Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost had a near disaster last night. I had borrowed two cocks from a friend because I had too many hens. I have got one round of babies from this cock and the eggs to the second round were hatching yesterday evening. That’s when he flew out of the loft door. It’s about 6:30 pm, and I’m figuring that I’m going to be making the 40 mile trip to retrieve him from his home loft. However, he did not fly off. He looked confused and was flying back and forth from a tree branch to the roof of my house. Well I decided to let the hen he is mated to out on the roof to see if she could get him back in the loft. She’s my hen and I knew she would not fly off. Well she flew up to him and did not look particularly happy that he was not in the loft. It kind of looked like a wife catching her husband at the bar when he was supposed to be watching their kids. Well, she walked around him a few times then flew back to the loft and went in. Fortunately, he was in hot pursuit and followed her through the traps. The next morning I had two new babies…disaster averted.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Glad to hear his love of his mate was stronger then his drive to go home.

Good ending and happy Mother's Day to the new mom! ;)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That's a nice story. Sure glad he came back in. Congrats on the new babies. Shows that they do bond with each other. Sad that people are always breaking up those bonds.:(

·
Registered
90 Posts
im glad it worked out ok. I have a similar story, in my prisoner loft(all of my breeders are prisoners) none of the birds are trained to return to my place nor for my trap. part of the front of my breeders loft is wire only and the wire somehow ended up with a hole and 16 breeders got out. I was out of town for the week working and my wife called to tell me that when she pulled in the drive she could see then birds on the ground near the door. after she panics and tried every thing she could to get them in, she called me and i told her to get my fishing pole and tie the line to the door, then i had her feed the remaining birds and from the outside pull the door open when the birds came near the door again and it worked. All 16 birds came back in. I fixed the prob and no escapes since. (most of those escapees had babies or eggs)

·
Registered
838 Posts
yes it works with my too. I moved to a new place and one time i opened the entrance door, one of the cock got out. So all i did was bring out his mate around a trap cage and the cock comes straight right in and I trapped.

Yes, i do believe that "LOVE" bond is stronger then home..

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
My best hen got out this morning. She's been here since 2008 and seemed pretty content just chilling on top of the breeder loft aviary. It probably helped that my young birds were out too. Regardless, I still freaked out and cried thinking she'd surely take off and go back to Virginia when she'd see the young birds take off and fly around. Nope. She ended up just sitting there preening and sleeping. :rolleyes: When I fed the breeders she perked up and tried to get inside to the food, so I threw some out on the floor of my individual cage building, shook the can, and she flew in. Whew. I don't think she was very happy to lose her freedom but now she's safe and sound back in her cage. I made my dad feel bad for nothing :p But maybe next time he'll double check the latches when feeding my birds for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts