Pigeon-Talk banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hawk's

You know we can complain all we want.The hawk's are here to stay!
I have a friend in England, has flown bird's for the last fifty year's. He live's next to a forest preserve. A pair of perigon's decided to nest not a 100 metre's away from his loft. He had bird watcher's out there, the local humane police watching (except when of those stealth's netted one of his bird's).
There was nothing he could do about it. And I think that's the case here in America. Our bird's either have to get hawk savvy or we keep them locked up.
Just my opinion, but I think over time our bird's will develope an inherhant hawk deterant mentality.
There are some great documentories on the subject. Check out the Discovery channel.
Excuse my English ( it's not me, it's my keyboard)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The owls don't work for long. They catch on eventually. And you'd have to keep moving it around. An owl that just sits in one place for days isn't very effective. That idea has been around for so long. If it worked against hawks, you'd have a run on fake owls, and a lot of happy flyers. And there would be no need for this thread. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Big T. has learned something i have always believed in, Startling ANY predator, is something they HATE. Anything that Startles them, that is repeated will Unnerve them, remember they are the ones Designed to startle. Even banging a garbage can lid will work, Heck I have even spooked them off a bird they were trying to hit by clapping my hands.
Varying it as Big T has, is the answer, so they do not get used to it.
As well as getting your birds up fast, and down, and in fast.
When i was a kid, the few hawks we had avoided people like the Plague, because the got shot at so much in the sixties... you can achieve the same effect by startling them. Whenever i am in the situation that my pigeons are loafing on the Roof, around here it is called, being in "Menu" Mode, and the Hawks read the "Menu" well. Dave
P.S. BUT do not startle a Bear, you might get Mauled! LOL!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I had one of the young kit birds fly by me as I was catching them for trap training tonight. He went up by himself and took a 10-15 minute flight around the place and landed on the workshop roof.

We got him up a couple times and he finally landed on the kitbox and went in the trap within a couple of minutes. I think I am finally getting closer to the right amount of food for them. This particular bird has never flown that long before, by himself or even with the other kit birds. I was fretting another hawk attack, but he went up about 30-40 feet and just circled and darted and finally settled on the kitbox, and trapped in.

I am looking forward to this summer when I can fly them daily, and not be so wary of the hawk situation.

Today was a good day.

The other 6 birds in the kit listened to the whistle and the can shaking, and trapped within one minute, so it is getting better every time, and I think they are starting to get the idea.

Does it get any better?

LittleJohn

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Good for you Little John! That is one of the Hardest points to get down with rollers, or Homers....how much too Feed. There is no set amount, except the point you start at. I can say it was hard for me, and still is.
I think that you are in control of your Birds. THAT is the way to Keep the hawks off of them.:D:D:D Dave

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
It is for sure a learning process. Truth be told, that bird that went on his own tonight, probably didn't eat, as the other kit birds went in quick, and went right to the feeder.

I will bet you this though, tomorrow, when I go to catch them, if he decides to escape again, that he will trap in right away instead of hanging out on the shop roof.

I was watching all around for the hawks, but he was lucky tonight. It was good to see him trap in as quick as he did, and I believe that is one of the keys to keeping them away from the hawks.

Every day gets better. I love it!

LittleJohn

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Today was a laugh. I let the birds out after work around 6:45pm. I went around the front of the house but caught sight of the hawk flying into my neighbor's yard behind my house. I sighted in on him from around the corner of my house so he didn't see me and fired just as he took off and came in for an attack. Full auto paint balls coming at him made him flare out to hit the brakes which also made him an open target. Poor thing got hit twice I think and I bet he didn't stop until he hit the next county. I could not have made that shot if I tried. I wasn't even expecting to hit him, just scare him like usual. Anyway I got one hawk with a little color in my neighborhood. I also had to clean my neighbor's back side of his house because the rest of the paint balls hit his house. Lucky I didn't hit a window.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
On the feed issue, I feed them for ten minutes then remove any left over food. Because of that my birds trap fast to eat. Except one hen who loves to fly, she will only trap at dark. That one I just can't figure, she knows when all the other birds trap including her mate and knows the food will not be there, but she flys and flys. She does eat well in the during morning feeding.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.