Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just found and joined your forum in the hopes someone might be able to offer me some advice on an injured pigeon. A hawk dropped it in our backyard yesterday evening. One of its wings looked droopy so we put our kids sandbox cover against our back wall to give it some shelter for the night. We'd hoped he'd recover and fly away but he's still here. I put some rice crispies and O's cereal out and water this morning and as of 2:30 he's eaten it all and is sitting under the sandbox cover. When I approach he gets very scared and definitely can't use that one wing-he runs to the other side of the yard. I read on another thread about antibiotics for a dove attacked by a cat. It's very large so I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to help it. I live in Sherman oaks California and called the rescue wildlife way station and I guess unless its the native pigeon, which I don't think it is, no one's going to be able to treat it. Our gardeners are coming 8am tomorrow and its going to freak the bird out. What are my options? Also, I can't figure out how to post a photo, if needed. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Aha figured out the photo posting. Here are 2 - it's as close as I can get. Also - update - upon closer inspection it doesn't look like he's eaten anything....thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Thanks for joining the forum.
First of all, he cannot fly, so he has to be confined in a laundry basket, pet carrier or big cardboard box. A cat or any other predator can get him easily. It is pigeon. Does it have a ring /band on the leg.

If you have amoxicillin you should administer 25 mg in the morning and 25 mg in the evening, if it a pill, to be cut in pieces accordingly and you pop it in the back of the beak. What kind of human antibiotics do you have?I see his wing swollen, infection it's building up.
There's a way to bandage the pigeon's wing in figure 8. Hope someone pops to help. if it's broken he will never fly if not taken care properly. Do have a vet close by? Pigeon bones heal up very fast and heal with joint uneven.

He needs a healthy diet now after this attack to fight off any infection and fresh water daily.

Please bring him in the house. There's nothing contagious to humans. Just wash your hands after handling him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you could come by and even pick up that would be awesome!! We have Passover tonight. With 2 kids- 3 and 18 months - I don't think I can give it the care it needs. When could you come?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Please confine the pigeon in a box until Hamlet comes to p/u.
Thank you Hamlet. Please keep us updated on this thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you hamlet for coming by to get him! I'm sure he is in good hands now :) pls let me know how he does - the kids will be interested!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hello and you're welcome. It got stronger and louder. I decided to skip the antibiotics. Its appetite has gotten better. It is not so afraid of me and it gives me a wing slap and bites gently. I put a tape cast over its left wing. I am still looking for its owner. Nice meeting you and family. Thanks. I will get back in two weeks to update on your found bird.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
great news!

That's great news! It was fun to chat with you and meet you both :) We look forward to hearing more about her!

·
Registered
805 Posts
4 Dima

Hello. The wing was still a little off so I have it taped differently. It did not do good with the body wrap, so I compromised and only taped her wing partially. Then it started falling upside down, so I taped the ends together for almost two weeks. I am hoping that in a week there will be a little visual improvements to this bird's wing, so I can continue for another week with the tape cast. I am still not sure of its gender, but it acts like a boy and likes attention when there is no one around. It likes small seeds mainly. I am trying to figure out why it is having green colored soft to runny stool. I have already deloused it and gave a worm out gel for worms, but nothing came out. I am hoping once it is off the cast, it will get back to having normal droppings. I am glad it is a friendly bird.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I tried two different figure eights but only one lasted. Because it kept stepping on its own wing and a toe would always get stuck in the bandage and make it sit down and not be able to get up. It sometimes makes this noise like it was chocking on its saliva, then it goes away in less than half a minute. I have only heard this when one of my birds got hit by a hawk and I put it on antibiotics. It cleared fast so I am not sure if the meds. helped or not. I think the antibiotic did magic. I am thinking of putting this bird on AMTYL antibiotic. The stool has gotten a regular shape , but it is still light green. I have decided to wrap this birds wing for the last time and do the body wrap method even though it is not going to like it and is going to spend many hours sitting down on the wire floor. I have also give this bird two gel fish caps per week. I may have to make an e collar type thing because it has gotten good at tearing away the bandages. I will try to get a picture after the wrapping. Here is a good cite for info on the wing wrap: http://www.lafebervet.com/emergency-medicine/birds/how-to-guide-wing-wrap-placement-in-birds/
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
That's a great video.
I do not know about AMTYL antibiotic ( may be someone could help; i usually give amoxicillin when they are attacked by hawks), Fish gel caps are highly fatty and could make him like throwing up. If you want to avoid throwing up give him a few drops of Pepto Bismol.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
hamlet;737768[B said:
]I tried two different figure eights but only one lasted. Because it kept stepping on its own wing and a toe would always get stuck in the bandage and make it sit down and not be able to get up. [/B] It sometimes makes this noise like it was chocking on its saliva, then it goes away in less than half a minute. I have only heard this when one of my birds got hit by a hawk and I put it on antibiotics. It cleared fast so I am not sure if the meds. helped or not. I think the antibiotic did magic. I am thinking of putting this bird on AMTYL antibiotic. The stool has gotten a regular shape , but it is still light green. I have decided to wrap this birds wing for the last time and do the body wrap method even though it is not going to like it and is going to spend many hours sitting down on the wire floor. I have also give this bird two gel fish caps per week. I may have to make an e collar type thing because it has gotten good at tearing away the bandages. I will try to get a picture after the wrapping. Here is a good cite for info on the wing wrap: http://www.lafebervet.com/emergency-medicine/birds/how-to-guide-wing-wrap-placement-in-birds/
Thanks.

When wrapped, the wing has to be held in it's normal position. If he was stepping on the wing, then it was too low and not in normal position.
But this is almost a month later. I wouldn't wrap it now, as it is probably healed by now, good or bad position. If kept wrapped too long and the bird isn't allowed to move the wing, it can freeze in that position.
If you don't know where the break is, than a bit harder to help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts