Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been caring for two abandoned baby pigeons. They are now about 3 weeks old and feed by themselves. Tiny boils have developed around their face area and feet. One boil ruptured today morning and was bleeding. I want to help them and there's no vet close by. Any suggestions ?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for caring for these abandoned babies.

Could you post a picture of the boils? This could be any number of things but we may be able to identify it from a picture.

Have you looked down the throat to see if there any lesions there?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I didn't send the pictures earlier but I took them to a vet on 28th March and they were put up on terramycin, vitamin supplement, glucose and betnesol. They are ailing from pigeon pox and I guess its the dry and wet variety. The vet did not express any hopes of the pigeons surviving and one of them passed away on 5th April. The other one is putting up a good fight and I hope and pray atleast he pulls through. He has stopped eating on his own and we are feeding him dropping grains by opening his beak. He flies around a bit but most of the times is resting. I guess he is having trouble breathing from his nose as his beak remains slightly opened. His energy levels appear okay as he puts up a fight when we try to hold him. We are all involved in saving this baby (must be 5 weeks old now) - my wife, son and me. Is there anything more we could do to help him ? We don't want to loose him also.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm so sorry the one baby died, I hope and pray the other little one will make it.

For supportive care, you should make sure he is kept warm and out of drafts of air.

If it is pox the bird should be able to get thru it, but I suspect there is more going on, like a respiratory infection and more. What does the poop look like? Does the bird show any other symptoms?

If you are feeding him dry grain,make sure to give him a good pigeon mix, and make sure he is eating about a tablespoon every three or four hours. Then make sure he drinks afterward. IF he is not drinking on his own you need to soak and drain the seed for ten minutes and then feed, replace with a new batch with each feeding.

I would add some probiotics to the seed to help with uptake of nutrients. I would also give a garlic (soft gel cap) down the throat with a drop of Neem every day, if the bird doesn't have an upset stomach. You can use colloidal silver (Sovereign Silver-brand) topically to dry out the lesions, and it is also works well as an anti-infective. You can put a drop down the throat.

I'm not sure about the medication you are giving the bird, except the terramycin, which is used for respiratory. I think a concentrate of both aureomycin and tylan works better for respiratory ailments.

Where are you located?... perhaps we can find some additional help for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the advise. It is pigeon pox as indicated by the vet also. Pls follow the link at the bottom (or paste the address in your web browser) for pictures of the the pigeon who died and who was also suffering from the same ailment. Let me know what you think of it.

The surviving pigeon is doing pretty well, energy levels are good as is apparent from the fight that he puts up when we try to hold him. He also flies around a bit. His present symtoms are as follows :
1. The pox growth appears to have stopped. Additional swelling's have not appeared and the ones present are turning black except for a big one around his left eye which has in fact covered the entire eye. I am worried about this particular swelling.
2. His beak remains slightly open and it appears he has difficulty in breathing.
3. He has a tiny swelling inside his lower beak and one in the throat region. This could be the reason why he has stopped eating on his own. He is unable to pick grain.
4. His poop is dark green in colour. Does he have a stomach problem ?

Will try out the medication suggested by you. Have discontinued terramycin since the last 4 days. For how long can one give anti-biotics ? Can I try out erythromycin ? In what way will the neem and garlic help ?

I am located at Mumbai, India.

The following link will provide pictures :

http://picasaweb.google.com/1gurbaksh/pij

1 - 5 of 5 Posts