Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Good luck i hope you find him I would put flyers up at grocery stores and stuff if I were you. Anyplace local that will let you place them offer a reward and put he is a childs family pet and someone will call you.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good luck i hope you find him I would put flyers up at grocery stores and stuff if I were you. Anyplace local that will let you place them offer a reward and put he is a childs family pet and someone will call you.
Thanks, I've printed flyers and posted them in my neighborhood and left them with different people. Somebody has taken them down 3 times in a row. So I strongly believe either my dog is nearby or somebody in my apartment complex knows where she is.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's sad, that's why i trust no one
Yeah, there's some people you can trust and others you can't.

The guy who agreed to care for my dog seemed so sincere but as it turns out that certainly isn't the case.

He won't even let me contact the people who have my dog.

I think if they knew the truth, they probably wouldn't want to keep her anymore.

HBO did a documentary called One Nation Under Dog which was one of the most talked about films at the Trebeca film festival.

I watched it today and I have to be honest it's sad but was done very well.

I cried during certain scenes especially in the closing credits when they showed a clip of a couple beagles in a shelter, mostly because they reminded me of my dog who I am determined to find.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I certainly hope and pray that your dog is found, and I have no doubt you will find him with your continued determination and efforts.

Have you posted your video on fb??

If you can also get the local news media to do a story that would also give you more exposure.

Good luck and I pray your lost pup is found.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I wish I could say the same but she's not a lost pet. The person who was supposed to be taking care of her, knew good and well that I was coming back for her decided to use her as way of making easy money.

Since I didn't sign a contract allowing him to adopt her out, the whole transaction was unauthorized.

That being said, it looks like the only way I'll be able to get her back is by going to small claims court. This would be something I can easily avoid if the guy would just give me my dog back.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Good to see you back, BirdDogg10, but not necessarily under these circumstances.

Don't assume that you didn't have a contract with the guy, not necessarily one allowing him to dispose of your dog. Assume that you did have a contract, an oral contract.

Legally, only certain contracts have to be in written form. For example, in most jurisdictions, contracts involving real estate, real property, have to be in writing. When you go into a restaurant or cafe and place an order for food or drink, you have a contract, even though there may be nothing in writing.

Was there any exchange of money, or any other form of consideration, with the guy who was to take care of your dog? In other words, if he was doing you a favor, was there anything you were doing for him in return? Did he ask for any compensation, monetary or otherwise? If not, perhaps he was acting under false pretenses, offering to care for your dog so that he could steal it from you and sell it to someone else. Perhaps he gave it to someone else, perhaps he profited from the transaction.

Write down the details of your agreement with the guy, and check with a lawyer if you know one.

Maybe file a police report. I'm not an expert on this, and don't know all the details, but it might help.

Take some quick legal action. Too much delay might give some people (the ones who may be able to help you) the impression that it's not such an urgent matter with you.

(The video was a bit difficult to watch, since I had to pause and "re-wind" several times).

Hope you get your beagle Rudy back.

Larry

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tips, I do plan to talk with a lawyer.

As for a contract, the only thing that was filled out was just some paperwork about my dog's behavior, her habits and such. As for compensation, the only thing the guy asked for was to cover her expenses such as food, which is what I did.

I've repeatedy asked for the paperwork that was filled out but all requests have been denied, which probably means he's hiding something and might have forged a signature which is a felony. Also, handling stolen property and grand theft is also a crime. Pets and livestock qualify for this.

I also noticed there's been a recent increase of missing and stolen dogs in my area. Two dogs I found listed are beagles like mine.

Since I don't have the financial means to hire a lawyer or pay for court fees I started an online fundraiser:
http://www.indiegogo.com/finding-rudy?a=830615

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm so sorry for what has happened. I don't think I'd have brought him to a shelter to be kept. There must be others working there as well and maybe somehow they got their wires crossed about not adopting him out. Also, in todays economy, there are probably many people bringing their dogs to shelters and saying that they will be back for them, and they never go back for the dog. Maybe they thought this to be the case. How long was he in the shelter? Did you have anything in writing about them not letting him go up for adoption? If not, then I think it would be your word against theirs, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are other people who work there but the manager knew good and well, I had planned to come back I even spoke with him face-to-face for half an hour. I've found this person to be very dishonest. My dog was there for a month but I went by there on regular basis to drop of food, make other donations and to visit her.

As for an agreement not to put her up for adoption, he did give some paperwork asking about my dog's habits, behavior, etc... I didn't sign her over to be adopted out. All requests for said paperwork have been denied repeatedly. He won't let me contact the people who have my dog either. I spoke with one person from a different dog rescue group and she agreed that I wasn't asking too much in regards to the paperwork. Her group has actually kept dogs for up to six months until the owners came back.

Also, even when an owner once an owner reclaims a pet, that dog or cat cannot be adopted out or put to sleep. The owners are given a 48-72 grace period to pick up their pet and usually pay a fee of sort.

I did some digging and this place isn't all that it seems, in fact I strongly believe that this is what they're doing, see articles below:

Dog Flipping on the Rise

http://www.wmctv.com/story/17214983/experts-warn-dog-flipping-on-the-rise

Dog flipping

http://voices.yahoo.com/craigslist-crazy-online-world-pet-shop-dog-7806502.html?cat=53

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I would say if you have the dogs registration papers then the shelter had no legal right whatsoever to dispose of the dog to another person.
Also, they should be keeping records in any case so from a legal point of view they really shouldnt have a leg to stand on.
Do yu have any friends who are in the legal profession that may be able to give you advice, or even perhaps pay the shelter a visit hinting at possible legal action. Sometimes that may be enough as they may not want a "can of worms" opened. ;)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I wouldn't send you a dime. Several months ago you posted this same problem, maybe it was even a year ago. Something seems fishy here.:rolleyes:
Since it seems to bother you so much, maybe you should check back the posts,
Yes this was originally posted in Feb, but from what I can see, is still an ongoing task, and has prob been re-posted just to remind folk and maybe even jog someones memory on the off chance.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I'm sure BD could do with some support rather than try to put them down with your views.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Don't think having the registration papers would matter. I'm sure many people probably turn in their dogs without registration papers. But I would think that the shelter or whatever would have to have you sign something as proof that you did actually turn the dog over to them. So they should have that. If they don't, then that could be on your side.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts