Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
That is a very pretty mosaic :) Now there's one that can't be anything else. While ash-red cocks can have so much blue it looks mosaic, a bird can't just express dilute on one side without something funky going on.

I also like the half-sided pied, which I believe is not the same as mosaic. I have seen too many pied birds that just happen to have one white wing while the other has color. But that's just my opinion. A lot of breeds over there are bred to turn white when they are plucked a few times so they could easily (easy for them, not so easy on the bird :eek: ) turn them into whatever kind of crazy white pattern they want.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
That is a very pretty mosaic :) Now there's one that can't be anything else. While ash-red cocks can have so much blue it looks mosaic, a bird can't just express dilute on one side without something funky going on.

I also like the half-sided pied, which I believe is not the same as mosaic. I have seen too many pied birds that just happen to have one white wing while the other has color. But that's just my opinion. A lot of breeds over there are bred to turn white when they are plucked a few times so they could easily (easy for them, not so easy on the bird :eek: ) turn them into whatever kind of crazy white pattern they want.
I agree completely! The dilute ash red one is amazing, I guess there is a very minimal chance of some kind of weird mosaic half sider with pied on one side of the shield but highly unlikely.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Wouldn't that have to be recessive with the colored flights and tail and not ash? Anyways i wonder how halfsiders breed out. For the sake of discussion, if the bird was a male bred to a RY i wonder if you would get both yellows and reds, just reds or just yellows. Would one side be completely dominant over the other or what? If that was so i would assume it was the RR side because it has the tail, head, and a spot on the yellow side.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mitotic crossing-over or nondisjunction would be a valid explanation for this yellow/red halfsider too. Genetically this would need to be a male het dilute D+/d.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Wouldn't that have to be recessive with the colored flights and tail and not ash? Anyways i wonder how halfsiders breed out. For the sake of discussion, if the bird was a male bred to a RY i wonder if you would get both yellows and reds, just reds or just yellows. Would one side be completely dominant over the other or what? If that was so i would assume it was the RR side because it has the tail, head, and a spot on the yellow side.
Yeah your right, Oversight on my part. No Doubt it is reccesive red with dilution on one side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts