Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( hi out there a hawk got one of my father pigeon . hen still feeding , but the babies they do seem to be growing slower . lucky for me or bad luck this this is the first time a hawk has got one of my birds while he has chicks in the nest . it seems that the dads feed more at the later part of their growth period ? any advice or experience to share. thanks

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Your right, The cock does do most of the feeding towards the end, I am lucky that my old racers will adpot anything on the ground that squeeks, aslong as one pair already has something on the ground they will take on anything else, At times I have 10 or so fledglings being fed by all the pairs in the loft. Not sure if this is very common though. The other option is for you to supplement them, I find peas easy to roll down their throat

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
It depends on the hen also. I have a couple of 'mistress' hens that do it all by themselves.....incubate and feed until weaned, while her 'lover' is off with his 'wife' taking care of 'their' nest.
She might stick closer to them if dad's not around, but as NZ Pigeon said, you might have to supplement their feedings. I would keep a close eye on them to make sure they are staying warm and being fed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Btw, if I c that hungry hawk, Ill show him where pollo loco is at so he wont bother birdies. My neighbor lost a male rooster. I think I lost a female pigie cuz of a cooper hawk n all the feral pigies that been disappearin ever since sum came n next on the roof. i can only do so much

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
This is why it isn't a good idea to fly birds with chicks in the nest. You may need to feed them.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I second the good idea not to fly your birds on babies or hatching eggs where there are Birds of prey which is pretty much everywhere except perhaps the south pole.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
They have falcon , harrier, and morepork in all parts of New Zealand, according to wingspan birds of prey trust they have a sightings map as well. It seems there were dots all over north and south NZ. Im sure they are not anyway as populated as they are here though. Not sure where you live shadowoak but it only takes one, so you may have hawks coming through and resident ones too.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
They have falcon , harrier, and morepork in all parts of New Zealand, according to wingspan birds of prey trust they have a sightings map as well. It seems there were dots all over north and south NZ. Im sure they are not anyway as populated as they are here though. Not sure where you live shadowoak but it only takes one, so you may have hawks coming through and resident ones too.
Yes but in the canterbury plains where we are miles from high country they are extremely rare, I have met many pigeon fanciers in NZ and not heard of issues with BOP so the risk is maybe 1 in 1000. Harriers are to slow from what I have heard, Moreporks are extremely rare down south and falcons are also incredibly rare. The fact that we have a sightings map indicates their rarerity, Imaine if you guys had a sightings map in the USA, I do not think there would be any map left visible once you put your dots all over it.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
LOL! You're very lucky! We could send you some of ours if you feel left out.:D
Thanks Jay3 for the offer, I have to turn it down though. I like letting my pigeons out everyday of the year without having to worry about whether they will come back. In the 4 years I have been flying pigeons from this property I have never lost a " Homed " bird

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
About flying them . I had had them locked up for a long time . I was trying to separate them when letting them out . They had been locked up for a long time do to other babies . I was trying to keep him in and he slipped out .

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Yes but in the canterbury plains where we are miles from high country they are extremely rare, I have met many pigeon fanciers in NZ and not heard of issues with BOP so the risk is maybe 1 in 1000. Harriers are to slow from what I have heard, Moreporks are extremely rare down south and falcons are also incredibly rare. The fact that we have a sightings map indicates their rarerity, Imaine if you guys had a sightings map in the USA, I do not think there would be any map left visible once you put your dots all over it.
we do have sighting maps and even lookout stops to see birds of prey or for their fans to see them I guess, so it is not unusual to have those things. Birds of prey are ALMOST everywhere ( except the south pole according to the BBC) so I do not want people to fool themselves just because they have not seen one their birds are fine..but it would be pretty nice to have such a low population as you do.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
About flying them . I had had them locked up for a long time . I was trying to separate them when letting them out . They had been locked up for a long time do to other babies . I was trying to keep him in and he slipped out .

That is too bad, he was at the wrong place at the wrong time.. accidents happen, you can try to help feed the young one by hand feeding him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts