Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi chalkspot,

How have you been keeping them warm?

How old are they now? ( see http://www.speedpigeon.com/baby_racing_pigeon.htm )

What are the respective poops looking like, color, consistancy, size?

What have you been feeding them? ( details on ingredients, prep, impliments, and so on)

Do you allow them Water between meals?

Might help narrow it down...

Where are you?

Best wishes!

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here i will post a picture of them ive been feeding them nutri start instant formula i need to charge the battery on my camara i live in lancaster ca if there is anyone close by

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Talked to chalkshot on the phone and the location is Lancaster, CA. There might be a trip down to Lake Forest later.

Pidgey

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I've just left phone messages for both Firstimer and Fallenweeble asking them to pop in here and post the info for the pigeon savvy vet that they are using in case a vet is needed.

Chalkshot, thank you so much for taking on the rearing of these little ones. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. I am the one in Lake Forest.

I asked for the vet info because that vet will be much closer to you. Our members Firstimer and Fallenweeble are in the San Fernando Valley.

Terry

·
Registered
4,808 Posts

lets try that agian
Thanks for taking care of these babies. What is that under the pigeon on the right? There are only two of the babies, aren't there? I can't tell if that is feathers, or a very low and full crop, or another baby or what. Wish I was closer as I'm handfeeding some right now and could add these, but four and a half hours is a bit far to drive I'm sure. You probably know, you should let their crops empty almost completely before feeding again.

Is the littlest one getting as much to eat as the other one? Is her appetite good or do you have to "force feed" her?

How does her crop feel? Is it soft and squishy or hard inside?

Try separating them for an hour or so and see what her poops look like.

These questions should help us know a bit more. Keep checking back.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi Chalkshot,

You would be best to have them on a White Towell, with heat under the Towell...and in a Draped Cage so no moving Air can steal the warmth. even have a small Box on it's side, draped, and just use that since the warth will stay in better than in a tall cage.

You need to be able to be continually evaluating the poops and Urates, and those 'wood shavings' will not let you see, count and evaluate poops and Urates.

Please let us know what we are seeing there in the image which looks like a severely herniated Crop with the one on the right...

Left one - you need to determine if his Crop has been emptying, and, one way to gauge this is to be able to see how many poops he is making vis-a-vie how much you have been feeding.

Food/formula needs to be "Body Temperature"...and not ( never ) 'microwaved' or made hasty with 'hot' Tap Water...it needs to be made, allowed to thoroughly hydrate, and then be wared in a cup, in a pan of heated Water. Formula needs to be about the consistancy of melted Ice Cream on a hot day...and, Babys heed plain water several times usually between formla meals as well.

If they get chilled, the food in their Crops can spoil because their system slows down, and this can make serious problems.

"chilled" means, if they are less than your own body temp through and through, and really, they need to be around 103 through and through.

Open Cages with little heat in the bottom are at best, not going to make it usually, especially this time of year.

Anyway...

Drape the Cage, get rid of the 'shavings' and have a Heating Pad in the Cage Bottom, with a White Towell over it...and set it to where if you press your wrist against it firmly, against the Towell, it is JUST a little warmer than the underside of your wrist.

Allow the tepid Water at least twice between meals...

Let us know what the poops are looking like for both, as well as what is going on with both their Crops..?

How are you feeding them?

Best wishes!

Phil
l v

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the one on the right just got fed

the little one isnt doing well at all she is puking up her food.

Ive raised baby birds before and i know about feeding them and ive been having to force feed her now im taking her to an emergency vet in 20 minutes

1 - 20 of 26 Posts