perm placement as it may never fly and am totally ok with that. My question lies in what would be suitable housing for a grounded pigeon. Right now he is in a carrier (the carrier has a perch but the pigeon is unable to get itself up on it to roost but walks comfortably in and around the temp cage.) while my DH builds him a more perm home. We had a couple ideas one being a rather large cage (I would guestimate 6ft x 4ft) that was being built for a large reptile that we no longer possess. My idea is to turn it on its side and place it on legs almost like a rabbit hutch. It would have a small covered area to nest in and the rest of the area to walk about. Our other option it to start from scratch using hardware cloth and building a typical bird type cage. Suggestion appreciated.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I am just getting into rehab work and was given a grounded pigeon by the rehabber I am currently working under. The pigeon had a broken wing that appears to have set bad. I was told that this one may be a perm placement as it may never fly and am totally ok with that. My question lies in what would be suitable housing for a grounded pigeon. Right now he is in a carrier (the carrier has a perch but the pigeon is unable to get itself up on it to roost but walks comfortably in and around the temp cage.) while my DH builds him a more perm home. We had a couple ideas one being a rather large cage (I would guestimate 6ft x 4ft) that was being built for a large reptile that we no longer possess. My idea is to turn it on its side and place it on legs almost like a rabbit hutch. It would have a small covered area to nest in and the rest of the area to walk about. Our other option it to start from scratch using hardware cloth and building a typical bird type cage. Suggestion appreciated.
Welcome to PT :)
Hardware cloth is the best and safest, keeps predators, mice and snakes out! The birds that I keep inside in my isolation room - I have them in large dog crates and cover them with 1/4 inch mesh because I have cats inside.
Alot of us have handicap birds that can't fly. I put a brick on the bottom for them to get up on. I also put a shelf about half way up and use the wire ramps that you can get for ferret cages. The reptile enclosure would be excellent - where he can't fly, I would give him the extra floor space instead of height.
We love pictures :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick reply. The brick is a great idea, I was trying to think of something I could use to get him off the floor of the crate. The reptile cage is made from hardware cloth but will need a few modifications before we can get him in there if we choose to go that route. I will try and get DH to take a few photos of him today, he is a really pretty green color different from the wild ones that live in the loft of our barn which are mostly gray.

I was just thinking we also have a large wire dog kennel that could be lined in the hardware cloth as well to make it more appropriate for bird use. It already has a shelf added for a previous resident adding a ramp would not be too difficult and the built in tray would make for easy cleaning. We are going to have to do some digging around tomorrow to see what we can piece together to make him more comfortable since he will most likely be a permanent resident. I am glad I came across this forum. I have been searching for the past couple od days trying to gather more info on how to care for grounded pigeons. The rehabber I am working under does not typically work with birds so could not give too much advice on long term housing for grounded birds so I have been on my own to try and come up with something suitable for long term. Thanks again, as a newbie rehabber I am sure I will be lurking here quite a bit with question from time to time.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Thanks for helping find the pigeon a home - & just wanna state the obvious here - even with a cage that size the bird's gonna need 'outside time' every day (outside not meaning outdoor - just meaning some space\opportunity to walkabout and wander securely)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Thanks for helping find the pigeon a home - & just wanna state the obvious here - even with a cage that size the bird's gonna need 'outside time' every day (outside not meaning outdoor - just meaning some space\opportunity to walkabout and wander securely)

I agree.
Also ...keep in mind that pigeons are very social and taking in another disabled pigeon would be a good idea. You would want to figure out the gender first though. Probably wouldn't work to put two males together.
In the meantime, add a mirror so the bird can admired his/her sweet self.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Such a pretty little thing. Charis is right in that most pigeons like having a mirror in their cage, and a little friend would certainly make things nicer for him/her. I don't use bricks to stand on as most do though. I feel they can get kinda cold and don't like my birds standing on cold bricks. But if you were to put two bricks in the cage, one on each side, and run a board in between them, say an 8 or 10 inch wide board by whatever the length it takes to sit on both bricks, it gives him a nice little shelf to sit on. They have more room to move around on it also and they seem to like that. You can also use a 2X4 cut into two pieces that the board can sit on. As Waynette mentioned, the length and width of the cage is more important than the height. If you can cover a couple of sides of the cage, like where he likes to sleep, they like having a cozy covered little corner. Perhaps near the shelf, as he will probably sleep on that.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
This is what I meant about the shelf. One is on the 2X4s and one is placed a bit higher. But both grounded birds were able to access either one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much for posting that image. One of the cages we were considering is almost identical to what you have but it is much bigger and has a shelf about 2 feet up that we were thinking of adding a ramp to so he could climb up it. Wonderful! We may be able to get him in his new cage tomorrow then *fingers crossed* I will post pics once I have it set up.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
This is what I meant about the shelf. One is on the 2X4s and one is placed a bit higher. But both grounded birds were able to access either one.

RainEdaywoman, Very pretty bird :)
This is what I have mine in that are in isolation, but where as I have cats I cover my crates with 1/4 hardware cloth on the exposed sides.
Jay3, I like the perch idea on the left with the slats - I would do the same on the right side (just lower), easier to clean ;)

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
You're right, it is much easier to clean when the shelf sits on the slats. You don't have to take everything out to pull out the floor of the cage. I only had them in it for a short while, but am planning on getting more of the wood slats for the other side next time I need the cage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts