Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 40 of 92 Posts
G

·
Many domestic pigeon breeds are at a severe disadvantage for survival in the wild. This is because people breed them for big tails, large muffs, abnormal flying, and other ridiculous criteria humans place importance on. Letting these birds free fly is like putting a poodle in a room with a wolf.

And as for this statement:

If ya dont let em fly...will they ever really be happy? I mean come on...I am not into caging an animal for its entire life just so I can look at it.
Why do you have them if not to look at? You fly them so you can look at them. You put them in a kit box so they'll perform for you, right? What you do with them is for your benefit, not the birds. I'll bet if you could ask them, the birds would tell you they would rather live in safety and comfort with their families than have to fly for their lives, disadvantaged, for some humans enjoyment.

G

·
have you ever heard them make their breeding call , its like right out of jurassic park when they were being chased by velociraptors lol once you hear it you will never forget it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hawks do not do it in the air like eagles. I watch two do it on a branch earlier this year before I found their nest. Beautiful birds and, like my birds, beautiful to watch fly. I just wish they had different eating habits.

The Hawks are good training for homing pigeons in that they learn this one danger to watch for. This is why I release my old birds first, they already know and make great lookouts. My young birds are not strong on the wing yet and the Hawk's nest being so close make them easy food. But as they get stronger they wil learn.

Because, like little John, I do not like prisoners.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Sahsa, these birds live to fly.. they would not be on this earth except for their flying skills to lock them up is a Sin against one of Gods finest Creatures...And most likely a sin in god's Eye's.
We are NOT Talking about fantails, Owls, Frigatas, Jacobins, Trumpeters, Parlor tumblers, Modenas, Frills, Kings, Runts, Lahores, Show rollers, Show Budapests, Ice pigeons,Mookees, Larks,Moorheads,Maltese, Magpies,Mondains,Swallows,Blondinettes, Nuns, Pouters... Ect., Ect. Dave

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
YES! the Cooper's breeding Call is something to Hear! Mini Taradayctales (spelling) LOL! I Love them! I like the best of the whole shebang!
I like the garter sankes that eat the toads, but i love the toads, and i like the herons that try to eat my koi, and i like my Koi....Life is a balancing act of being OPEN minded. One individual in nature means nothing..... IT is the big picture that matters. Dave

G

·
YES! the Cooper's breeding Call is something to Hear! Mini Taradayctales (spelling) LOL! I Love them! I like the best of the whole shebang!
I like the garter sankes that eat the toads, but i love the toads, and i like the herons that try to eat my koi, and i like my Koi....Life is a balancing act of being OPEN minded. One individual in nature means nothing..... IT is the big picture that matters. Dave
Dave your hitting the bottle again arent you lol cheers :p

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hey, Lakota. Not the originals, at least not until i have a Large flock to work with, my goal is next Spring. same with the orientals. Waited way to long too risk them, PLUS to many people went out of their way to help me have them...;) Oh, that's right you know all about that! LOL! Thanks again! Dave

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Why do you have them if not to look at? You fly them so you can look at them. You put them in a kit box so they'll perform for you, right? What you do with them is for your benefit, not the birds. I'll bet if you could ask them, the birds would tell you they would rather live in safety and comfort with their families than have to fly for their lives, disadvantaged, for some humans enjoyment.
I refuse to argue the point of raising a performing bird just to look at. They are at their happiest when they are flying, and I intend to fly them. It is sad to see when one is taken in the sky, but we also have the thing they call the circle of life.

My enjoyment of watching them is merely a side note of their lives. When they fly up high and roll and come back in and raise their young to do the same...well...that's what I feel brings them happiness.

Truth is.....no one makes it out of this thing we call life....alive.

My birds are spoiled rotten, and live very well. The chances they take when they fly are no different than the chances we take, trying to survive every day...that's reality.

Grasp it...:)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Actually, only three Milwaukees best. It just rubs me the Wrong way when people get so high and mighty about something they do not understand, or even want too understand. Performance pigeons Fly, Ducks swim, dogs bark,
my teenage boys EAT, and a lot! LOL! Nature is not just in the wild, it is about time Mankind learned to interact with it and see it for what it is. GOD ! Iam sounding like a preacher!
Saving the life of a feral or stray is Honorable, but to put down people who bring MILLIONS of new lives into the world because one goes to meet the good lord early is silly. JMHO Dave

G

·
I refuse to argue the point of raising a performing bird just to look at. They are at their happiest when they are flying, and I intend to fly them. It is sad to see when one is taken in the sky, but we also have the thing they call the circle of life.

My enjoyment of watching them is merely a side note of their lives. When they fly up high and roll and come back in and raise their young to do the same...well...that's what I feel brings them happiness.

Truth is.....no one makes it out of this thing we call life....alive.

My birds are spoiled rotten, and live very well. The chances they take when they fly are no different than the chances we take, trying to survive every day...that's reality.

Grasp it...:)

see this is where I have to dissagree with you .. do you really think all those guys killing birds of prey in cali that got arested thought that flying thier birds was a thing they had to except as a thing of natural elimination or taking the chance of losing their best birds .. they took the risk because they wanted to eliminate the risk of losing their awesome birds knowing that if hawks were around they wouldnt have a chance .. your birds lives will be immensely shortened taking that chance and its you who is putting their lives in that jeperdy ... birds fly yes but domestic pigeons are far from the natural order of the world of birds flying in the wild ..

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
well sit and look at yours then...no problem by me..

but mine will be in the sky, and I pray each time they are turned loose that they will return. To raise them just for me to observe in a cage, would be doing them a disservice, and that my friend....is what would bother me.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.