Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From your over the year experiences, what breed is the hardest to end up as hawk food?
Highflyers, racing homers etc...
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with both of you, but what my question is asking is what breed performs the best to get away from the hawk.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Racing homers in flight are the fastest. I believe most hawks cannot catch a homer in flight. Most homers eaten by hawks are picked off loft roofs at rest.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Racing homers in flight are the fastest. I believe most hawks cannot catch a homer in flight. Most homers eaten by hawks are picked off loft roofs at rest.
A Peregrine sure can.

G

·
its true none are really safe on the roof or in the air depending on what preditors you have in your area ...if you have coopers in your area it really doesnt matter how fast your birds are cuz its when they are landing or have landed is when they grab your birds ..now if you have a peregrine around they pretty much arent safe anywhere out side your loft :eek:

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
An healthy, adult racing pigeon can outfly other birds in level flight. But diving hawks and falcons have the advantage, especially on an unaware or less experienced bird.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Charis is right!
Just some info:
Racing pigeon - max speed 110 km/h
Peregrine falcon - attack speed 288 km/h
It is like race between family car and F1. :(
In Europe some fanciers breed rollers to protect their racers form hawk attack.
Rollers are slower and that gives a chance for escape to racers.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have watched my Tumblers out manuver Hawks a few times, I had a small Hawk, just get tail feathers and my Tumbler flipped out of his grab, the Hawk couldn't turn down as fast as my Tumbler did.. Just lost a few tail feathers.. I saw the whole show, wish I would have had a movie camera rolling...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Charis is right!
Just some info:
Racing pigeon - max speed 110 km/h
Peregrine falcon - attack speed 288 km/h
It is like race between family car and F1. :(
In Europe some fanciers breed rollers to protect their racers form hawk attack.
Rollers are slower and that gives a chance for escape to racers.
Good grief!!! :eek:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about highflyers once they get up there its hard for the hawks to get them, and they will eventually give up right?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Sure it is difficult to get them.
Serbian High-flyer has maximum altitude 10,000 feet.
Only Bald Eagle can reach these heights. The slight problem is that what goes up, must come down! :)
Fortunately birds of prey are not limited to pigeons only and if you have hawk attack usually helps to close pigeons for couple of days until bird goes hunting somewhere else.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oriental rollers are supposed to be the best at avoiding hawks. fast, nimble and able to drop out of the way of an attack. Some of the oriental breeders say that they let thier flock fly around hawks to cull out the ones they didn't need in the first place.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Good grief!!! :eek:
, here are the speeds of the falcon in pursuit which is different than diving. also you folks in the more middle and eastern states, they will be few a far between as their range is on the west /south west north america.

The Peregrine Falcon is a very fast flier, averaging 40-55 km/h (25-34 mph) in traveling flight, and reaching speeds up to 112 km/h (69 mph) in direct pursuit of prey. During its spectacular hunting stoop from heights of over 1 km (0.62 mi), the peregrine may reach speeds of 320 km/h (200 mph) as it drops toward its prey.

I would say any athletic breed including ferals, can out fly hawks...which are not falcons.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Catalonians can and do outmanuever and outfly hawks. Some racing pigeon fanciers keep them and let them out, to frustrate the hawks, before letting the racers out to exersize. The hawks get so frustrated chasing the Cat's, that they are either too tired to chase the homers, or too disheartened to chase them. Wild life doesn't like to waste energy any more than they have to. So the hawks get a lesson from the Cat's, that the pigeons at that location are almost impossible to catch, and the hawks just watch them, or more on.

Try them. There is another breed that is even better at frustrating hawks and in fact, tease hawks to chase them. But they are rare in the U.S. "Escampadissa's". I have been trying to buy some for quite awhile now, and can not find any available. If you know of any, let me know please.

http://www.cichlidlovers.com/birds_cats_bill_hart.htm

Flying Oriental Rollers also do well, but there are show and performing of this breed. You would need the "performers" (flying).

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
There is also a type of pigeon that i heard nothing will go after. But i forget the name, I think from what i remember the pigeon would attack the halk back.
Uh. That would be interesting, but I have never heard of such a thing.

Maybe "pigeons with attitudes" is a new breed. :) (gee, maybe I should copyright that phrase before T-Shirts start showing up with it on them). ")

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Racers can still outfly falcons in level flight, especially once the maneuvering comes into play.

There are a type of pouters that are said to chase off hawks. I'll see if I can find the link.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts