Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first year flying in about thirty years. I have lost too many young birds in the first couple of weekends races, and was worried about having enough birds for next years old bird season, so I intended to just send my remaining birds on the truck, for training, and not enter anymore races. The training group would just have about forty or so birds in it and I thought that I would get better return results if my birds were not released in a large flock. The large flock "drag" I figured, had something to do with my excessive losses (an excuse I came up with, for obvious reasons).

But, after checking the weather conditions, and in particular, the direction of the winds on race day, I made a last minute decision to enter the "B" race. Our Combine has an "A" race and a "B" race on the same day. There would be approximately 300 or 400 birds in the "A" race I figured, and approximately 180 to 200 in the "B" race. So, I went with the smaller race due to the reasoning mentioned above.

It was a 150 mile race but it is actually 186 miles for me. I entered 14 birds.

Well, I just found out a few minutes ago, that I took 1st in the "B" race, in the Combine. Two hundred and six birds from 12 lofts. I am so excited and happy.

The bird that came home for me, forty-five minutes ahead of my second bird, was also my first bird home in last weekends "B" race. Up until this weekend, I have been entering both the "A" race and the "B" race. Funny thing is, my "winner" just doesn't look the part. A blus bar white flight, whose wings hang too low, almost as if it is sickly. But it has always looked like that. It has come first for me, the last two races. Winning the club last week in a 100 and now the combine in a 150.

My winning birds ypm would have got me 15th place in the "A" race, at that same speed. There were 358 birds in that race.

I'll take the 1st place Combine over the 206 birds. Thank you very much.

I know many of you out there, have accomplished more than this on a routine basis. But I am just starting and it is so exciting.

Oh, and thanks to Mike for giving me that "made me happy" bird. Thanks Mike!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well are'nt you somethin'!!! or should I say is'nt your pigeon somethin'! you must be soooooo excited....enjoy and congratulations! :)

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Well Done !!!

My first year flying in about thirty years. I have lost too many young birds in the first couple of weekends races, and was worried about having enough birds for next years old bird season, so I intended to just send my remaining birds on the truck, for training, and not enter anymore races. The training group would just have about forty or so birds in it and I thought that I would get better return results if my birds were not released in a large flock. The large flock "drag" I figured, had something to do with my excessive losses (an excuse I came up with, for obvious reasons).

But, after checking the weather conditions, and in particular, the direction of the winds on race day, I made a last minute decision to enter the "B" race. Our Combine has an "A" race and a "B" race on the same day. There would be approximately 300 or 400 birds in the "A" race I figured, and approximately 180 to 200 in the "B" race. So, I went with the smaller race due to the reasoning mentioned above.

It was a 150 mile race but it is actually 186 miles for me. I entered 14 birds.

Well, I just found out a few minutes ago, that I took 1st in the "B" race, in the Combine. Two hundred and six birds from 12 lofts. I am so excited and happy.

The bird that came home for me, forty-five minutes ahead of my second bird, was also my first bird home in last weekends "B" race. Up until this weekend, I have been entering both the "A" race and the "B" race. Funny thing is, my "winner" just doesn't look the part. A blus bar white flight, whose wings hang too low, almost as if it is sickly. But it has always looked like that. It has come first for me, the last two races. Winning the club last week in a 100 and now the combine in a 150.

My winning birds ypm would have got me 15th place in the "A" race, at that same speed. There were 358 birds in that race.

I'll take the 1st place Combine over the 206 birds. Thank you very much.

I know many of you out there, have accomplished more than this on a routine basis. But I am just starting and it is so exciting.

Oh, and thanks to Mike for giving me that "made me happy" bird. Thanks Mike!
Yahoo !!!!!

Good Job !!

Enjoy that good feeling !! Savor it !!!

That's what we who race, get up in the morning and haul those birds down the road for, and scrap and clean, and fret about, etc. etc.

I'm proud of you !! :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Outstanding job ConditionFreak, i bet you are floating on clouds with a little more fire in your step, i know i would be...lets hope for another strong performance this weekend ;)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Winds are going to be in my favor again. Let keep our fingers crossed. I made 90976 my pick bird.

How could I not. First bird home the last two weeks for me.

Why do I keep seeing hawks when I am trying to fall asleep? :)

hmmm...I wonder what is the longest distance a hawk has chased a pigeon? Hope one chases mine 186 miles in the right direction (and then gives up). :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
conditionfreak,

Good luck this week, after two weeks, this is when condition and prior care and handling come into play! Course you already knew that since you've been at it awhile.

Ralph

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well.
Sometimes you are in the penthouse and sometimes you are in the basement.

I don't think I did so well this week. I know of at least two lofts that beat me and there is probably more. I won't know until maybe Tuesday, for sure. But my bird was 16 minutes later than I figured I needed to win. We'll see come Tuesday.

One thing that disturbed me was that my one really good bird. The one that is always my first bird home and won the Combine last week, did not return by the time I had to go and do the "knock off" at my club, a long drive away. I felt let down.

When I got back home 5 hours later, it was there. I was relieved but upset that he/she didn't do better. I had made it my pick bird, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I picked it up to see if all was well with it and found that its' right wing was injured. I took a pic of the injury because it is something I have not seen before. I will put it here and I ask if anyone has any ideas what could have cause this kind of injury, at this location on the bird?

I know that there are a lot of things that can happen to a pigeon, and sometimes weird things happen, but I can not ascertain what may have caused this type of injury. It does not go through to the outside of the wing, although the out side (outher side) of the wing, is swollen and black and blue. But since the bird is a blue, it is hard to see.

Any ideas what may have caused this type of injury? I was not able to locate any buckshot, but my eyes are not that great.

·
Registered
245 Posts
conditionfreak,

It looks like a birdshot injury, the reason I say this is it looks like the pellet or BB hit at an angle and tore the skin covering and hit hard enough to bruise the opposite side of the wing skin. Since there was no exit wound either, the shot is still present or it fell out of the wound while the bird was still trying to fly home.

Ralph

1 - 20 of 26 Posts