Pigeon-Talk banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Welcome Donn, I think what most people miss is the Cooper's are not air catchers, YES they will grab them out of the air after spooking them of the LOFT, Ect, If you train them to go up.... and fly, and come DOWN and trap you should be able to deal with it. IF your birds sit on top of your loft...... Good luck, you are just feeding the hawks.. Dave

G

·
wow Dave you got all that outtah something I never even said :rolleyes: first of all I dont color breed ,secondly I fly over 70 birds here almost every day now and never lost a single bird in flight for over two years so far and although the hawks hit my flock they have yet to catch one since last years youngbirds were being trained to loft fly..most everything you said doesnt even apply to me and I have hawks here every day of the week all thru out the day..only time I ever have to worry about my birds is when they are coming in for the trap but I bet you this ,that if you flew rollers here they would all be gone in no time at all .I used to fly my tipplers but them being such slow flyers the hawks had no problems taking them right out of the air .I know the hawks around here very well and you are kidding yourself if you think your birds will continually out fly them , im not saying they will get them all but people who fly their birds are going to have to except that they are going to lose them all thru out the year.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Well i like you to much to argue about his any more, i never lost a tippler to the cooper's here. Colby jack might come and get the ROLLERS that have made it though 4 years of Cooper's nesting 150 feet in front of my loft this weekend.I guess it was a miracle, i started with 4 pair, still have 7 originals, all flown every year, plus gave away more young then i can remember, and still have the young i breed this year... What can i say? you need to stay off those roller websites... Dave;)

G

·
I guess it doesnt help being that my loft is surrounded by tall trees and thicks woodlands ,it makes those ambushes that much more easy to take place ,slow birds just dont last here long and most times you dont even see it happen , you just notice birds that go missing :eek:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Look i like you and you have been very descent. this weekend if i remember, i will take pics of all the trees, and wires around my loft....
With rollers the method is to get them up Quick, when they are done flying, get them to trap fast. if they roof sit, you will loose a bunch. Remember, Cooper's do not take them in the air, they Spook them when they are SITTING, THEN take them in the air.JMVHO Dave

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Those people that got arrested are not color breeders. They compete in roller competition. Those fireball roller are deep rollers. I think the hawk just waits until those birds get tired and hits them. That is the way my resident hawks does it. It waits on a tree where my loft happens to be, then when my birds land it attacks them. It will also wait to the next door neighbor's tree. I tried throwing something in the air to scare it, but it learned to ignore me. My observation is that hawks adapt as well. I still remember that hawk vividly waited for my birds on a tree for almost one hour until my birds started landing. Then it swooped. Very clever. I have also observed that some hawks just don't have much patience and leave the place if they didn't get any the first try. I like those. The persistent ones I don't like. Thus far this spring the hawk is ignoring my birds. I suppose there are a lot of other foods out there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Welcome Donn, I think what most people miss is the Cooper's are not air catchers
News to me. I have had coopers hit twice this year and both times, the birds were in the air, coming in towards the loft.

Coopers can and most definitely do catch these birds in the air....

But it isn't worth gettin upset about. Have a nice day.

G

·
News to me. I have had coopers hit twice this year and both times, the birds were in the air, coming in towards the loft.

Coopers can and most definitely do catch these birds in the air....

But it isn't worth gettin upset about. Have a nice day.
LittleJohn you are sooo right , its gonna happen reguardless of what you do in the air or on your roof top .. you can only derter them so much and the rest is out of your hands once your birds leave your loft door or kitbox ..you just gotta try and keep the losses to a minimum by flying smart and being aware of the surrounding area as best you can and when they are not around enjoy your birds for all its worth ;)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I saw with my own eyes that Coopers can catch prey from the air. One is with sparrow and several are my birds. Obviously both prey and predator falls to the ground. Nevertheless, I think hawks do more damage ambush style where the bird is just sitting down and gets hit. I think that's what hawk uses more often as tactic.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
There is an artical on Heckkenklak.com on how to use fake owls to stop hawks. Mount them on poles put them up only when you fly your birds then take them down, that way the hawk wont get used to them.
Dave

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I have had an Owl decoy in front of my loft for years, The first Summer I used it I moved it around like they recommend, once or twice a day.
May have worked some, but i did not see a difference.
Maybe i should have Clarified my statement on Cooper's catching in the Air, They do attempt it, but i have seen even my slowest Old Cock bird get away from them, now that is when they are up and Flying, not coming in or taking off. Sitting, taking off, and Landing is what Cooper's prefer From what i have observed, and you can see by the Pics in photo Albums, i see them often and Spend hours in my watching them interact with my Pigeons. Unlike a Peregrine, which is VERY good at air strikes. JMHO Dave

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Chicago? I'd say it is a little north of us on the line. I went and looked at some more pictures of the hawks...and also found out that the two that are mentioned are often mistaken for one another. This bird has a very white belly and very definitive black spots on the underbelly and undersides of the tailfeathers. I am leaning more towards a peregrine, than a coopers, now that I have done some homework....

So far it has cost us two rollers this year, hpoefully it will migrate, and I will be able to fly in the next couple of weeks.

My trap training is going increasingly better, I have adjusted the feed, and now my kit birds are trapping(all of them) within the first few minutes of being on the trapcage. I used to have a couple who would hang out in the cage and look around for a while, but now it seems that I have their full attention.

I hope that this will also help prevent further attacks, in that they will trap quickly after they have flown.

It will be an interesting year, for sure.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Sounds like you have it under control. Getting them up to fly quick, and landing and trapping Quick is the best tool you have to avoid Losses, you will have some, but if you have only lost two, you are doing pretty good for Yourself! again, keeping the Window of "At risk time"(Getting them up, and getting them in) is the best management, not to mention, the best way to have a Good Team of TRAINED Rollers! Dave

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I feel your pain justice, I guess the best thing to do is learn the best way to prevent it from happening...that's what I am after, because I WILL fly my birds, and I will for sure do my best to prevent any hawk attacks...other than that...we just gotta do the best we can.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
My latest weapon is an auto fire plastic BB gun because I can spray at the hawks while they are flying overhead. Doesn't hurt them but it unnerves the hawks to have something attacking them while flying. I now got this nesting pair of hawks avoiding me. They even fly away from me when I am up the street at my neighbor's house.

So far I haven't lost a bird since I went on the attack and never leave my birds alone, (knock on wood). In some small way I'm a little sad. I did love watching the Hawks when my birds were locked up but now they will not let me near them.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.