Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Didn't have any choice his leg had been dislocated from the upper leg joint and there wasn't any circulation. The lower part had atraphied and turned black and hard as a rock. He could hop with it on there but it kept getting hung up and knocking him over, then it got caught in the cage floor wire and when he tried to break loose he tore open the vein and was gushing blood out. Luckily I had a suchere kit handy and my 85 year old Mom & Dad where visiting and helped me hold him down while I cut the stump off and got him all sewn back up. So far it's looking good, he's up on his perch this morning and he's eating and drinking. The wound looks good no red or sign of infections and the bone end looks smooth and stitches I put on him are holding just fine. I think he's going to be OK, and a lot better off with that dead stump out of the way, but an extra "good luck" or a little prayer for G61 couldn't hurt. I sure don't like doing that kind of stuff and I strongly recomend getting the bird to a vet unless it is absolutely an emergency and there just is no other way.

NAB :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thank goodness you were there when it happened, the poor pij could have bled to death.
I'm like Terry I don't envy you at all, but I'm glad you have the knowledge to do it.:)
Beautiful pij and we will be saying get well prayers.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Wishing G61 ALL THE BEST, Nab!!

He was, indeed, VERY fortunate that you were there, had help and able to take care of him!! A very lucky pigeon!

We are sending HEALING THOUGHTS with LOVE, HUGS and SCRITCHES!!

WELL DONE!!

Shi and the gang

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Great job Nab. You probably saved the pigeon’s life. There are times, when the situation is Life and Death and getting an injured animal to a vet just isn’t possible. This little G61 is fortunate that you have the” knowledge and skill level “to deal with such situations.
Hope you have some metacam.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Nab, great job! He looks terrific and though I'm sorry this happened, sometimes we do what we have to do.

Nab, we rescued a pigeon several years ago and the leg was in such bad shape the vet removed it at its body. She couldn't even leave a stump. This pigeon was a fledgling, just a few weeks old and initially could fly and maneuver around. However, as he grew older and gained weight, he simply couldn't fly. We had a time finding the right "accommodations" for our Silver from wire cages, plastic boxes, the aviary and nothing worked. He would beat on the sides with his wings so badly they bled often. Finally, we got a small, soft cat bed, lined it with towels, and put his food in with him. We couldn't put a water bowl in with him because of turning it over but it was no hardship to give him water several times a day. That little guy was happy as a frog in that bed which we sat on the fireplace in the family room so he could always be near us.

I just wanted to mention that to you. I know other members have one legged pigeons and I don't think they have had the same problems that we did.

Are your Mom and Dad still enjoying their two little dogs?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Nab,

You did a great job with this guy. As you described, there was no other choice and you jumped in and did what needed to be done. I'm sure glad you had the necessary supplies on hand. There is no doubt you saved his life. He is probably in much less pain with the amputation than he had with the dislocation. He is a lovely bird.

I'll definitely include him in my prayers.

Margaret

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sending...happy, healthy, healing thoughts!

I hope G61 continues to do well and has no problems.

I agree with some of the others. I'm very glad you were there and were able to make that choice. Not everyone can and sometimes vets are hard to get into. I could easily see, how it all could have gone very wrong.

Wishing the best!
Hilly

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
WOW:eek:. Great work, Dr. Nab! :D What a tough job, your parents must be real troopers to be able to help out (now we see where you get it from!). What a very lucky little pij. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers for a swift recovery and easy life. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
NAB - Glad everything went well, sending positive vibes to the pij for a fast recovery. My beloved George the Pij has a paralyzed leg, but gets around just fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts