Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
They can. They will often predate mice, and may leave pigeons alone. However, if pigeons are in a vulnerable position and flap around in panic or try wingslapping a rat, the rat is quite likely to go on the attack.

You need strong aviary mesh (aka hardware cloth) on the walls and floor and blocking any potential gaps, and obviously the holes fixing up.

Also can try humane rat traps (so they can be relocated) near the holes, outside.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rats

Thanks John, I found one adult pigeon dead today, but no marks on it. . we have tried box traps and now have regular rat traps in there with baskets over them, no luck catching any of them. we even put a game camera in there to try and see to make sure they are rats and can't get a picture of them. after we couldn't catch any we sealed the holes. so now they have chewed 2 new holes. the next step is those sticky traps but I hate to use them because they are so inhumane. we have baited with peanut butter and now ham. I have 3 pens all built the same way and they are only coming in one of them. very frustrating. thanks for listening. :-/

·
Registered
816 Posts
mice and rat droppings will also make pigeons very ill and possibly kill them.Repair the holes and leave a clean free from food loft at all times.The rats are only there because they are attracted by food or a dirty loft.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Trapping

Buy the hav-a-hart traps and use sun flower seed or penuts. The only place to relocate a rat is at the local land fill.
Dave
Peanut butter will work on a slice of bread if replaced daily to keep it smelly fresh. It did not take me long to get rid of this one, I seen the signs of digging and knew right away what it it was. Thank somebody it was the only one to date. >Kevin

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Hi does anyone know if rats will kill pigeons? This is the first time I have had a problem with rats. I have several holes chewed into the shed and can't catch any any suggestions. thanks
I lost half (27) my birds to Norway (brown) rats in one night!!!!!!
They chewed thru chicken wire at the top of the loft.
Rats will MOST CERTAINLY go after pigeons! They masqueraded my birds!
1/2 inch wire mesh all around and on top, and a sturdy floor - NO GAPS. I've seen them chew "knots" out of a wood floor to gain entry!
I tried have-a-heart traps. I caught 1 baby, and 'dad' was running around the trap trying to figure out how to rescue screaming baby. Never caught another one....their too smart! YOU NEED TO SECURE YOUR LOFT OR THEY WILL KILL ALL YOUR BIRDS!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Please ... What ever you do do it fast before you start to lose birds. It is your moral duty to protect them while in your care. There are companies that will do it for you if you can't. i.e making coop rat proof & / or disposeing of Predators.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I just asked a simple question. I never heard of anyone doing that before..

Why would I give a crap what he does with them? If he feels like relocating them, then go ahead. I just wasnt sure if he was joking or not.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Why would I give a crap what he does with them? If he feels like relocating them, then go ahead. I just wasnt sure if he was joking or not.
I agree. What's the big deal with asking a question?

FWIW I don't think I've ever heard of anybody relocating rats, either.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts

I agree. What's the big deal with asking a question?

FWIW I don't think I've ever heard of anybody relocating rats, either.
I dont think John was replying to your particular post.
There was another post (now deleted) which gave details that contravined the forums rules that John posted the link to.

It is up to the individual how they catch and rid their loft of rats, but any lethal ways should not be discussed on the forum.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Clear

Thanks Quazar ... I should have made it more clear
YES, you had me re-reading everything to see if I had said something wrong LOL. I use live traps for everything and (YES) I re-locate all of them, even the mice. If you watch your loft carefully you can see the signs before things get out of control, if you catch it early you won't lose any birds. The picture of the rat I posted earlier never harmed anything, he actually never got into the loft but I am sure being only one it would not have been a problem until a mate arrived.
I just had a thought as to why people would choose other means of getting rid of pesky animals, I roughly added up the cost of the traps I own and it came to a little over 200$, my after thought is, some people can only afford 3$ for poison and really don't care what they kill in the interim>Kevin

·
Registered
241 Posts
I dont think John was replying to your particular post.
There was another post (now deleted) which gave details that contravined the forums rules that John posted the link to.

It is up to the individual how they catch and rid their loft of rats, but any lethal ways should not be discussed on the forum.
Ah ok, I was wondering what the deal was.. My bad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts