Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hand feeding a baby pigeon. Bit of context one of my pairs kept sitting on eggs and then not caring for the babies its happened multiple times. This time when the eggs hatched the same day I found one cold but alive not under the mother and the other dead, they won't look after them. This is my first time hand feeding a baby but have done loads of research mainly here, feeding kaytee with apple cider vinegar and apple sauce using the balloon syringe method. Checking now every 3 hours to see if the crops empty to feed again. The baby keeps crying for food for a good while after I feed her, the crop seems full with the bubbles on her back inflated but she keeps peeping and begging. Is this normal?? Shes pooping regularly and its a fairly solid consistency, not stinky, and brown sonetimes a bit green. Shes also 6 days old and her eyes still haven't opened. I've become very attached to her and am very nervous about losing her. Also any advice on when she'll be ready to not eat at night, the every 3 hour feedings are taking a toll on me haha.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought she was twisting her head strange but assumed it wasn't a concern but its gotten worse. She twists her head upside down to her right side and often flips upside down and gets stuck, peeping to be put rightside up. Her legs spread often because of her flipping over, shes on paper towels with a paper towel "donut" to stop her from flipping but still manages sometimes. I don't think its PMV because she doesn't have fits, no vomiting or runny eyes or laboured breathing and her poops healthy. What should I do? Should I splint her legs like you would a baby chicken? I emailed the big animal vet near me as I believe the regular vet won't see pigeons.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Do you have her on a heatpad? The paper towels might be too slippery, rather put her on a soft fleezy blanket. No need to add acv and apple sauce to the formula, only when she has problems digesting. Can you please post a photo?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced the paper towels with a small hand towel, I'll look for something fleecy. She takes a longer time than I read about to empty her crop so I started adding it, 3-4 hours pass after eating just formula and her crop is still mostly full.
Insect Terrestrial plant Moths and butterflies Wood Moth

Plant Finger Thumb Nail Terrestrial plant

This is how she usually positions herself.
Fawn Pest Snout Insect Foot

I find her upside down peeping to be put rightside up even with the donut walls.
Bird Food Plant Ingredient Cuisine

Even in normal position she usually has her head angled up.
Hopefully the photos turn up alright, I'm on mobile.
Insect Terrestrial plant Moths and butterflies Wood Moth
Plant Finger Thumb Nail Terrestrial plant
Fawn Pest Snout Insect Foot
Bird Food Plant Ingredient Cuisine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have her on a heatpad? The paper towels might be too slippery, rather put her on a soft fleezy blanket. No need to add acv and apple sauce to the formula, only when she has problems digesting. Can you please post a photo?
oh and yes shes on a heatpad

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
What temp is the heatpad? Needs to be 35 to 38 degrees Celsius. If not warm enough, the food won't digest. Formula must also be lukewarm and not too thick. I always let it stand for a couple of min after mixing with warm water as it thickens up and then you need to add a bit more water. For now, try to get the crop to empty completely. You can only give warmed up diluted baby applesauce throughout the day and very gently massage the crop after giving. Once the crop is completely empty, feed again and continue to add a bit of applesauce.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on the baby
Shes kept around 33-40 Celsius, shes on a fleezy blanket now. I feed her formula and applesauce and just applesauce usually once or twice a day if her crops not emptying. I reached out to a rescue that recommended selenium and vitamin E for her neck torsion and its working great along with her leg splint I made with a small hairband and a large bead separating the legs, shes hardly twisting her neck anymore. Heres a pic of her now :)
Bird Beak Organism Chicken Galliformes

·
Registered
906 Posts
I reached out to a rescue that recommended selenium and vitamin E for her neck torsion and its working great
That's interesting. How much and from what source(s)? I'm a bit surprised that the Kaytee formula isn't covering those. It has (processed) wheat, oats, soy, and flax which should supply both but perhaps the levels are marginally low.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's interesting. How much and from what source(s)? I'm a bit surprised that the Kaytee formula isn't covering those. It has (processed) wheat, oats, soy, and flax which should supply both but perhaps the levels are marginally low.
I purchased human softgel supplements and empty what I can out of a capsule of each (about half or more) into her formula mixed for the day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts