Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wild pigeon who is almost out of quarrentine. It cannot fly and most likely not be able to be released. It has gone to the vet and is on Albon for coccidia. Its wing is wrapped but was broken so badly that the vet thought it best if I just keep it and let it live in my home with my other critters. I have parrots, a dove and a rabbit among other critters.

I'm not sure how to set up an area for a pigeon who is handicapped. I could set up an area like my rabbit has. A pen with no top, or I could set up a bird cage like my parrots. I keep thinking that if may be happier if it had a large pen set up with low perches and platforms, since it cannot fly. My dove has no cage and free flys around my home but usually stays in the critter room inside the rabbit pen or sits atop one of the parrot cages. The rabbit and dove are great buddies. Depending on how it goes I may even leave the pigeon loose like my dove. If it stays in a certain spot most of the day like my dove does. I am hoping that the dove and pigeon will get along since they are the only birds in the house who are not parrots. I really don't know what to expect since I don't have any experience with pigeons.

Does anyone have handicapped pigeons who live inside their home? If so, how is the area where it lives set up. I would love some ideas so I can have a place set up for it when it comes out of quarrentine. We are just waiting for the coccidia test to be negative. I will find out if the Albon has worked on Friday.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Claudia

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have a handicap pigeon. She just likes being in her cage, she can get out if she wants to but she usually doesn't. She has a mate that doesn't like her to live her cage if she does, she gets a lashing. Men!! She is the sweetest, only has one eye, 1 1/2 wings and walks really bad. I think you just have to test out what works for you and the pigeon. Glad you decided to keep the pigeon you won't regret it. Mine has a cat bed that she likes to lay in. min

·
Registered
316 Posts
Beanie is a handicap pigeon. She can't fly or walk properly. She has a basket where she's tucked in for the nights. During the day, she gets to roam around the house if she wants to. But we have also set up a little corner for her to rest and eat. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info from you both. Thank you! I am glad to know that pigeons like to stay in their own area most of the day. I don't mind if she walks around the house. I was just not sure if I would have to hunt her down everytime I had to find her.

She has a sleep cage now that is in the house away from the other birds. I take her outside during the day to an outside aviary that is not in use. She is alone out there all day because of quarrentine. Then I bring her back into her sleep cage at night.

After her quarrentine I will just put her sleep cage into the critter room on the floor and open the cage door. She can come out when she wants too. She won't be lonely in there and hopefully she will stay around her cage because that is what she is used to.

I'll let you know how it works out. I have another vet appointment for her on Friday. If she is coccidia free I can let her in with the rest of my crew.

Claudia

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I have an indoor handicapped pigeon, Webby, who has a crooked leg, two toes webbed together, and can't fly at all above a foot, if that. He has been living on top of my parrot's cage with an area set up for him while the parrots have their own hang out on top of the parakeet's cage. :rolleyes: He hangs out there all the time and at night for awhile I would put him in his own cage but it was pointless as he doesn't go anywhere. He cruises around on the floor a bit if I put him down but doesn't like to walk much so prefers his look-out platform with his food, water, bath, pillow to sit on, and window to watch the outside cats and pigeons. :p

Just last night I brought him in an older, half-blind female I have, Buddy (who lived inside last winter with her mate who has since passed away). She can fly but is more of a couch potato and so I set her up with her own area while they get used to each other and just now I put Webby down on the floor with her and they are walking around a little bit. Hopefully they will like each other. You might try the rabbit-like pen with some low platforms and even plastic ramps. Good luck!

Keep an eye on your pigeon around the other animals, especially the dove and your parrots. They reach an age where--especially males--they want to bully everything else around. Webby was very nice at first to the parrots and now he can't get on their area as he wasn't being that nice after awhile. They don't live in their cage generally (I don't shut it)but hang out around the room so they stay away from him. But I've had a dove killed by a pigeon before so even if your pigeon is very nice, just watch all their interactions at first as I'm sure you would. I've also had other pigeons who pay no attention to my parrots and doves or are friendly as can be around them. So it just depends on the attitude of the pigeon. :)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Claudia,
I have 20-ish pigeons and 10-ish doves (their number changes) that I keep in large cages. All birds are to some extent handycapped and they live happy life. If your pigeon cannot fly, dove and other birds cannot be hurt. Pigeons are not agressive towards smaller birds but they are teritorrial. One of my pigeons was attracted to my pet rabbit Toppy and he was preening her, cooing and flirting.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
They still need a top on the cage because they climb the sides. I have many handicap birds. Mostly blind birds though. i have mine in the solid bottom cages you buy at a pet store and the top opens. I have no perches in there but a piece of wood built like a little bench. They love it. They get out to play in my kitchen and interact with us humans. Too many times I have seen handicap birds puit down because the vets say they won't be happy. Mine are all happy and they are all healthy and just fine. Good Luck with your little guy and hope everything goes well :)

Cindy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to thank everyone for their great ideas on helping my handicapped pigeon. I can't wait to see how everything unfolds in my critter room when I can let her in there. I will be sure and watch to make sure no one is being bullied.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Claudia

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
If your pigeon cannot fly, dove and other birds cannot be hurt. Pigeons are not agressive towards smaller birds but they are teritorrial.
While this is true for the most part, you just need to be careful because each individual pigeon is different. Speaking from personal experience, I remember years ago when my wonderful sweet pet pigeon Gonzo, who had a female dove for his first mate and seemed to LOVE doves, later attacked and killed two doves at different times, and nearly two more who barely recovered. :eek: This was especially surprising to me as a novice pigeon/dove owner then, as he loved his female dove mate very much and was always nice to her.

It doesn't matter if your pigeon cannot fly. If he wants to, and gets your dove cornered, he can hurt or kill it. Again, this likely WON'T happen but just keep an eye on them just in case. Later on I've had other male pigeons go after doves because as you said Plamenh, they can be territorial.

Even Webby, a young and seemingly nice little fellow, goes after my parrots if they come near his "area". Again, this is like Plamenh said, and a territory thing. The other birds quickly learn to stay away from the pigeon's area, but need close supervision at first.

Of course they can also fall in love with other critters, I've had doves who loved button quail (through the cage bars lol), a dove who loved a chinchilla, pigeons who loved my dog, my cats, a pigeon who loved a chukar partridge, and a chukar partridge who loved a bunny! And my favorite couple, a pet rat and a feral three-month-old kitten I was fostering who fell in love with each other and slept together, played together, and washed each other. :D

So I'm sure everything will run like clockwork around you Dr. Doolittle house, and you shouldn't worry, but just keep an eye at first on everyone "mingling". :p And please share some pictures with us!

I also wanted to mention to use a very shallow bath pan, as the more crippled pigeons can't get out of a bath dish well. Or, use a big cat litter pan with a half-brick or similar "boost" to get in and out--one inside, and one outside, or small plastic ramps such as are used in guinea pig cages. My pigeon Webby struggles even getting out of a pie dish and needs help, and it is only an inch or so high. Also, he has trouble drinking or eating out of dishes that aren't very low, as he cannot hop up onto the rim of them to drink or eat. I actually use a low cardboard box, such as a case of water bottles comes in, and change the lining in it each day. That way he can hop in and have a bunch of seeds all around him to choose from.

You can also get your pigeon some toys such as small stuffed animals, or koosh balls, or tennis balls, plastic cat balls with bells in them, etc. Have fun!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes I agree with MaryJane. Every pigeon is different and reacts diffrently to others as well. I have a feral that was raised together with a baby quail. They still just love each other although sometimes the feral wants to get fancy with the quail. ha ha On the other hand I have a hanicapped dove that he tried to kill twice so I have to be very careful when I let everyone out to play in the house. You just never know. I think it's always best to keep a close eye and keep each species separate if possible, however sometimes you just have to put them together for social enrichment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts