Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
That is very sad, very disturbing. I do agree with much of what their saying, are they PETA affiliated? I think most people can watch a video like that then go away and eat a chicken or an egg and not consider where it came from.
Someone posted PETAs meet your meat video on here some time ago- when discussing using pigeons as meat- that was when it dawned on me that the chicken on my plate was the chicken at the farm and I haven't been able to eat anything animal based since then. I think alot of people have the ability to completely detach themselves, the rest of my family saw the same video as I did only it didn't effect them in the same way, I suppose it depends on the person and their individual morals.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I don't condemn hunters, but I want them to eat what they kill. I came across about 50 candian geese last year and the only thing they took off of them is the breast meat and then they tossed them on the edge of this water canal. Couldn't even dispose of them properly. I also know hunters that just kill the geese just to get a band off them so they can make a necklace. NOW THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS!! I made a big stink and he did lose his hunting license for several years, but he has them back this year. I just feel sorry for all the animals. But I would have to say I'm one of those hyprocrites, unfortunately, I blame my parents, I have tried several times to quit eating meat. If I had to kill for my own food then I know I could not kill them and then I would be a vegetarian. But its already dead in the stores. I'm sorry to say.

Fbirdie82: I love the work that you do. you go girl!! min

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did not watch it as I have seen enough of them to invision it. I used to be a hunter. I always ate all of what I shot. I was hungry and I fed my family this way. I no longer hunt but don't mind people who do as long as they eat what they shot.

I do like meat eggs and milk. I am always looking for products that came from humainly treated animals. I buy what I call "happy chicken eggs", happy animal meat. It always costs more, but I am no longer hungry and can afford to buy it. It is hard to find and I'm never sure if I am being taken, but I do it anyway. I justify it by thinking that the animal would not have been born if it were not going to be eaten. It was bred and born as food. Maybe a short happy life and being humainly treated is better than never being born at all. I am always surprised how many people think that I am spending too much and thinking about the treatment too much. That I have too much empathy. Maybe I do but it makes me feel better.

Claudia

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sad video. I watched the first one. I respect both vegitarians and meat eaters out there. I myself am somewhere in the middle. I eat meat, but because I am a bit a bird lover I refuse poltry. Any way, there has to be a more humane way to raise poltry than they are doing in the first video. I never knew they killed the males. Thank you for illuminating that for me. just another reason for me to keep not eating chicken.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have NINE ROOSTERS. With only 11 hens. I would never kill my roosters, but my life is not easy with them. I let 6 of them run free and they all go to there own little dog house that is in a pen for there safety at night. To get to all of them to go in there own dog houses was not easy, it was a lot of work. Well it wasn't that hard, about a week of going out there right at dusk to show them where I wanted them. It was such a joy to see everyone in there homes. Out of 9 chicks last year 7 of them were roosters. Why couldn't 7 be hens!!! I have one rooster that I bring inside when it gets cold because he is really old like 9 years old. Poor guy, he has a mate that doesn't have any feathers, born that way, so she comes inside also. It is sad that the males get "trashed". As long as you don't give them hens they will get along with one another once someone is the "Chief". min

·
Registered
508 Posts
yeah, we can't keep roosters anymore in dallas, but we still have 3 hens. ofcourse, they are just pets.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Columbia, if you keep you rooster locked up in the dark until a reasonable hour of the morning, you could probably keep one. Just a thought. That is what a friend of mine does that lives in town. He catches him everynight, takes him in the garage in a dog crate and covers it up and then lets him come out at around 9:00 am. And when he takes a vacation, the rooster comes to my house and I rooster sit. min

·
Registered
508 Posts
yeah, but I don't really wan't one any way .:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Most people don't, thats why they go in the trash, so sad. I would have to say I wouldn't have 9 roosters if I had to go buy them. But since they hatch from my loft they are keepers. lets just say, I don't allow any babies anymore. I'll go buy them first. Because I CAN'T have anymore rooster. They live probably twice as long as my hens do.

·
Registered
508 Posts
im sorry to hear that.:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is why Im very proud to work for Chipotle Mexican Grill.

Check out what I mean. I'm sure some of you may already know about us. This is a little bit about our "Food With Integrity" This is fron our site.

The hallmarks of Food With Integrity include things like unprocessed, seasonal, family-farmed, sustainable, nutritious, naturally raised, added hormone free, organic, and artisanal. And, since embracing this philosophy, it's had tremendous impact on how we run our restaurants and our business. It's led us to serve more naturally raised meat than any other restaurant in the country, to push for more sustainable practices in produce farming, and to work with dairy suppliers to eliminate the use of added hormones from their operations.

http://www.chipotle.com click on the FWI link on the left.

We were also featured on Nightline http://www.chipotle.com/video/nightline.html

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
This is why Im very proud to work for Chipotle Mexican Grill.

Check out what I mean. I'm sure some of you may already know about us. This is a little bit about our "Food With Integrity" This is fron our site.

The hallmarks of Food With Integrity include things like unprocessed, seasonal, family-farmed, sustainable, nutritious, naturally raised, added hormone free, organic, and artisanal. And, since embracing this philosophy, it's had tremendous impact on how we run our restaurants and our business. It's led us to serve more naturally raised meat than any other restaurant in the country, to push for more sustainable practices in produce farming, and to work with dairy suppliers to eliminate the use of added hormones from their operations.

http://www.chipotle.com click on the FWI link on the left.

We were also featured on Nightline http://www.chipotle.com/video/nightline.html
very cool, wish this place was in my town!:) but I guess we all could do this in our own kitchens...people would be surprised how great it is buying local.....

G

·
taking a college course really changes a person doesnt it :rolleyes: these practices have been going on for a lifetime and a half , I dont see it ever changing the outcome .. you either eat them or you dont ,its a personal choice of what you chose to ignore to exist in the cruel world that we call home .

p.s. if I was a wolf I would eat you too ..lol :p

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
taking a college course really changes a person doesnt it :rolleyes: these practices have been going on for a lifetime and a half , I dont see it ever changing the outcome .. you either eat them or you dont ,its a personal choice of what you chose to ignore to exist in the cruel world that we call home .

p.s. if I was a wolf I would eat you too ..lol :p
I don't think modern practices of keeping food animals has been going for a lifetime, in the old west cattle were kept on open land maintained by the cowboys, they were grazed, not kept in small pens, fed pellets . If I did buy beef, I would rather it come from a small farmer with open pasture land where they graze and have a better life IMO, same with the poultry, that is how it was in days past, before all these meat/egg industries came about. of course you do not know about the persons farm except what they post, unless you go visit the farm, which could be done if your going local. I think alot of folks may ignore where their meat comes from, but I think also people just don't think about it at all. so the info should be out there at least so people will know and can make a choice...I do not believe in putting my choices on to others, there is no way the whole world is going to stop eating meat, so at least we can do it in a way that is humane and natural as possible, and one way is to buy local! not from the big meat industry..they need to appeal to their buyers so perhaps they can change some practices and in return sell more meat! here is a link, if folks want to get started buy local. http://www.localharvest.org/

·
Registered
822 Posts
I incubated six chicken eggs in an incubator this year, only one hatched and lucky me got a rooster... so I have one crowing-at-stupid-o-clock rooster in my garden, we love him too much to give him away though so one rooster and maybe chickens next year! :rolleyes:

Just finished watching the videos, and would like to mention that going vegan is not the answer.
I completely agree that veganism isn't the only answer- theres alot more reasonable things to ask of people than diving into something so serious, but it is an answer. It is possible to get everything you need from a plant based diet- I do so and have been doing so for 17 years with no ill effects.

I am not against eating animals and do think that we are probably supposed to eat meat like you said but I do not think that our food should have to suffer for this to happen. If I could- and I know I couldn't- catch my own food, kill and prepare it myself, then I would eat it. But I can't so until such a time....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.