Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In August I took on 2 baby pigeons from a nest that was knocked down. They both survived and were released. Unfortunatly Jasper was a little to fond of the dogs and the dogs were a little to eager to taste him :( Pearlie was smart enough to stay away from other animals and is a great outside pet. She has become part of the pigeon family outside (her 2 parents) and regularly visits with the pigeons in the neighbours barn, lives happily in the shed outside. She comes up to the house daily and hangs out on my back deck, and when I am outside she follows me around everywhere.
Recently she's started beating on me. She comes in the house to have a bird bath in the sink and now when I get close to her she will make her pigeon sound then puff up and run at my hands, pecking them, and grabbing onto my sweater and shaking it while making her pigeon sounds. If I move away too much she will hit me with her wings. What is she doing?!
Any advice into this would be great, I can't find anything online.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Pearlie is going through the pigeon version of the human teenager stage. They all go through it. Pigeon don't seem to associate the hand with the human and see the hand as a separate entity. Some pigeons have a similar reaction to bare, human feet.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
LOL...don't feel that way...she still loves you. She may or may not get over it. It may get better though, as she gets older.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Try offering her treat with you hand. Maybe that will help.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
LOL. As they grow, it is their way of moving away and becoming more independent. Now you will have to bribe her with treats to win her over. Once they grow up, the relationship is very much on their terms. Not ours.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! I am going to give her lots of treats and make her like me again ha ha, silly bird. I always hated pigeons, they poop on all my stuff and make such a mess, but when you get to know them they really are great little birds!

·
Registered
790 Posts
All the pecking and wing slapping is a sign that the bird is not afraid of you and wants your attention, probably wants to play or want some food. Giving treats would help with your existing relationship with the bird.

Sorry to hear the other one suffered a bad faith with the dogs.

·
Registered
466 Posts
What you descibe is what Kiko (my male) started doing at that age. Kiko and Kalani (female) are about a month older than yours it sounds like. Kiko is far more vocal and likes to stretch his neck and puff up, do wing slaps and peck (and twist!) with his beak. Kalani would rather shy away than actually start fussing with me. She only pecks and wing slaps when she get defensive about something, but never stretches her neck and puffs up like Kiko does. Also, only Kiko chases my feet and pecks at my toes. He even started trying to mate with my feet!:eek: Does your baby fan and drag its tail feathers? If so, you might have a male.

When I get close to Kiko's shelf (he lives indoors in what used to be my china hutch, now his and Kalani's condo) he does this like a defensive move but he also seeks me out (even if I am in a different room) and does the same in more of a I'm bored please play with me move. If she lands on your shoulder, beware, she may peck your neck and face and that really hurts. Kiko takes great pleasure in that. Ouch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.