Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I saw the first attack, by a hawk on my pigeons. About noon 4 pigeons were on the lawn. A grey, peaked wing, hawk attacked. The pigeons all flushed with hawk in pursuit. They were gone, out of sight, for over an hour. Then I spotted my pigeons flying very high. Finally they come down and in to coop. All but one. He returned before dark. Apparently they outflew the hawk by going very high.:)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Hawks can cause as many lost birds as birds they actually kill. As yous said pigeons will go high to avoid the attacks, and if you have let them out late in the day the hawk may hang around for them to come down. When they do it will attack again, and it will continue these attacks until it catches one or they are driven up into the night. As darkness falls they will often chase the sun up higher into the sky until they are lost. The pigeons refuse to descend through the darkness. I have gotten birds back the next morning that came down from great heights at dawn, but I have also lost groups of birds. You have to be careful about when the birds are released when hawks are moving around and avoid late evening releases.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have found the opposite. I have many less hawk attacks when I let my birds out late in the day than at any other time. For me the worst is late morning early afternoon. I have found when the crows are flying back to their roost for the night that is the best time for them to be let out to loft fly. I had let them out earlier than normal the other day and I had a hawk chase them for hours. Every time they came into land he was waiting. Finally he left just before dark and all birds came in. I guess it all depends on what part of the country and what types of hawks you have.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies

The big thing, I suppose, is which breed of hawk I am dealing with.
This time of year and later we have many different hawks migrate through.
Since a shotgun is not allowed, I will just have to hope for the best.
Do you suppose just shooting in the air would the loud bang scare them away? The penalty for shooting a bop is too much to take the chance.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hey whitedove!!!
Good Lord everyone returned safely!!! Please lock your birds up until hawks migration is over. It all the way more important to lock them up especially if your place falls into hawks migratory path.
You can let your birds out (only for exercising) at different times of the day and don't let them wander around in your yard after they return cuz' now the hawk knows your birds are there for grabs. Hawks/falcons are adpative and intelligent so they behave differently at different places. My birds faced most attacks at dawn and dusk when light is dim. Hawks/falcons can see well at that time but pigeons not that well.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The big thing, I suppose, is which breed of hawk I am dealing with.
This time of year and later we have many different hawks migrate through.
Since a shotgun is not allowed, I will just have to hope for the best.
Do you suppose just shooting in the air would the loud bang scare them away? The penalty for shooting a bop is too much to take the chance.
If you are in the US the hawks that will give you the most troubles are Cooper's Hawks. They are pigeon killing machines. When they find a loft where birds are flown they will hide out waiting on the birds to be released. They tend to hunt from ambush of tree cover. They are not as effective on the homers as on smaller birds but the can take them down, and even when the don't kill them outright they can cause some nasty injuries.

The roller fliers in some parts of the US are locking down their birds for months during the winter due to losses from Cooper's Hawks and falcons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.