Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dads pigeon was attacked by a hawk but managed to fly back to the loft. You can see inside the body from the neck wound. Vets or rescues were not an option.

He put turmeric around the wound to act as an antibiotic. His head seems a little puffy now but not the body. The water was seeping out from the bottom of the red line in the picture, but seems like that has lessened now.

The pigeon is alert, eyes wide open but closes them slowly if I close mine, and eating and drinking water. We’re keeping it warm. Is there anything more that we can do? Will that skin attach by itself?
Bird Beak Feather Wing Wood
Bird Beak Feather Art Wing

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
I dont know if the skin will reattach by itself. Our beloved Phoebe was nearly decapitated but the vet fixed her up. Is your bird missing skin or just feathers?

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Can you check on his breast if the crop is injured? Water seeping out sounds like he might have a hole in the crop. I've never tried this, but I've read online that one can do a mixture of honey and sugar to heal a small wound in the crop. The sugar will harden and close up the area. If there's a hole, might be worth a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you check on his breast if the crop is injured? Water seeping out sounds like he might have a hole in the crop. I've never tried this, but I've read online that one can do a mixture of honey and sugar to heal a small wound in the crop. The sugar will harden and close up the area. If there's a hole, might be worth a try.
It seems to have closed up now, my dad said it was a very small hole, I suggested the honey and sugar as well. It’s been 3 days now and the water is no longer seeping out.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
That's good. He might need antibiotics for infection. You can rinse the wounds with saline water and put an antibiotic cream on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is eating well and drinking water and nothing is spilling out anymore.

We’re planning to spray a saline solution that I bought for piercings and apply polysporin but I read that the +pain relief one is harmful if ingested so we’re going to go back and exchange it for the normal one.

The droppings are firm dark green and white. I read that isn’t a good sign but I’m not too sure what issue would be causing that.

Any insight is appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
If the wound start smelling bad, he will need some oral antibiotics for infection. Can you get amoxycillin for treatment? Green droppings can be a sign of infection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the wound start smelling bad, he will need some oral antibiotics for infection. Can you get amoxycillin for treatment? Green droppings can be a sign of infection.
I do have amoxicillin in 500mg powder form

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would I put 25mg of the amoxicillin powder in the water and do that for 5 days? I know it’s 25mg twice daily but I’m unsure how that would work with the powder form since it’s not a pill we can give.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
No. He needs 40 mg twice a day. You can empty the capsule and divide the powder in 4 heaps of 125 mg each. Then split each heap into 3 and you will have 12 heaps of 40 mg each. Enough for 6 days.

Take a small piece of wet bread, cover with powder and put deep inside his beak to swallow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No. He needs 40 mg twice a day. You can empty the capsule and divide the powder in 4 heaps of 125 mg each. Then split each heap into 3 and you will have 12 heaps of 40 mg each. Enough for 6 days.

Take a small piece of wet bread, cover with powder and put deep inside his beak to swallow.
Okay, thank you very much Marina.

·
Registered
21 Posts
G’day

That’s a seriously nasty wound.

Why was the vet ‘not an option’?

Just like to let you know of this person on youtube who does everything organically including healing similar nasty holes in pigeon skin, right through to the crop. She does it 100% naturally with high quality essentially oils (DoTERRA) and high quality clay (Organic green Italian clay) and creates a paste that is antiseptic. The paste goes over the wound and bridges the pieces of skin and encourages healing. Clay is negatively charged and draws out toxins and bacteria and has been used for thousands of years to get rid of deep infections. Just make sure the bird is always hydrated as the clay can draw out moisture and dehydrate the bird. This person leaves the clay on for days/weeks, but continues to add good quality essential oils to the clay if she thinks the infection is not improving (adds to the clay whilst on the bird, in a dried state). The oils she chose were lavender and tea tree oil. If you try this method make sure you get genuine essential oils because many available are cheap but just fragrance oils, not true essential oils which have the healing properties and can fight infection.

DoTERRA is the best but other places do perfectly acceptable oils like N-Essentials as long as these are not ingested.
You can also get onto a holistic, natural vet who could provide you advice over the phone or email if you explain your situation thoroughly, that way you have medical guidance during this extremely distressing time!!! It’s a very confronting and awful wound. Good luck and keep us posted about this poor pigeon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
https://www.ahvets.com.au/complete_list.php
Here’s a list of natural vets in Australia who have qualifications in conventional medicine but also natural medicine such as herbal remedies and oils. I personally have used the Natural Vets in Qld (Forest Glen) for the past 12 years with my german shepherd dog plus my pigeons, they are fantastic. I have never met them face to face – but instead consulted with them every single time over the phone. You could find someone who offers a similar service nearby or do a distance consult.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
G’day

That’s a seriously nasty wound.

Why was the vet ‘not an option’?

Just like to let you know of this person on youtube who does everything organically including healing similar nasty holes in pigeon skin, right through to the crop. She does it 100% naturally with high quality essentially oils (DoTERRA) and high quality clay (Organic green Italian clay) and creates a paste that is antiseptic. The paste goes over the wound and bridges the pieces of skin and encourages healing. Clay is negatively charged and draws out toxins and bacteria and has been used for thousands of years to get rid of deep infections. Just make sure the bird is always hydrated as the clay can draw out moisture and dehydrate the bird. This person leaves the clay on for days/weeks, but continues to add good quality essential oils to the clay if she thinks the infection is not improving (adds to the clay whilst on the bird, in a dried state). The oils she chose were lavender and tea tree oil. If you try this method make sure you get genuine essential oils because many available are cheap but just fragrance oils, not true essential oils which have the healing properties and can fight infection.

DoTERRA is the best but other places do perfectly acceptable oils like N-Essentials as long as these are not ingested.
You can also get onto a holistic, natural vet who could provide you advice over the phone or email if you explain your situation thoroughly, that way you have medical guidance during this extremely distressing time!!! It’s a very confronting and awful wound. Good luck and keep us posted about this poor pigeon.
Hi there, we actually ran across that video last night and put some clay on the pigeon. I’m not sure if it helped, more water than before seems to be coming out of the cut.

The vet was not an option because we cannot keep pigeons on residential properties here.

The pigeon is very alert when it comes to eating food when we give it, but it ends up coming out and then it will eat the food again and eventually it goes in. We tried closing up the hole but it’s not working.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you tried the honey and sugar mixture?
I’ll ask my dad to try that tonight or he might try the clay again. More water is coming out but less seeds. I’ll update again once we try one of these tonight

1 - 20 of 20 Posts