Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I came home from school and immediately checked to see if my young pigeons were home yet. They've only been flying for about 1 week and a half yet they are venturing far out. Anyways, since they weren't inside, I decided to take a stroll and perhaps see if I could spot my two pigeons flying around. However, since I didn't see them, I came back home. But! Just as I opened the door to my house, a saw a hawk spiraling overhead. I decided to go see if my pigeons were in yet but no such luck. By this time, the hawk had disappeared. Fearing the worst, I grabbed a rock and patrolled the neighborhood, hoping to scare away the hawk if it was my pigeons he was after. I was returning home after a long walk, convinced they were safe, when my two pigeons, one white one black and white, swooped in front of me, a hawk on their tail. I was screaming and yelling yet the hawk took no notice and instead grabbed my black and white pigeon. I was convinced my pigeon was dead, and after searching EVERYWHERE for three hours, I still could not find him. My heart like a stone, I walked home, where my white pigeon had already arrived, scared to death. Later that night, at around 9:30, I happened to look out the window, and saw my pigeon sitting on top of the loft!

Okay, well, long story short, my pigeon is rather injured. He has a few talon marks on his leg, but my main concern is his wing. It's drooping considerably, dragging along, yet he can still fly moderately well, yet a little unstable. Which means he didn't break it right? What should I do to help heal him? Will he still be able to fly 10-20 mile distances?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm sorry about your birds, but if you continue to let them free fly, they will eventually get killed by hawks. Can you post a picture of your bird? Front from a little above, and side view? Also, he will need antibiotics for those wounds. You don't want an infection.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can you get Clavamox?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm....should I just let them fly once I get back from school (3:00 most days, some times at 5:00). When are hawks most active? Is 5:00 pm too late to start flying? I'll look around for Clavamox

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Do you have a vet?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can you get antibiotics from him/her? Flush out the wounds and apply antibiotic cream?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
However his wing looks fully recovered (he flies w/o problems)

Yes...it is the same kind of clavamox used on dogs and cats.

The potential problem is that the hawk had bacteria on his talons that can kill your pigeon or the punctures can cause an abscess which is why antibiotics are recommended. Further more...birds pretend to feel OK even when they aren't, which is a natural defense from predators and so if in the days that follow, your bird is noticeably sick, he has been that way until he can no longer pretend.

G

·
Do you guys know a specific store that sells Clavamox? My local Petco doesn't.
you would have to get that at your vet , and as to the flying question , dont fly them unless you are out there with them.. so after school would be fine but there is no set time when hawks are active , around here they are active all thru out the day .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But is 5:00 too late? That's around when I give them their evening feeding, and they are settling in for the night... As for the antibiotics: I figured I needed to give him something soon, but since I didn't have Clavamox, I gave him some (human) antibiotic cream. It's called Triple Antibiotic Ointment. I know I shouldn't be asking this now, but is that okay? My only concern now is that he will do a little taste-test to see what is on his leg, and I'm not sure that's exactly GOOD for him.

G

·
5:00 is fine ,thats when I let my birds out to fly during the summer months in the evening , as long as there is enuf daylight for at least an hour after you let them out they should be fine, just feed them when you want them to come back in ... the cream is fine too but it doesnt help them internally which is what is needed to keep the infections from happening on the intramuscular scale which is why you should use clavamox after a hawk or cat attack has happened .. you could even just call your vet and ask them if they would write you a prescription for it for your bird since it was attacked by a hawk so you dont have to pay for an office visit ,that would be your best bet but not all vets are willing to work with you on that standpoint so just call and see if they will .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys! Also, I was wondering why my pigeons aren't venturing out yet. I know it's a stupid question, and the answer is probably that they're still in shock, but they haven't even ventured out on the landing board. It's already been 4 days since the attack, and all they do is huddle on the perch, puffing up a teeny bit. They don't even seem interested in food! Usually, when I give them food, they immediately fly down and start eating, but recently they don't blink an eye. Shock maybe? I would have expected them to get over it by now, and at least eat and perhaps sit on top of the loft. Yup, a stupid q i know.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Thanks guys! Also, I was wondering why my pigeons aren't venturing out yet. I know it's a stupid question, and the answer is probably that they're still in shock, but they haven't even ventured out on the landing board. It's already been 4 days since the attack, and all they do is huddle on the perch, puffing up a teeny bit. They don't even seem interested in food! Usually, when I give them food, they immediately fly down and start eating, but recently they don't blink an eye. Shock maybe? I would have expected them to get over it by now, and at least eat and perhaps sit on top of the loft. Yup, a stupid q i know.
Have you tried to get any antibiotics for the injured bird yet? If infection sets in and you lose the bird, you will regret not getting any. If you are going to fly your birds, you are going to need it anyway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts