Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every racing seasoning there is that one guy to beat. Who is that guy in your club. What line does he fly? What system does he use? In my club, there is the guy that always on top all the time. Even if he does not win 1st he'll take 2nd and so on. But most likely he will be the guy to beat since he is the most consistance flier who always place high

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
There are a few guys in my competition that are always "right there" on race day, but the guy to beat is one man in particular.

He has a loft that rivals my home in appearance and conveniences. He has money and has bought the best of the best for many years. He is so good at winning in our Combine, that often he doesn't even race because he is bored with it. I have been told by veterans that there used to be another that gave him good competition and he was excited and enthusiastic about his racing then. But the other guy moved away and now this one particular man has lost his drive.

When he does race, he usually wins. He is always at or near the top. He is there at shipping night often, but sometimes doesn't even ship. He says things like "if I was still racing pigeons, I probably would do good tomorrow because of the winds". Sometimes when he is shipping birds, he will say that he hasn't had them down the road for two weeks, but then there he is the next day. On top. The other veteran flyers tell me to not believe him about his training or lack thereof. They say he probably was to the first release point every day the previous two weeks.

I don't know.

He does seem bored with it though, and he does clean clocks when he decides to fly.

A funny story abut him.

When I first attended a Combine meeting, several guys were offering me young birds to fly that season and I gladly accepted their offers. This guy I have been talking about, was there and seemed to want to join in with the gang and he walked up to me and said that he would give me a dozen or so young birds to fly that year.

Here is the funny part. I didn't know anything about him and said the same thing I has said to the other flyers "that would be great. Thank you", or something along those lines. But I noticed that everything had stopped (it was shipping night and many were busy doing what they do on shipping night). I looked around and everyone looked stunned and several had dropped jaws. I thought I had said something insulting and was going over in my head, what I had said to him.

Then in a few moments, everything returned to a somewhat normal state but three guys made it a point to walk close past me and whisper something to the effect of "you better take those birds, you don't know what you have been offered".

I later found out that only once in like forty years had he ever offered anyone pigeons before. Also found out that he buys birds that cost thousands and sometimes tens of thousands of dollars. Many of us went to dinner after the shipping was over (he was not there), and all anyone could talk about was how I was the luckiest guy in the world.

He never did give me any birds. :) I never asked about his offer again, and he seemed to forget or change his mind. But I don't blame him. If he has spent money like that, why should he just give his "stuff" away. I hold no hard feelings and understand how sometimes a person can get caught up in the moment and say something they really didn't mean.

Besides, it will be fun to beat him someday.

Someday. Someday.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I don't really think there is a specific person in our club. Everyone gets their chance. Although there is one in particular who does win a whole lot, making him the guy to beat. But I couldn't tell you what his birds are, other than good, or how he does things. I just know he trains a lot, although he rarely says how far, just the amount they've been. I haven't really sat down and asked any of the guys just how they do things yet. Then again, if you know me in person, I don't talk much, so that isn't surprising :p
Our club probably sounds quite secretive, but not really. They'll always give you a bit of advice (even though sometimes they don't until it's too late :rolleyes: ). I also don't really think anyone in the club has a specific strain or family they fly. They keep good birds, regardless of the name that is attached to them. The only one I know has quite a few birds from one place, has a lot of Ganus birds. Being able to spend a couple thousand on one bird must be nice!

G

·
There are a few guys in my competition that are always "right there" on race day, but the guy to beat is one man in particular.

He has a loft that rivals my home in appearance and conveniences. He has money and has bought the best of the best for many years. He is so good at winning in our Combine, that often he doesn't even race because he is bored with it. I have been told by veterans that there used to be another that gave him good competition and he was excited and enthusiastic about his racing then. But the other guy moved away and now this one particular man has lost his drive.

When he does race, he usually wins. He is always at or near the top. He is there at shipping night often, but sometimes doesn't even ship. He says things like "if I was still racing pigeons, I probably would do good tomorrow because of the winds". Sometimes when he is shipping birds, he will say that he hasn't had them down the road for two weeks, but then there he is the next day. On top. The other veteran flyers tell me to not believe him about his training or lack thereof. They say he probably was to the first release point every day the previous two weeks.

I don't know.

He does seem bored with it though, and he does clean clocks when he decides to fly.

A funny story abut him.

When I first attended a Combine meeting, several guys were offering me young birds to fly that season and I gladly accepted their offers. This guy I have been talking about, was there and seemed to want to join in with the gang and he walked up to me and said that he would give me a dozen or so young birds to fly that year.

Here is the funny part. I didn't know anything about him and said the same thing I has said to the other flyers "that would be great. Thank you", or something along those lines. But I noticed that everything had stopped (it was shipping night and many were busy doing what they do on shipping night). I looked around and everyone looked stunned and several had dropped jaws. I thought I had said something insulting and was going over in my head, what I had said to him.

Then in a few moments, everything returned to a somewhat normal state but three guys made it a point to walk close past me and whisper something to the effect of "you better take those birds, you don't know what you have been offered".

I later found out that only once in like forty years had he ever offered anyone pigeons before. Also found out that he buys birds that cost thousands and sometimes tens of thousands of dollars. Many of us went to dinner after the shipping was over (he was not there), and all anyone could talk about was how I was the luckiest guy in the world.

He never did give me any birds. :) I never asked about his offer again, and he seemed to forget or change his mind. But I don't blame him. If he has spent money like that, why should he just give his "stuff" away. I hold no hard feelings and understand how sometimes a person can get caught up in the moment and say something they really didn't mean.

Besides, it will be fun to beat him someday.

Someday. Someday.
sounds like that guy lost a good friend when that other guy in the club moved away.. some people have a real hard time connecting with others, he may be one of them ,but Im just guessing cuz Im not there lol ;)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
In my club, Vince Hugo Xiong is the guy to beat. His bird placed 3rd in the National Database in the middle distance category and mine placed 10th. Still got to find a way to beat him!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Well in my old club/combine there were basically 3 guys you could count on to be there. One guy, he was what we called a 'mob flyer' he would often ship 100+ birds over 2 races. He lived off the line of flight so you could bet that if the winds were out of the SE he was going to win the race, his birds I believe were Sion based. I don't know what methods he used to train/race his birds though. Also if it was a 500+ mile race this was the guy to beat, I don't remember a race where he didn't get a day bird including all of our 600 mile races. And at those distances he would still get 3 or more on the drop.

Guy #2 lives directly on the line of flight. His birds are based around the '720 Witoger' lines. If its a fast race count on him winning. He doesn't really have time to train his birds much as he had a very busy family life and hectic work schedule. Sometimes would take a couple weeks for his birds to catch up due to this, but once they were in shape good luck beating him. He flew most of his birds on the natural system, but did have a small widowhood team as well.

Guy #3 lived slightly of the line of flight, so if the winds were out of the SW then you can count on him winning. His loft was truely a family loft. He had a daughter 3 years younger than me, which was his partner and driving force. She had to go off to college, studying to be a vet, and now this flyer has dropped down the race sheet. The driving force has left and I think he has become complacent or just doesn't have the time to train the birds like he did when his daughter was around. I know when he was flying at his best he trained the snot out of the birds, but I don't know if he flew any special system. I know that he had based his loft on the old Stassart blood.

All three of these guys have won national awards and big time futurity races. Whats even better is that all 3 of them are great individuals, they would give you the shirt off their back and help you any way possible. All gave me superb pigeons off of their best pairs. I remember for my high school graduation, flyers 2 and 3 allowed me to pick a bird from their breeding lofts to pair together. Flyer 1 gave me a pair of his breeders. When I needed someone to take my birds to the ship out because I was playing football for the high school Flyer 3 would do it no problem as we lived in the same city. Flyer 3 would take my birds with his on training tosses because often times I wasn't able to do it with my obligations to sports. I remember my hardest thing when I was moving away for college was telling them that I wouldn't be able to continue flying. I gave all the birds back that they had given me, and to my surprise we are all still in contact. Also, again to my surprise, they have all offered me pigeons since they know I am getting back into the sport. Just from knowing the guys I know they won't be culls either, they will look at it as a way for them to test their birds against a much larger combine/federation and want me to succeed with them. I not only met some very good mentors but have gained 3 life long friends with these gentlemen.

·
Registered
386 Posts
In my club, Vince Hugo Xiong is the guy to beat. His bird placed 3rd in the National Database in the middle distance category and mine placed 10th. Still got to find a way to beat him!
Yea, Vince Xiong is a top flyer from the state of MN especially in the Twin Cities area.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Other than ME :D our top two fliers are brothers. One flies some old blood Bastin/Havenith and feeds wild bird seed and trains irregularly. The other...who knows what the bloodlines are, he doesn't. He feeds what most others do and takes'em to work every day (about 15 air miles) then leaves the loft open. Those 2 are tough to beat especially on the short races and you never see or hear of a sick bird. They can't get me on the 300 though. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts