Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I haven't been around for awhile, I've been really busy with our rescue and such, but I've been lurking! Just not posting.

Our pigeons are doing well! The flock consists of Luna (feral) paired with Snowy (disabled feral), Koosh (helmet cross) paired with Icky (Fantail), Rooster (feral) paired with Isis (disabled feral), Luna and Snowy's Oops baby (needs a name), and Bubbles (feral missing foot from burn) who is currently single.

We recently had two banded pigeons transferred to us from the Humane Society. Their owners had been tracked down but they were no longer wanted :( . One has a slight shoulder injury, the other is fine. They're both gorgeous and much smaller then the ferals!

They're both currently being quarantined but I'm sure they'll be nice additions to the flock! I think I'll put one up for adoption (though I doubt he'll ever be adopted) because he's in good shape and desirable, at least more so then the disabled ferals, and if I can keep space available for those guys that's the best thing.

Here are some pictures of the new guys!

I have a question though...

My pigeon enclosure is 10'x6'x6'. They seem pretty happy but I'm starting to feel bad for the ones that can actually fly. Should I risk letting the five that can fly out for a flight in the evening (and locking up the disabled/fancies) or are they okay for now in this size of enclosure? The thought of one of them not coming back or getting killed by a predator is devastating for me but I'd rather they be happy. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Good to hear from you, and glad to see all are happy at your home. Those two new ones are gorgeous. If I counted right you have eight now in the aviary? I think they're just fine where they are. Many of mine came from being "fliers" and adapted to the aviary fine. I don't think letting just five of them out is enough of a flock to protect them, anyway, so you'd be on the safe side in more than one way by keeping them in. Just my opinion from personal experience. :)

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
They are fine locked up. If you let them out, they'll just wind up back on the street again. That second bird isn't a homer. Not sure what breed it is. Maybe a high flyer of some sort. Don't worry about them not flying. The only way they'll have be free to fly again is if they go home and obviously, that isn't an option. Just take care of them and enjoy them and put them up for adoption if you need to.
They're both gorgeous birds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts